If you were bullied at school for being a JW kid..

by mtbatoon 48 Replies latest jw friends

• Carol
    Carol

I look at all your ages and chuckle! I'm sure you were all bullied in one way or another....however when I was growing up in the truth (late 50's early 60's) we didn't get bullied, they just beat us up....unfortunately, a lot of the anit-hate, anti-discrimination laws in affect in the US today were earned on the backs of the Blacks and the JW's.

If I went into detail on the abuse my brother and I took (because JW's don't fight back) we'd be here all day. Do I thank them, No way! All I can remember of my youth as a JW was worry as to whether or not I'd be able to stand in a hot field all day and not succumb to saying the pledge of allegience (after all the JW's in Africa were going through that every day according to the examples in the WT and Awake and at assemblies).

Wait, maybe I do thank them, because as soon as I got out on my own....I faded....!

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Urbanized - welcome

Talesin - love your responses.

I was bullied throughout my first year at Grammar school - no one ever spoke a word to me otherwise. In my second year I was labelled a Midwich Cuckoo - and then even the bullies kept away from me, lol.

• undercover
    undercover

I was bullied some.

Being a JW in school during the late 60s and 70s I really stood out as different. Dressing as if I came straight off the Leave it to Beaver show while everyone else was trying to look like John Lennon or Keith Richards was a little rough. So the bullying I suffered was mostly for being different.

Being different because of the religion and my parents adherence to it. I hated standing out. I wanted to fit in at least to some degree. But in every facet of school I was the oddball. Dress, clothes, no holidays, no sports, no friends. That takes a toll after a while. I learned to melt into the background. In every thing I did, I tried my damndest to not be noticed. If no one noticed me, no one would pick on me or make fun of me.

Over the years it has become part of my core personality. Even now that I am out and relearning a lot, including social skills, I prefer to be unnoticed and in the background. People that I have come to know after the JWs comment on how quiet and unassuming I am...at least until I get pushed into a corner. While it may be a hindrance in some aspects of life, this trait has actually helped me as I have faded away from being an active JW. A lot of people did not miss me. I didn't stand out while there, so by not being there, no one really noticed or cared.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

At this time I would prefer to remain silent should any past bullies have an "accident".

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

Urbanized-

Welcome to the board!! There's some really great people here!! (and of course, some really rotten ones!!)

I grew up in a real small town in Misery [oops, Missouri], I was harrassed on the bus because of the way we dressed. Also teased because I wasn't allowed any type of extra school activities, and everyone pretty well knew I wanted to.

shelley

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

I was abused by some of the teachers for being a witness more than the other kids. They learned not to mess with me pretty quickly.

I could never thank bullies; it's never right.

However, there were many comments that were made over the years by people who knew the witnesses for what they are. They didn't sink in at the time, but your mind will store that stuff up and it comes back to you when you are ready to hear.

I am thankful for all the people who dropped those little pearls of wisdom for me to remember when I needed them.

J

• damselfly
    damselfly

(((((((((((((hugs to all)))))))))))))

I feel bad for all of your experiences with bullying at school

The kids at my elementary school were very good to all us j'dubs. When we would have a substitute teacher or a new student move in, they would stick up for us in class regarding the anthem/flag, holiday activities etc. This might have because we didn't preach to them to though. We had 5 JW kids in my grade and only 2 of them wanted to be JW. The rest of us blended in.

If I had known that any JW kids were getting beaten up I would have come to their rescue. I couldn't punch but I was mean kicker

damselfly

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Yes I was bullied. And no I wouldn't thank them.

First I didn't have friends in the congregation. My dad wasn't a dub so my siblings, mother and were routinely excluded from everything. We didn't fit in. The girls my age in the cong were mean spiteful little cows encouraged by their jealous mothers. You could say fellow JW's bullied me.

I went to a primary school of little over 100 students. Everyone knew I was a JW. I made a 2 or 3 friends who didn't give me a hard time. The rest of my primary years were spent hiding from the bullies.

Then I went to high school. Now I was attending school with over a 1000 students. This was a culture shock within it self. I was hoping to keep my JW status quiet from everyone else. Unfortunately 2 girls from my congregation were now in my high school. They deemed it fit to publicise to as many people as they could that I was a JW, neglecting to let other people know that they were also. And so the bullying began again. But on a much grander scale.

I never did anything to prompt being bullied. I was a victim of a cult. I was forced to follow the rules of this cult. My youth was the saddest most depressing period of my life. Just remembering the pain brings tears to my eyes now...

If you can be grateful for some reason that you were bullied kudos to you. I could never do it. I would forgive them if they met me now and apologised because I am not a grudge holder. But a person can't forget that pain.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

My darling daughter and I were discussing the bullies of her schooldays. She didn't mention being bullied on account of her religion. Anyway, they didn't bother her for long. Her strategy was to gross them out, typically by chasing them and threatening to kiss them. Once she used this strategy to defend another kid who was being picked on.

GentlyFeral

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

I had one of those freaky j-dub families. I was sent to school in ankle-length dresses when all the other girls were wearing jeans. I wasn't allowed to have my hair cut. Every damn homework assignment I was given, my mother and her freaky husband would object to, always managing to find something about it that went against our effing cult beliefs. I was made to turn in "alternate" assignments instead, usually in the form of rambling essays on why everybody in the class except me was going to be murdered by God any day now. I wasn't allowed to participate in any extracurricular activities, such as school newspaper.

My grades slipped after we joined the cult. I went from a straight-A student, to barely passing my classes. When one teacher noticed the abrupt change and asked me about it, I told her that my family studied the Bible and related publications for hours on end, and that my parents considered this to be a far superior education than anything I'd learn in school. Also, as a girl, as long as I could write a shopping list, I had all the education I'd ever need. Other teachers started noticing my injuries (broken fingers and toes, my stepfather's favorite form of punishment,) a busted nose, bruises, cuts, burns. Also my extreme dislike of any males (a result of the molestation I was experiencing at home.) When they started asking too many questions, my parents yanked me from school and started "home schooling" me. This consisted of making me work on my stepfather's construction site all day and cleaning and cooking and...whatever...at night. It ended when I ran away at 15. I'm so full of hurt and rage when I think of how much I missed out on while I was used as a punching bag and slave by the people who were supposed to love and protect me.

But I'm rambling once again. Concerning the bullies at school, hell, they didn't matter all that much to me. I knew how to take a punch, and I used to welcome getting into fights, as it was the only outlet I had for my rage. But no, I wouldn't thank the kids that tried to hurt me; I'd like another shot at some of them, actually. I would thank the small percentage of teachers who tried to help me in various ways, however. Thank you, Mr. Padgett, for letting me talk. Thank you, Miss Escano, for trying to give me decent clothes when I was getting teased really badly. Thank you, Ms. Boyd, for introducing me to Isaac Asimov, and I'm sorry my stepfather tried to have you fired for it. Thank you, teacher whose name I can't remember, for calling the authorities on my parents. It helped to know that some people were compassionate and kind.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit