Tonight, I talk to the elders about becoming an unbaptised publisher.

by Buck 69 Replies latest jw friends

• Buck
    Buck

I just want to thank everyone for their heartfelt advice and sharing their knowledge.

I went to the meeting last night. I talked to the 2 men and the people Iam studying with. And I became an unbaptized publisher. They did talk about going door to door....and I said I was unsure about that. They said it would come in time. There is no minimum hours, feel free to go anytime. Just set a small goal and work toward it. Maybe join the school later.

After this, I went and ate with my girlfriend and her family at OCharleys. I havent seen her this happy in a long time.

I dont know where this will lead. Ive read COC by Franz. There are parts of this organization that I do not care for. There are rules that I do not wholeheartedly agree with. But Iam hoping the good out weighs the bad. This may be naive on my part. But I will see what happens.

I will never stop learning or reading this board. Everyone should hear the good and bad of whatever they are going into. You must listen and answer your critics if you are to improve. Thanks again for all the support and info.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    I will never stop learning or reading this board. Everyone should hear the good and bad of whatever they are going into. You must listen and answer your critics if you are to improve. Thanks again for all the support and info.

Buck,

Are you sure about that? Maybe your intent is a tad naive. Let me put it straight. The people you are committing yourself to in the WTS require you to renounce all those who've freely given their advice here on JWD. You do realise that don't you?

JWs are not supposed to be here - in fear of having disciplinary action against them from the elders in the congregation. Ask your beloved about that.

If, as I suspect, you can't speak with her about this, then, my friend, this is not love you feel for her at all. True, you might think it is, but perhaps you're in love with love??

Time for serious and honest thinking.

Ozzie

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

Hi Buck,

You made a tough decision, I hope she is worth it. I am a JW for many years now, but there some things what you can do if you really think she is worth it.

But think also about her. Would it be fair to here to pretend, only to make here love you? What if she ever find out,how long do you want to keep it up. I know about this because I am pretending for a long time now.

Anyway she will probably not marry you until you are baptised, this is more or less the unwritten rule in th WTS.

But you do not have to become a fery frequent fieldservice goer. There is no minimal hour requirement if some said. You can even fake the report nobody does check it. (just say 'informal whitnessing')

Personally I would try to get her out first. That would be better. But do it very subtle.

Take care

Danny

• mad max
    mad max

My feelings is also take care, my heart is crying out, i just cannot tell you, even from this side of the world I have feelings of great love and concern for you. My spirit in me is sad and I hope that you one day, just ask one question about the SPIRIT IN a person (jw do no know) as they do not have the spirit in them. NB I feel because you are new to these thoughts and ideas of the JW (or not) the spirit can talk to you, deep down. The deep will call to the deep.

Lv madmax

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Buck

I can just about understand why you have made the decision you have, but I cannot understand how you can have on your conscience the possibility of leading another human being, through 'publishing', into the organisation. I could not have that on my conscience, knowing what I know. Do you believe in God, are you a christian? It is impossible to serve God and Christ as a JW.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Buck,

Of course she was happy! She thinks that everything is going the way she wants it to. I don't mean this unfairly, because she DOES think that the WTS is the be all and end all.

*I* went into the WTS thinking the same thing. I didn't have ANY doubts whatsoever about what I was doing. But then............we didn't have the internet in the early 70's. It took me 30 very long years to wake up and realize "I'd been had", and it hurt more than I can say.

You, OTOH, are walking straight into this with valid doubts and misgivings, so how long do you think that will last? This is a very shakey foundation---at best. That phrase about "that will all come later" (or whatever was said) is just a ploy to get you to stick around and get yourself in even deeper. I heard it too, when I didn't understand something that I was being taught.

I'm sorry, but you are well on your way to wrecking your life. I hurt for you.

Annie

"I dont know where this will lead. Ive read COC by Franz. There are parts of this organization that I do not care for. There are rules that I do not wholeheartedly agree with. But Iam hoping the good out weighs the bad. This may be naive on my part. But I will see what happens."

If you think the good outweighs the bad, you're deluding yourself.

Buck, try thinking of this situation this way. You're in love with this cult member at the present, and you're willing to live a miserable life to be with her, at least for right now. But eventually, your love for her will not be as strong as it presently is, and you'll be forced to deal with all the misery associated with being invovled in the JW cult. Is she really worth throwing away all your future happiness over? Think hard, buddy, because you're about to make the stupidest mistake of your life.

If you were in front of me, I'd slap you one to try to knock some clarity into your head. Since you're not, maybe you can slap yourself to see if it does the trick.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    "I dont know where this will lead. Ive read COC by Franz. There are parts of this organization that I do not care for. There are rules that I do not wholeheartedly agree with. But Iam hoping the good out weighs the bad. This may be naive on my part. But I will see what happens."

Thanks 144, I meant to address this in my post. WE know the inevitable outcome----but this is like reasoning with a lovesick teenager (no offense to teenagers meant) and all you can do is advise them and hope for the best, huh?

We tried.

Annie

• zagor
    zagor

are you nuts?

• steve2
    steve2

Buck, I think you will go door-knocking because your woman means so much to you and I sense that it is she - and not just the elders - who is also putting considerable pressure on you. Ah, the ways of love!

So, welcome to a unique club: It has a very very long history and you are simply the latest in a long, long line of men and women who consciously choose to ignore their doubts and "sign up" to a religion out of love for the other person.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit