Would you go to a funeral at the Kingdom Hall?

by Dustin 56 Replies latest jw friends

• Netty
    Netty
    Re: Would you go to a funeral at the Kingdom Hall?

Been there, done that, got the stress induced migraine headache, looks, sneers, comments, to go along with it. I promised myself never again, unless, of course God forbid, it would be my parents of siblings funeral. Then absolutley, of course I would.

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

Dustin, Im in a similar situation. My dad has an aortic aneursym (sp?) as well as severe artery blockage and some heart disease. I've been dealing with the reality that he won't be around for some years now. Although my father is an "unbeliever" I wonder if my mother will have the service at a KH or not. I think that she'll probablly have it at a funeral home because none of his family are witnesses. However Im sure that there will be JW's there to give my mother support.

Many of the posters are correct when they say that in this situation you need to do what your loved one would have wanted you to do. After all the service is for them and this is something that you will carry with you for the remainder of your life.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Blondie you are so sweet and to have what happened to you, I would do the same, never go to the funeral. That is so sad. Gee I want to tell you that you are one heck of a great person and we all love you. Dustin hugs too. and to the others who have lost parents you have my condolances.

When my mother passes away and I think it will be soon from what I have been told as she is quite ill. She turned 70 this year and still she hasn't contacted me or called or anything.I can't say what will happen when she dies. I am the oldest of course though she will have my sisters husband be in charge (he is such a jerk), He's in elder paradise. So I will have no say for sure. But if mom has any feelings for me whatsoever and i am not counting on that, she may decide to have the talk in the funeral home. Because when her mom passed she wasn't a JW yet out of love for those of us who were JW's she had her funeral in the funeral home. So I am hoping my mom has the same feelings for me. If not I am not prepared to go into the KHell, as I will not allow myself to be hurt by any witness what so ever.

Although many JW's I know well still talk to me and confide in me that they know there is no love in the congregations.

What ever the outcome I pray I have the strength to not cry. I want to be as unkind to them as they have treated me.

Monkey your plan sounds divine.

Nope and i don't care who it is i will not ever for anyone and anyreason walk into a cult room ever again, Won't my husband be surprised when his funeral is at a funeral home I really haven't decided if any jws will be allowed but it isn't looking to good
    Orangefatcat... =^.^=

• Ticker
    Ticker

I just wanted to say that I wouldn't want to go either, I dont blame you. It's hard when it's family though. Either way I agree with blondies comment

These are never about the person but an "opportunity" to preach to the non-JWs present.

Exactly the person means nothing but the Org is all important. Orwellian thinking at its best.

Ticker

• willyloman
    willyloman

Here's a thought. Plan a separate service that works for you (funerals are for the living, not the dead).

Then attend the bogus one at the KH, pay absolutely no attention to the sales talk that will be offered, and then when it's over, as a close family member, stand at the back of the Hall and shake hands with every person as they leave, thanking them AND inviting them to the funeral services that are scheduled for (fill in the blank).

This will irritate the hell out of them, and you'll have the last word.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

my mother & myself have been contemplating the same thing, as our gran is about 75 now and not getting any younger. I don't know if I could stomach going into a hall and listen to all of their regugitated rubbish. But we started having "fun" with the idea - How'd we'd rock up as say hippies blessing everyone, placing our mats on the floor and singing loud praises to the lord. Or how we'd cast out the demons before we walked into the hall. Or dress really really swauve you know, with a big black hat, a little black number, heels and a lil veil covering our eyes, on the arm of a hunkalishous man.

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

If my dad died I would, but I would stand at the back.....

and I certainly wouldnt be having any crap from elders wanting to talk to me again... you can imagine what they are like- thinking that because I have suffered a loss of a family member I might want to come back......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit