No Clapping at Wild Statements at DC????!!!!

by hamsterbait 49 Replies latest jw friends

• Ticker
    Ticker

Vivacious. LOL

Funny how sometimes thoese annoying JW terms we use to use come out in our posts once in awhile. Oh well part of our past I guess.

I think people are getting hesitant to share in the oohs and ahhhs that the society tries to sling their way. People are more informed now adays and more critical in their analysis, I don't think it's as easy as it used to be to keep prolonging armageddon while yet trying to keep the alarms ringing that its merely around the corner.

Only thing they can do is institute into public policy that every witness must clap at assemblies or else face a judicial hearing, but dont think that would go over too well. Lets face it the glory years of the society are over and we will never see them experience the levels of growth or enthusiasm that they once generated in people. You cant keep promising to reward the workers with speculations and false dates while yet browbeating them into spiritual submission and robbing their very unique being as they fall into a melting pot of JW'ism.

Ticker

• Faith
    Faith

It has been quite a few years Since my last one. I do remember with great relief and apreciation being selected to WORK selling pie!! WOOOOHOOOOOOO I was so happy to escape the throngs eagerly awaiting every word spoken in the packed theatre. That was pre 1975. I remember pushing that broom ever so sloooooooooowly to prolong the bliss.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

ROFL! This is such a great thread. I used to love it when the speaker had done his voice intonnation and paused for a clap, and people didnt find what he had said exciting enough to clap for, then a few loyal ones would catch on and start a half hearted clap, but by this time the speaker had got a bit embarrased, and not wanting to look like he was REALLY waiting for a clap would have started speaking again.

But this would piss the loyal ones off who would be thinking 'hey buddy we were the few loyal ones clapping you, now youre ignoring the clap and speaking over us!'

Then the speaker would have to stop again, because he KNEW hed pissed the loyal ones off, and he figured If I piss of the loyal clappers now then I aint gonna get no more claps for all the other half ass things I need a clap for.

Theres a lot of psychology to this you know. Its not JUST clapping.

• Ticker
    Ticker

Yes it is psychologically motivated. Its called loaded questions and re-affirming agreement through the use of numbers. Example (if everyone is clapping then it must be true, how can several thousand people be wrong.) As for loaded questions they serve a purpose, I just think its a treadmill effect, why ask questions that have no intent to be answered by any other answer then what the speaker supplies. But alas the psychology of high pressure groups is a well though out and effective instrument they use with great success.

Ticker

• Samuel Thorsen
    Samuel Thorsen

Still old fashoned clapping up here.

Even clapping after the closing prayer Sunday. How common is that?

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

haha this is so funny....the last talk on sunday was the best when we clapped everyone from the gb to the ' worldly' stadium manager..inevitably though someone ended up being hurt cos they hadnt got a personal mention

of course in scotland we clapped whenever we got the oppurtunity because it was the only way to keep warm..(it was either that or applying the scripture about 3 people lying down together to keep warm but they kinda frowned on that at district conventions)..one time a couple of cleaners at the top of a stand clapped the dust off their hands and everyone joined in thinking they had just witnessed the announcing of a new thought..(ok i made that up but you get the point)

of course there was a huge difference in getting a spontaneous round of applause and doing the obvious build up to applause that usually ended in the comment...dont you agree brothers or isnt thats so or the like..at scottish conventions the convention chairman used to do this so often that the whole technique came to be known as sid-owlering...but genuine spontaneous applause was so infrequent that i can remember when it last happened...david bingham talking about sheperds knowing their flock..said elders should know personally who they are caring for...he shouted KNOW THEM BY NAME ITS PART OF YOUR JOB...cue much clapping head-nodding and general agreement(if we had been wearing hats we'd have thrown them in the air)..though to be fair not many elders joined in

good times

• greendawn
    greendawn

I also remember the clapping but I always sensed that it was pretended and not heartfelt in an environment where everything works on the basis of fear everything has to be artificial and shallow.

• Samuel Thorsen
    Samuel Thorsen

-- CLAPP CLAPP CLAPP CLAPP CLAPP CLAPP CLAPP CLAPP CLAPP CLAPP CLAPP CLAPP........

A priceless moment during the final Sunday talk at DC in Oslo 10-15 years ago.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

My sister and I used to play a game where we'd try to get a round of applause started. It's very funny to make 2,000 people clap over something mundane. My mother soon put a stop to it though

• blondie
    blondie
    Even clapping after the closing prayer Sunday. How common is that?

Actually, when I was growing up in the 50's and the 60's it was not the norm to clap at the end of the DC. It wasn't until many US JWs started visiting foreign DCs and saw them clap that the brought the custom back. I clapped because I was glad it was over.

In some congregations they clap after every student talk every meeting. Even after this "suggestion."

km 4/72 p. 4 Question Box ***

Is it appropriate for the audience to applaud each part of the ministry school or service meeting?
    Audiences composed of Jehovah’s Witnesses are truly appreciative. It is a fine thing that they want to show that appreciation for the efforts of their brothers and the material they present from the platform. In some parts of the world in our day such appreciation may be indicated by applause. But applause should be spontaneous, from the heart. Also, it is usually an expression of appreciation for something out of the ordinary. And so, at large assemblies, including circuit assemblies, when special programs are arranged for and our brothers devote additional time and effort to their assignments, we find the audience applauding not only at the end of the talk but sometimes during it.
    But should this be true in our Kingdom Halls? Surely there can be no rule against it if it is done spontaneously and out of heartfelt appreciation. But normally we do not applaud these assignments because, for one thing, it can readily become perfunctory and so lose real meaning.
    There is something all of us in our Kingdom Halls can do, however, to show genuine appreciation for the efforts of the one speaking and that is to stay alert during the talk, keeping our eyes on him and showing by the receptive expression on our faces that we are following his thoughts and are benefiting. Also, we often find it possible to talk to the speaker personally after the meeting, letting him know that we enjoyed his presentation.

So now many congregations have the rule that you can clap for a person's first talk in the second school and their first talk in the main school.

BTW, do you know why JWs don't clap when the speaker is announced but wait until the end of their presentation? Have you noticed that speakers in non-JW events are applauded after they are introduced?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit