Gays and the Bible.

by gumby 54 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• gumby
    gumby

Joelbear ol' buddy.....I meant no harm my friend. I don't know all the right lingo. What I meant was men who sleep with each other.....or women who sleep with each other. That's what I meant by lifestyle.

If two men were gay but had no sex....I can't see where any condemnation is presented in the bible...however those who have sex and justify it because they love christ and he loves and forgives all who are "in him" , that contradicts what christs own followers taught.

Because fortunately Christianity is about a personal relationship, rather than a religion or a bunch of rules. If Christ loves gay folks enough to want a relationship with them, who should cast the first stone?

LT......Christianity is found in the bible....not the bible in christianity. Jesus himself used the illustration about a man and a woman when he spoke against adultry. How do you suppose he would have dealt with Peter if he found out Peter and James was pokin each other........ya big knucklehead!

Gumby

• upside/down
    upside/down
    pokin

I thought we couldn't use cuss words here damnit!

I'm STUMBLED....

u/d

• gumby
    gumby

U/D ya silly knucklehead.......my sidekick is named pokey. If he heard you say he was a cuss-word......he'd prolly go sterile and I'd have to have his nutsack removed

Gumby

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Without the Internet and mass media, it is doubtful whether the homosexual movement could ever have advanced as far as it has.

I see it as this.

In 50 years time, married straight people will be the minority.

Teachers classroom:

Teacher: Now children, today we are learning about different types of families. Johnny and Lisa have a mommy and a daddy who are married. We must show tolerance for their family.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

People used to use the bible to demonize black people. As we've become more tolerant society has only gotten to be a better place to live for both whites and blacks. The same will hold true for gays / str8's. Flavor is the spice of life. Who wants to be all alike anyway?

• A Paduan
    A Paduan
    Jesus himself used the illustration about a man and a woman when he spoke against adultry.

Please, tell me more

• VM44
    VM44

I thought this thread said "Grays and the Bible"

alt

• melmoth
    melmoth

On the one hand, I've read arguments that the bible doesn't condemn homosexual acts and they've always seemed a bit of a stretch to me, although I haven't delved into them too meticulously.
    On the other hand, it's true that the bible in one passage or another condemns all kinds of things that Xians who claim to be strict in their adherence just flat-out ignore, and rightly so. The selective reading is just a grasp at permitting themselves a moral or rational homophobia, just as it was in the past to justify racism. If you want to use the bible as a rationale for homophobia, come see me when you endorse and live by all its other harebrained passages. It would demonstrate unusual integrity while establishing your credentials as a complete nutter.
    Regarding the comment that gay marriage proponents are trying to force churches to change their policy via laws, I've never heard of that. It does sound an awful lot like what right-wing moralists would LIKE you to believe is happening, as part of their general sky-is-falling campaign, but I doubt it's actually so. For instance, I would guess that churches (here in the US anyway) remain free not to marry inter-racial couples if they so choose. What's at issue is only what the state would recognize. So don't be conned on that score.
    I'd also be curious to hear what the "social and economic ramifications" of gay marriage, mentioned in passing earlier in the thread, would be.
    Finally, here's a timely quote from the prime minister of Spain, that bastion of Catholicism which just legalized gay marriage:
    "We are enlarging the opportunity for happiness to our neighbors, our co-workers, our friends and, our families: at the same time we are making a more decent society, because a decent society is one that does not humiliate its members.. . .
    "Today, the Spanish society answers to a group of people who during many years have been humiliated, whose rights have been ignored, whose dignity has been offended, their identity denied, and their liberty oppressed. Today the Spanish society grants them the respect they deserve, recognizes their rights, restores their dignity, affirms their identity, and restores their liberty.
    "It is true that they are only a minority, but their triumph is everyone's triumph. It is also the triumph of those who oppose this law, even though they do not know this yet: because it is the triumph of Liberty. Their victory makes all of us (even those who oppose the law) better people, it makes our society better."

• gumby
    gumby

Nice long post.....but it didn't answer the question.....did it?

A Paduan,

Jesus himself used the illustration about a man and a woman when he spoke against adultry.
    Please, tell me more
    What do you want me to tell you......what the scripture says? I thought you mighta knew that one. Jesus said: "That is why a man will leave his parents and stick to his wife, and the two will be one flesh.... therefore what god has yoked together, let no man put apart." Was that what you wanted me to tell you? Gumby
  • oldflame
    oldflame

My personal out take on this issue is this.

Yes it is a fact that the bible does indeed condone homosexual activity both with women and men. The bible also condones having sex between the man and the woman without marriage. It also condones adultry. The bible also says that all sin is forgiven if asked for except Blasphemy. Infact all sin is to be forgiven as many times as it is asked for. Churches that I know of do not turn away those who are gay or they are not supposed to because we are to forgive the same as God forgives. We are to teach those about the truth in scriptures, about the Christ and then upon their own exceptance are to make the changes in their lives that fit more to a christian life. This is what the book of Ephesians teaches us. We are instructed in the scriptures to also not judge others as we also will be judged so it is not proper for a christian to judge others for their choices.

I used to be homo phobic before I excepted Jesus as my personal savior,but today I amthe same as anyone else on this earth and do not pass a judgement on others. The scriptures clearly teaches us to love one another the same as God loves each and every one of us.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit