If you were bullied at school for being a JW kid..

by mtbatoon 48 Replies latest jw friends

• talesin
    talesin

No, I wouldn't thank them. My life at school was hell. But I forgive them, after all, they were only kids.

About 10 years ago, I was at a pub having lunch. The manager came up to my table and said "Are you ____, is that you? I'm ____ and we went to school together. I want to apologize for all the teasing and bullying I did to you. I've felt guilty about it all my life."

I got tears in my eyes, and told him not to worry, we were only children, and I had forgiven him long ago. (Also, it helped that he was only a prankster, not one of the scary kids who used to beat me on a regular basis.) I thanked him for his kindness, though, and told him how good it felt to know there were people in the world like him, who cared so much about others' feelings.

tal

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

Talesin I had a similar experience but in reverse....I never bullied anyone but I purposefully ignored the swot in my class because it wasnt cool to speak to her....we met up at a school reunion some years back only to discover that we had and have more in common than I was ever to imagine, same taste in music....similar wavelength and sense of humour....we couldve been great friends and because I was childish I missed out....children can be so cruel sometimes.

I wasnt bullied for being a JW but was bullied (cos I was a weed) until secondary school...but for reasons best kept offline I was an angry teenager and I was avoided by the known bullies because I gave as good as I got.

• talesin
    talesin

DB

I'm glad you got to know her. It feels good to make those reparations, huh? Good on ya! I would love to go to a HS reunion,,, unfortunately, since I didn't graduate, I never get notified of them. :( I have only run into 2 or 3 old schoolmates in my whole life, and they were so happy to hear I had left the JW. I never knew they cared!

xo

t

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

If you don't tell people, they don't know.

<---- fights back, and wins...

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

If you don't tell people, they don't know.

<---- fights back, and wins...

• Undecided
    Undecided

No. I had a worldly friend there that lived next to me out in the country and we were like brothers. He and I were the biggest ones in our class so no one would pick on us. I did have one guy who picked on me for about a year and I got fed up on it and we fought.(This was before I grew up) He didn't bother me after that. My school buddy still lives over on the old homeplace.

Ken P.

• mtbatoon
    mtbatoon

As always different situations cause different responses, though my bullying was only occasionally physical, mainly name calling and exclusion, I can see now how it was used to force me to conform to the social norm. I look on it as society knocking me into shape rather than individual kids having fun at my expense. As a society I think we are all to quick to label something as bad when even in its extremity it does have a social function.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Yes I got bullied at school for being a Jdub but not that many at school knew I was one. It was hard enough being accepted by my peers let alone for them to know I was a Jdub. Like so many other dubs my age, I balanced that fine line between not being a "worldly" person and being accepted by others. Although I don't regret it now for it made me a better person in that I don't need others exceptants to make me feel better about myself.

Will

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

The point you make about the "exclusion" is interesting MtBatoon. I turned that aspect around and relished being an outcast - within school, society and the congregation. Someone told me that this is self-preservation - you make a virtue of necessity. However it is a little disturbing - I was definitely one of those sorts of kids who was so repressed and permanently in a state of depression had I been brought up in a gun culture - well who knows where my anger might have taken me.

DB - you were unlucky -

if he misbehaves you put him in detention

my parents had already told me I was never to stay behind with a teacher, so they couldn't backtrack when i obeyed. there's a scripture I had ready if they did something to do with being to harsh with the rod of discipline ...

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Very much so,i was in second grade when president John Kennedy was killed and a wave of nationalistic hysteria swept the classroom.

They hated me,it was open season on me and my siblings in the playground for YEARS.I was a 7 y.o. baby what did i know ??

I am gonna make you Watchtower (living in their ivory tower) annointed baldhead motherf**kers pay for my abuse.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit