607 date

by Cordelia 126 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    So why don't you just say 99.5% of everyone agrees that IT ISN'T 607 !!!!

I think this is far too generous. It is more like 0% of commentators outside of the Society believes that it was 607 BC.

Can pseudo-scholar name a single non-JW scholar or commentator who argues that Jerusalem was destroyed in 607 BC? Anyone at all?

(And please don't quote anyone from a hundred years ago or more)

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Ok, how about a couple of religious references too...

Catholic Encyclopedia

A few Jerusalem facts:

Jerusalem is located on a high ridge, consisting of 3 hills. Along the east of the city is the Kidron Valley (in which runs the Brook Kidron, including the Pool of Gihon), to the south is the Valley of Hinnom, to the west is the Valley of Gehenna. The Mount of Olives, where Jesus was arrested, is just to the east, across the Kidron Valley. Archaeological studies indicate that the city is very ancient, having been established perhaps more than 2,000 years before it was captured from the Jebusites by King David of Israel, about 1,000 B.C. Jerusalem had earlier been named Salem (Genesis 14:18) and Jebus (1 Chronicles 11:4). Salem meant peace. The city is mentioned throughout the Bible, over 600 times in the Old Testament, less in the New Testament. The first mention of the name Jerusalem is found in Joshua chapter 10. The first Temple was constructed by Solomon over a period of about 12 years, with completion being around 950 B.C. The original Temple was destroyed by the Babylonians under Nebuchadnezzar about 587 B.C. The first Temple lasted only about 360 years. The Herodian Temple, as constructed later by Herod the Great, existed at the time of Jesus Christ. It was a continuation of the earlier reconstruction work done by Jews who had been allowed to return by the Persians after the Babylonian Captivity. The second Temple was destroyed by the Roman Army under Titus in 70 A.D. at the conclusion of the Jewish War.

Fall of Jerusalem 33:21 December/January
    586/85

So please, please show us the overwhelming support for 607 shall you????!!!!???

I've just posted 5 well respected sources. 586/587 from all of them. When I did research about this before I consulted no fewer than 12 different sources. ALL 586/587...go figure.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Narkissos,

The same worn-out fundamentalistic/sectarian excuse:

If different sources don't exactly agree about the measurement of the earth globe I'm entitled to believe the earth is flat.

Yes, and you will also note Scholar's singular inability to deal with any ethical issue raised by his position.

A few posts above you postulated the theory that 'poztates' are not to be trusted because they once believed that Jerusalem's first fall occured in 607BCE and now do not. Link : http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/11/91281/1535773/post.ashx#1535773 I have yet to read such logical chaos as is suggested by Scholar in this post. By the illogic of his argument any members of the Jehovah's Witnesses who held to an alternative religious view before becoming Jehovah's Witnesses are actually wrong in now adhering to WTS doctrine. I hope that Elder Shearing spanks his chubby little bottom! HS

• toreador
    toreador

Yes Evil Force but all those sources you quoted are under the control of the big bad wolf who has deceived everyone of them.

Tor

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Oh Scholar....where are you?????

Please do tell how all the secular sources are wrong.....puleeeze......

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

There is plenty wrong with 607 from oh so many angles. However, the short short version: Jeremiah 25:12 says the king will be called to account once the 70 years are fulfilled. Daniel 5:25-30 is clearly the calling the king to account. All good witnesses know this was in 539BCE. Therefore the 70 years can't end 2 years later. Therefore they can't start in 607. Any questions?

• M.J.
    M.J.

the 587/6 question is a non-issue and a red herring. From what I can see it is due to the uncertainty of the Biblical account as to the actual year of Jerusalem's conquest--The bible says it happened in Neb's 19th...yet it also says that it occurred in Zedekiah's 11th year. Yet by 2 Kings 24:12; 2 Chronicles 36:10; Jeremiah 52:28, 31, it shows that Zedekiah started his reign at the end of Neb's 7th year. Do the math. So depending on how you resolve this thing you'll end up with either 586 or 587. It's not due to bumbling uncertainty whatsoever in the timelines, but due to uncertainty as to which king-year system the Bible is following in recording this specific event.

• heathen
    heathen

I don't see anyway the WTBTS can denounce the year 1914 . There is just way too much dogma attached to the date . They even include the scriptures in revelation of satan being cast from heaven and the 2 prophets being killed but not buried then the 3 and a half years of imprisonment till the end of WW1 when the earth swallowed the oppression of the chosen ones , I mean the list could go on . It would be easier for them to just close their doors and open back up as unitarians than to change all that stuff . I don't think it impossible that the date 1914 could be the gentile times end . Many religionists have dates and another one is 1948 when the nation of Israel appeared on the world scene . Invisibility is a very tricky thing to work with .

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Alan F - thanks for that - I may have to PM you, is that ok?

Evilforce - appreciate the quoted sources

Heathen (and ALAN F) - the visitor I've had (twice) explains 1914 as the prediction of WWI.....basically, something ''BIG'' was going to happen in 1914, and WWI was IT, the prophesy!!

• fairchild
    fairchild

A friend of mine bought an encyclopedia on CD and gave me her old encyclopedia Britannica, 23 volumes. First thing I did was look up Jerusalem. It says that Jerusalem was destroyed in 587

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit