Can JW's take vacations.....from the truth?

by JH 34 Replies latest jw friends

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Whilst I was still an elder, I took a 5 week vacation and never went to the meetings once. Mind, I was travelling in a non-Christian country at the time.

The problem with JW theology is that they equate a relationship with God and Christ as being the same as being at the 5 meetings plus field service every week.

When I was away, I took the change of scenary as an opportunity to treat people in a Christian way - to treat rich and poor with the human dignity that Christ afforded everyone he came across (including Judas). This is far more than the average dub does when at home in the congregation.

Eyeslice

• Berean
    Berean

There were numerous talks\meeting parts on “worldly vacations do not equal vacation from organizational (Christian) duties.”

Taking vacation from organization (Christian) equals weak\demonized\worldly\apostate tendencies. Just insert your own favorite cult phrase word – any will work just as well.

Berean

• JH
    JH
    There were numerous talks\meeting parts on “worldly vacations do not equal vacation from organizational (Christian) duties.”

So, Christians can't take a physical pause once in a while....

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

ever go on a vacation and enjoyed it so much you never wanted it to end?

well, i took a little vacation from the truth, and 6 months later i am still on it. it's like the endless summer. the salad days of my life. i'm gonna spend the rest of my life by this intellectual lake, waterskiing every day.

cheerio!

• Soledad
    Soledad

my experience with this issue is that it depends on what type of JW you are. For those who have unbelieving spouses or are single parents it's pretty easy to take time off because those folks are pretty much off the radar screen anyway. If you have non-JW family you can go stay with them for a while and no one knows where you are. However, if you belong to one of those "exemplary" families it is much harder to just take a break or disappear for a while without anyone ever noticing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit