Can JW's take vacations.....from the truth?

by JH 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Netty
    Netty
    Rat just can't sleep tonight.

Me neither. Here, have one of these, see if this helps.

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

No. You are still encouraged to go to the meetings while on vacation but who would know? I never did/do while I am away.

• jgnat
    jgnat

My JW hubby and I have attended other congregations while on vacation. I find it an interesting study on the various ways that the "happiest people on earth" can ignore you.

Enough questions are asked to establish your "spiritual status" and you are left alone.

• trevor
    trevor

In my own experience some members have a tendency to develop illness, as this is the only acceptable reason for missing meetings or door-to-door activity. After many years of offering illness as an excuse, some come to believe they really are unwell.

• Mary
    Mary

I know of one self-righteous, pompous moron who snottily declares to everyone that he and his wife "never miss a meeting while [they're] on vacation." They look up the where the local Hall is beforehand and make arrrangments to be there . I think the stupid troll also goes out in Service while on vacation too...........he just doesn't understand how anyone can show such a "lack of appreciation for God's visible Organization" by missing meetings while on vacation. I find his statement particularly nauseating seeing as he was involved in a car theft ring several years ago...........dumb jerk.

• greendawn
    greendawn

You just say I want to get a rest from all routine for three weeks so I will be staying at home and relaxing.

So what can they say to that? Are you bound by any obligation to be at the hall for all meetings unless ill? That's a really man made rule.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I know several who have 2nd homes out of town. They stay there for several months a year and tell the cong back home they're attending meetings near their 2nd home, but they rarely do. No one really checks up on it. They've been to the new kh several times and know people, so that's all they need to make it look like they're really going. These particular ones, I suspect, use their 2nd homes as an escape from the jws.

• TheListener
    TheListener

I was a super dub elder who married a super dub elderette pioneer. We went to meetings on vacation for the first year of marriage. After that it was like "screw it" I'm relaxing.

Why is it that most dubs are exicited when there is a power outage or snow storm or some other reason to cancel the meetings? hehehehehe. They want time off at someone else's decision.

• undercover
    undercover

I remember telling an elder one time that I was going on vacation. The elder said, and I paraphrase, "why are you wasting your time off on vacation? You should use that time off to pioneer." then he went off on a tirade, "I don't understand why people waste money and time on vacation when they can stay home, save money and help in the ministry. That's more important than traveling." During the same conversation he tried to get me to quit my job and pioneer.

I never forgot that conversation. I heard last year that this same elder and his wife took an extended vacation and visited several places outside of the US. Hypocritical bastard.

• Satanus
    Satanus
    Why is it that most dubs are exicited when there is a power outage or snow storm or some other reason to cancel the meetings? hehehehehe. They want time off at someone else's decision.

Right. They sometimes call those acts of god. God wants them to take a rest from a meeting.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit