light skin: so much for intelligent design...

by googlemagoogle 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• what_Truth?
    what_Truth?

mrsjones5, you know damn well that I didn't mention my background to show how "black" I was. I did it, as I quite clearly stated before, to show that I know what i'm talking about from personal experience. I know all about the troubles my dad and brothers went through on account of their racial background and I can see similar things brewing with the way my daughters get treated. This isn't just something I read about in a book somewhere. The only way I could be closer to the subject is to be mixed myself and yes, I'm well aware that I'm not.

I find it ironic and contradictory that on one hand you talk about how bi-racial people of some African decent are so well admired in America, yet two of the examples you mentioned (Sade and Naomi Campbell) aren't American. Their success in the USA has a lot to do with the reputation they built for themselves in Europe. Hallie Berry was publicaly blasted by pretty much every black magazine and black person I know for having an on-screen sex scene with someone that was half her background. When she won the Oscar for her role every white magazine and many white people I know were trying to point out how white she was. She may have money, fans, and scores of admirers, but that whole Monster's Ball incident proved to me without a shadow of a doubt that she will never truly be treated the way a "pure" black or white woman would.

While we're on the subject, if all is fair and equil how come Mariah Carey's marriage to Tommy Matola was considered "interracial"? XXL magazine even went so far as to call her a sellout.

While I realise that you have access to the same articles and ignorant people that I do i find it very strange that you could just dismiss them as a few harmless idiots with a fringe viewpoint. These writers are getting paid good money to print their idiotic views and that money comes from an agreeable public.

You even admitted that there are black people who are trying to expound the "mixed-race" subgroup (the fact that many white people do is obvious). Are they right to do it? No. Will they do it anyway? Yes. Do they have the power to manifest their opinions in very harmful ways? YES. Will this eventually cause a good number of the people they mistreat to seperate themselves? How could it not?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    mrsjones5, you know damn well that I didn't mention my background to show how "black" I was. I did it, as I quite clearly stated before, to show that I know what i'm talking about from personal experience. I know all about the troubles my dad and brothers went through on account of their racial background and I can see similar things brewing with the way my daughters get treated. This isn't just something I read about in a book somewhere. The only way I could be closer to the subject is to be mixed myself and yes, I'm well aware that I'm not.

I read your post and ask myself if i should respond? Would it make a difference in your opinion or mine? No I think not. I don't agree with your opinion for the reasons I have stated. In my opinion formalizing mixed race groups is redundant since most Blacks in the Americas are already mixed. I see no reason for such groups. I put Sade and Naomi up at examples because they are or were very popular in the States which is where I am from. Halley Berry being popular in Europe means nothing to me, since I live in the States and know of her career here.

As I read further into your post it seems your just want to make a point and backhand slap me in the process to make yourself feel better about whatever misguided opinion you have. Do you think it makes you look any better to assume what you think you know about me? I dont think so. In my eyes it just makes you look stupid. Wouldn't it be better to ask me what my experiences are before assuming that all I know is from some internet page. Might make you look a bit more intelligent, at least in my eyes. But then you dont really care what I think do you?

Josie

• what_Truth?
    what_Truth?

I don't have a problem with you having a different opinion. What upsets me is are the ways you have tried to discredit not only my opinion, but me as a person. You assumed that the only reason i mentioned my background was to show how "black" I was. Furthermore, your lastest post goes on to insinuate that as a Canadian I could not posibly understand the way things are in the USA. you never considered that, like most Canadians, I live less than an hour away from the border, spend quite a lot of time there, and have quite a few American friends. It's not like I just sit in an igloo and watch hockey all day.

You ask me "Wouldn't it be better to ask me what my experiences are before assuming that all I know is from some internet page"? All I can assume about you is what you have indicated in your posts. To paraphrase, it sounds like you're saying to me that "mixed people are just as well liked across the board as black and white people are so there's no way that they will ever form an independant group out of perceived necessity. I base this opinion on the fact that my mixed family and I are well accepted by my inlaws and friends despite my ties to the deep south. I also base it on the prominence that Mariah Carey, Hallie Berry, Sade and Naomi Campbell recieve in the USA. The fact that the latter two received much of their prominence from the buzz they received in Europe is of no consequence in the matter."

Though I see this view as horribly narrow I accept the fact that as a bi-racial person of African ancestory you have the apropriate background to know what you're talking about. Please give me the same courtosy in respects to my background and experiences.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

There is no such thing as "reverse discrimination"....there is only discrimination. And yes bigots come in all sizes, shapes AND colors. Regardless if the bigot is black, white, brown or otherwise....until we all see each other as unique and not simply by the color of our skin discrimination is not dead. Nuff said !

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    I don't have a problem with you having a different opinion. What upsets me is are the ways you have tried to discredit not only my opinion, but me as a person. You assumed that the only reason i mentioned my background was to show how "black" I was. Furthermore, your lastest post goes on to insinuate that as a Canadian I could not posibly understand the way things are in the USA. you never considered that, like most Canadians, I live less than an hour away from the border, spend quite a lot of time there, and have quite a few American friends. It's not like I just sit in an igloo and watch hockey all day.

You ask me "Wouldn't it be better to ask me what my experiences are before assuming that all I know is from some internet page"? All I can assume about you is what you have indicated in your posts. To paraphrase, it sounds like you're saying to me that "mixed people are just as well liked across the board as black and white people are so there's no way that they will ever form an independant group out of perceived necessity. I base this opinion on the fact that my mixed family and I are well accepted by my inlaws and friends despite my ties to the deep south. I also base it on the prominence that Mariah Carey, Hallie Berry, Sade and Naomi Campbell recieve in the USA. The fact that the latter two received much of their prominence from the buzz they received in Europe is of no consequence in the matter."

Though I see this view as horribly narrow I accept the fact that as a bi-racial person of African ancestory you have the apropriate background to know what you're talking about. Please give me the same courtosy in respects to my background and experiences.

Do you sit in an igloo? lol I never thought out that. No sorry I didnt even assume that about you. That's your problem, you think I assume just like you. I dont. Everything that I have stated is my opinion about the issue you brought up. Anything to the side of that in no way slammed where you lived or your stated heritage. But I do see that youre upset...I'm sorry if you are but deary not everyone black or otherwise is going to agree with you.

Now just keep on slamming me...my opinion of you only goes lower

Josie

• M.J.
    M.J.

Being of mixed race is as much of an issue as you allow it to be.

M.J. of the half-breed class.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit