light skin: so much for intelligent design...

by googlemagoogle 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

... and evolution, by the way.

if we were designed by an intelligent creator, why the heck do we light-skinned people get burnt to death when the sun is shining? not very intelligent design...

and if evolution is always trying to improve a species' ability to survive, why the heck are there still light-skinned people like me around and get toasted like in hell?

yes, right now i look like a lobster.

• shera
    shera

LOL...I know what it is like...I have an idiot tan right now from digging out in the yard for the pool we set up!

*from your fellow lobster*

~Heather

• doogie
    doogie
    yes, right now i look like a lobster.

(in the voice of nelson from the simpsons): ha ha.

and if evolution is always trying to improve a species' ability to survive

evolution promotes qualities that allow a creature to survive to reproductive maturity, not necessarily to survive for the longest time. if a lifeform reproduces at 15 and dies of skin cancer at 16, their genes have still been passed on and they have been successful from an evolutionary standpoint (their genes have survived another generation).

evolution doesn't "improve" traits, it only gets rid of negative traits (traits that make it difficult for a lifeform to reach reproductive maturity). as of now, the lobster look does not generally kill you before puberty. maybe someday it will and only the people that are more capable of fending off the UV rays will survive long enough to reproduce...

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I thought about this too. But, if there was once a canopy around the earth, and if the ozone layer was intact, then we would not have to worry about getting burned, with skin cancer, premature aging, etc.

This is not how it was supposed to be.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

As your severly white brother, I wish you well.

We're just "critically caucasian"...

• Netty
    Netty

I know, I feel your pain! I am very fair skinned.

When people see my legs sometimes they will say "why dont you get a tan". Well GEE, I never thought of that, all these years I coulda just gone out and got a tan. I dont tan, and I do burn. Done the lobster thing a time or two, ouch. You poor thing.

I have tried the tanning cremes, (wont do tanning salons, because of skin cancer) but they are just such a hassle. So I'll just leave myself be, Light is beautiful!

• willy_think
    willy_think
    ... And evolution, by the way.
    if we were designed by an intelligent creator, why the heck do we light-skinned people get burnt to death when the sun is shining? Not very intelligent design...

light skinned people evolved the light skin to get more vitamins from the sun. the light people lived in an area of the world that made it necessary to cover there skin most of the year. With dark skin they would suffer a vitamin deficiency but with light skin they remain healthy

and if evolution is always trying to improve a species' ability to survive, why the heck are there still light-skinned people like me around and get toasted like in hell?

Same answer

yes, right now I look like a lobster.

the rain is not the only thing you need to come in out of.

• mtbatoon
    mtbatoon
    evolution promotes qualities that allow a creature to survive to reproductive maturity, not necessarily to survive for the longest time. if a lifeform reproduces at 15 and dies of skin cancer at 16, their genes have still been passed on and they have been successful from an evolutionary standpoint (their genes have survived another generation).

Yes but if they survive till they are 50 and don't have tumours growing out of there face they will have the chance to make a greater genetic contribution.

Living in a multi ethnic community I see a lot of children of mixed race and wouldn't be surprised if in a few hundred years (peanuts to evolution) this will be the norm.

• willy_think
    willy_think
    Living in a multi ethnic community I see a lot of children of mixed race and wouldn't be surprised if in a few hundred years (peanuts to evolution) this will be the norm.

That is evolution in action.

• doogie
    doogie
    That is evolution in action.

yup. in part, that's exactly what evolution is. reproductive selection. plus, the amount of UV rays that currently make it through the ozone is a relatively new thing. time will tell how (or if) humans will evolve. chances are, we'll just have to stay indoors more. i guess that could be considered a form of behavioral evolution as well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit