Would you go to a funeral at the Kingdom Hall?

by Dustin 56 Replies latest jw friends

• Dustin
    Dustin

So my brother and I have been having talks about what will happen when our dad passes away eventually. Most of his brothers and sisters have died in their 50's or early 60's. I flat out refuse to attend any part of the service that would be done at the Kingdom Hall. Is this wrong of me? I thought about it quite a bit recently, and even though it would be an emmotional time, I would not step a foot in that craphole of a cultish church. They are the ones who destroyed any relationship that I had with my parents! When the subject came up I couldn't believe how much anger I felt at just the thought of pulling in the parking lot of the Kingdom Hall.

I certainly would not want any of their "comfort". I don't know if I would even attend. It's really been upsetting to me lately, and even though I want to reach out to my parents and try and fix this, I know they are being mind controlled by a bunch of freaks. Should I try and fix this, or should I let them come to me?

• Beachbender
    Beachbender

I don`t think you`re likely to get to much comfort from anyone there anyway. When I went to my own dad`s service, it was very cold. Everyone stared at me like I had the plague, hardly anyone approached me. We had a small family only service at my folks house afterwards for the "real-blood" family, half were JW`s & half weren`t. I was completely miserable and wanted to be anywhere but where I was, I just wanted to go somewhere and remember my dad like I wanted to.

• daystar
    daystar

It's your father. You should go regardless of where the services are held. But if it's at the KH, I may suggest talking to some non-JW friends, explaining the situation, and asking them to go with, if only for the support.

• Dustin
    Dustin

Thanks Beachbender. I have been having a hard time with it more and more lately. I remember how it used to feel to have parents that actually seemed to care for you. Now that I think on my own it's like I'm evil. Thank you for the advice on the funeral. I am pretty sure that's exactly what would happen to me.

• Dustin
    Dustin

Daystar, none of my worldly friends know my parents. Most don't like them because of how they have treated me.

• ButterflyCharmer
    ButterflyCharmer

When the time comes, you might feel differently than you do now. Personally, i would not step foot in a KH unless it
    was a close family member.
    If your parents are not willing to put forth an effort to fix your relationship, you can always just assure them that you
    will always be open to a realtionship when they are ready, and just leave it at that. At least you leave the ball in their
    court. I did that with my family, they seem to be coming around little by little.
    Good luck, i hope that everything works out for you!

BC

• blondie
    blondie

I might go for the visitation if I there were non-JW people I knew I would only see there.

Otherwise, I would never sit through another JW funeral talk. These are never about the person but an "opportunity" to preach to the non-JWs present.

I went to one where the JW speaking couldn't even pronounce the person's name right.

Blondie

• Carol
    Carol

I guess I'm pretty lucky....in the part of the country where I grew up, the funeral is held in the funeral home and at the grave side. I'm sure when it's my mother's time, she will have a totally witness funeral.....my BIL is an elder and mom and my sister are pioneers!

However, if they do have it in the KH, I will go along with my ex-husband and our 2 children and their spouses or partners and act very dignified and proper. As much as I hate the KH.....I enjoy rubbing the fact that I have a life, even though I'm not a JW.

If you don't go, believe me, sometime in the future you will be sorry.......you'll need closure. Besides all of you friends at JWD will be here for you.....!

• Dustin
    Dustin

Blondie, that's what I'm afraid of. I couldn't handle hearing about the resurection "hope". I would be sad and pissed at the same time then. I think I am going to stick to my guns about not attending any kind of JW service.

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

I sure wouldn't go there alone Dustin. It is not that your friends don't like your family. It is do they like you?

If they do and I am sure they do, get several to surround you with the love and protection that worldly people have for others.

This would isolate you from the shunning crap the jw's will shower you with.

This way you can avoid the jw crap and send your father on his way in peace. Peace for him and you.

Outoftheorg

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit