No Clapping at Wild Statements at DC????!!!!

by hamsterbait 49 Replies latest jw friends

• mrs rocky2
    mrs rocky2

Blondie, I believe that JWs don't clap after a speaker is announced because of the idea being promoted that the speaker is only a vessel of instruction and no special attention should be given to him. Once upon a time, way back when, the assembly and convention programs listed the names of the speakers and their home congregation. There were two reasons given to me why this was done: 1) naming the speakers was giving too much attention to the individual brothers (might go to their heads and swell their egos) 2) cost savings - the WTS could print a generic program with titles/time of the talk and use the same program for many convention sites. This switch was around the same time that united pure worship was being emphasized - wherever you go around the world, all the JWs were being taught the same thing, singing the same songs for the same WT studies, same talks given at all the conventions, no room for personalization or creativity. All of this information is not from official sources, just the song and dance given to me by brothers I knew working at the elite circuit/district level. Their mouths preached anti-self importance, but their behaviour reeked self-absorbed egotistically piety.

• upside/down
    upside/down
    Did anyone ever have the guts to go WOOOOHOOO! or Preach it Brother! ?

After one LOOOOONG closing prayer at the Devaney Sports Center in Lincoln Nebraska...I was soooo pisssed that when the old fart finally ended his talk prayer I shouted in a very operatic voice.....Haaaallleeeeyyloooooyyaaaahh!

My wife hit me, she was so embarrassed. My kids were laughing and EVEYRONE around was doing the same....wife's hitting their hubby's for laughing at me...it was awesome. We'll NEVER forget that.

u/d (of the there's one in every crowd class)

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

I hated the clapping. Hard to get a good nap in, when there's applause every 10 - 15 minutes.

• in a new york bethel minute
    in a new york bethel minute

can you imagine that they actually have watchtower articles on whether or not to clap at which occassion? doesn't that just blow your mind? it does mine, because my mind is dirty from all the unwashing that my brain has been going through since the great brainwashing of 1979-2003

bethel minute

• Jourles
    Jourles
    I shouted in a very operatic voice.....Haaaallleeeeyyloooooyyaaaahh!

I wonder why this is so frowned upon? Afterall, you are saying, "Praise Jah!"

Nevermind, I think I already know the answer. There is no Hebrew word meaning, "Praise the Watchtower!"

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

At conventions, just like at the Public Talk meeting on Sundays, I only clap (out of courtesy and good manners) when the speaker is done and leaving.

There are many compulsive clappers at the DC and other smaller conventions. It's just soooo silly.

DY

• undercover
    undercover
    BTW, do you know why JWs don't clap when the speaker is announced but wait until the end of their presentation? Have you noticed that speakers in non-JW events are applauded after they are introduced?

Oh, we can't have that. That's hero-worship. That would be putting the speaker above the message. In the JWs, its all about the message. Who and how its delivered is of little importance. Applause shows agreement with the message from the GB/FDS, not gratitude toward the speaker for delivering it.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

LMAO @ Funky

My sister and I used to play a game where we'd try to get a round of applause started. It's very funny to make 2,000 people clap over something mundane. My mother soon put a stop to it though

My son used to see if he could be the last one still clapping and count how many claps he could get away with before I elbowed him a good one!!

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

The first time I noticed the compulsory clapping was at a DC right after all the "jws are childmolester" stories came out.

The speaker said something to the effect of, "And unlike the Catholic Church we came out immediately and condemned this sort of behaviour!!!"

The applause was deafening for several minutes.

I just sat there thinking, "So let me get this right, you guys are bragging about stating publicly that child molestation is wrong?"

With the display of this kind of moral clarity and courage, they clearly must be God's Organization!!!

• battman
    battman

OMG you guys are just too funny.

BTW I think the borg is just a bunch of "clap".

battman

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit