Why are beards so bad?

by bother_forever 54 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bother_forever
    bother_forever

Whats with the idelology behind JWs that "Bro's" with beards are undeserving of privledge and advacemet in their F**cked up org? What Jesus never had facial hair? I remember hearing comments like " yes he's a lovely bro, but he'll not be used by the cong because he needs to shave his beard". Or is this just another stupid made up rule of the WT?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

The beard thing is a litmus test the WTS uses to test whether or not men will blindly follow anything they are told.

• damselfly
    damselfly

I'm glad someone else has brought this up. I remember my Dad having a beard when I was younger. I thought at one point it had something to do with men looking unkempt while they were growing it? JW's can rock the 'stach though. ( at least in my old hall they could)

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

The reason given was that JWs were not supposed to look like "those of this world". That was the reasons behind both the ban on facial hair, and the mandatory suit and briefcase - for men, and skirts/dress below the knees - for women. All those bans were stupid, my dad would never be caught in a suit on any day other than Sunday and Tuesday (and out door-to-door), and my mother would sunbathe in the garden in a bikini for all the neighbours to see. And after the ban on smoking, my father smoked secretely for years, he`d go out in the garage to "work on the car", coming back smelling of nicotine. He eventually gave it up, though, guess it became to difficult to hide it as us kids grew older.

• JH
    JH

About 15 years ago, when I joined the org, about 15 brothers had mustaches in my congregation. Today there is only 1.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

The reason I was told they were bad was because they supposedly made you look like a 1970s radical and might antagonize some people at the doors.

But, in my travels here and elsewhere I learned that it had more to do with personal biases of later WT leadership.

• blondie
    blondie

Up until 1968 or 1969 even Jesus was not allowed to have a beard in the WTS publications.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I think this goes back to the days of Rutherford and it's just another silly rule I suppose, though some think it was because he didn't want the dubs to be reminded of Russell who had a long beard. Rutherford took over the WTS in a devious way and many dubs didn't like him and thought he had deviated from the founders objectives.

Absolutely nothing biblical though about beard banning, the jews had beards as do the Orthodox priests and monks today.

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

I think it is because demons get into them and hide....

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

have you ever met any of the GB?

they're a bunch of neo-con christians. it's the same deal with the neck tie. i can't imagine how many more meetings i would have made it to, as i almost always decided i was not going to "make it" to the meeting, as i went to put my neck tie on.

i grew a beard after i left, and i am loving it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit