Gays and the Bible.

by gumby 54 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Well, people could be thinking;

"The Bible is obviously not writen by god and accurate, it's people with faith in god telling us of what god was to them. And that ('what god was to them') changed in the past and is changing now. We now know that homosexuals are not abberent or dangerous. If they are in love, their love should be recognised and respected as much as that between a man and a woman. If the message in the Bible is to love each other, why would God want to exclude non-harmful loving homosexual people from fellowship with those of like-mind.

Just as we can see the influence of culture on the Mosaic Laws, so to we can discern sometimes the fundamental messages in the Bible - at least as many now see it - was obscured by a culture's bigotry. Biblical prohibitions of homosexuality, if indeed they are as explict as some believe, are a good example of this.

Now we can welcome people regardless of their sexuality, united in love and worship of god."

I had a problem with literalism in the past - it was like "do it 'properly', or don't bother".

I now understand that to define 'properly' is an impossibility, and that basically people have an absolute right to believe whatever they want for whatever reasons they want to, as long as they are excellent unto one another.

• Preston
    Preston

I think the Bible does clearly state that Homosexuality is wrong so I am a little surprised that religions that have a 100% literal interpretation of the Bible do go the route that it isnt wrong. I think the reasoning behind the way that churches have interpreted the NT scriptures condoning homosexuality is that this was a product of the culture of that era rather than a testament from God himself. In any event I did read the New York TImes excellent article on grass roots organizations that have effectively help enforce laws in several states banning gay marriage and civil unions. All of them state that their main reasoning behind their stance is that the Bible condones homosexuality which I understand, but what I do not get is why they don't put their eggs in one basket and state that all sexual relationships outside a marriage between a man and a woman are wrong (is cohabitation with straights any less sinful than with gays). By only focusing on gay marriage rather than oh, let's say, men and woman living together, they've made this appear more of a wedge issue than anything else. I have yet to see the churches put as much effort into fighting poverty, pollution, or for good health than their fight against states legalizing gay marriage because the Bible says so.

- Preston

• gumby
    gumby

Thanks Preston for an honest reply. I'm hoping a full blooded born again christian will come forth with some scriptures though to justify their claims that god will forgive a person living the lifestyle of being gay.

Gumby

• Spook
    Spook

Nobody actually takes the bible as literal. It contains logically impossible contradictions. Every christian practices buffet christianity. Throw out a lot more, while you're at it.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I don't wish to sound homophobic but there isn't one bit of support for homosexuality in the bible. How this church found biblical validity in gay marriages i'll never know.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I love you Gumby

It's ok, we understand what all these months of nutsack talk have been about. Own your sexuallity, man. It's ok for you to "come out" now. We'll support you in your decision

It's like seeing a little one leave the nest, innit

• andy2tanx
    andy2tanx

i think most people here are missing the point. Here is the news. THE BIBLE IS TOTAL BOLLOCKS!!! don't take any notice of what it says. It's all lies and some goat herders take on life. Get out in the real world. Meet people. Climb mountains. Do anything but read that crock of shit....

• jula71
    jula71

It's all in the interpretation. For example, it says, "men who lie with men"

lie = untruth

So it looks like it's condemning the GB, IMO.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Andy:
    You're entitled to your opinion, but kindly remember that a good number of people hold various types of literature in high regard. A little respect never hurt anyone, ya know?

Btw, did ya know Robert Conkey (or maybe his sister Sara was nearer your age), from Kirkby in Ashfield. I'm trying to find out what happened to that gang. I lost contact when I moved back home to Scotland in '91.

• gumby
    gumby
    Nobody actually takes the bible as literal.

Oh really? Lets see you walk into just about any western church and tell the congregations what you just said. The Baptists would hang you by your nutsack if you expressed that in their church!

Gumsack

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit