Am I the only one ...

by talesin 53 Replies latest social family

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Well I used to have alot of "worldly" friends when I lived in Kentucky, but I had to give them all up when we left, simply because I couldnt survive there financially without any college or career goals. Since then I havent made many new friends and have basically been alone here in Tennessee, but I have at least tried, it wasnt like I wanted it to turn out this way, but everything I have done here has always backfired on me and Ive never felt so unlucky until I moved here. Thankfully I have been able to meet up with Bob and a few others from this board who live locally, but I would give anything to find some friends my age who understand me and where im coming from. There have been a few people I have worked with in the past few years that I liked, but usually they end up quitting the job and moving. So it just Amanda and I here, no family. I was just about to give up on this place until I was able to meet Bob and Jill, im hoping more people will meet up with us in the future, and form some kind of local group.

Dave

• talesin
    talesin

Thegoodgirl

Glad you are here with us. You're no longer alone. *squeezes*

Markfromcali

That is one of my goals, to make it to a 'fest. I've met a couple of folks from here, and it has been oh-so-good to get together.

acadian

thank you!

J-G

Starting over again, in a new place. Yes, that's gotta be hard, especially when you are so busy! From what I read, you & Amanda seem like great folk. The friends will come along, give it time.

tal

• bem
    bem

Talesin, Head Banger You Rawk!! I'm better ty. it's getting used to working twelve hour shifts, and sleeping three hours between them. I can't rest until the day before it's time to start all over again. Good thing I like my j-o-b. But then my boys have me all reved up to see Star Wars III.

• talesin
    talesin

Oh, bem, that is so sweet! thank you

Hey, I hear ya, you must be exhausted. zzzzzz .... Waiting for SW here too, and will go after the crowds die down. I'm like a little kid myself. heheh

xo

tal

( hahaha, I just can't wait to see it ... oh, there's a good thought! )

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

*looking around at all of us who at one time or another "thought" we were alone*

• Banshee
    Banshee

talesin,

I really apologize if I misunderstood your post!It sounds like maybe I did.

I found it SO hard to connect with people after being brought up as a JW. In fact, sometimes I have bouts of feeling alone & disconnected, too! Also, for numerous reasons, it still takes me a pretty long time to really open up to/trust people. I have a few people that I truly feel safe with (my spouse included) but I still have a tendency to keep those protective emotional barriers between myself and most people. This is something I have discussed with my CoDA sponsor and its a thing I'm trying to work on....to find balance in this area.

So, no you are not the only one & I think we each have our "down" or "blah" times.

• talesin
    talesin

* has lightbulb moment gives wlg big thank-you hug for returning the favour *

banshee,

"find balance", you hit the nail on the head!

I really enjoyed your earlier comments, too. It's kinda like stages, isn't it? Deal with the culture shock of leaving the JWs, learn the usual lessons about being happy alone, and even so, we still feel 'disconnected'. So true ...

The phrase 'cognitive dissonance' comes to mind more and more when I think of this ... time to leave the bubble, hey? (check yr PM :D)

xo

tal

• donkey
    donkey

I cannot deal with the loneliness I feel.

I barely sleep any more and I am often awake at 3am.

I have an intense need to feel understood, wanted and loved. All I can do to cope right now is to submerge myself in activity - in my case it is work and I am currently working around 70 hours a week. Not having any time to dwell on what a miserable failure I am helps me mentally but I know my health will soon deteriorate and I will be left again with nothing but the loneliness. I just hope that when my health does give out that I pass quickly as I don't want to have time to think or to feel the pain, otherwise I will find a way to end it

Donkey

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

and i just cant get rid

of these voices in my head

• squinks
    squinks

Yup Tale, me too. I have a spouse and he is superb but he cannot be my all and my everything-not fair to him! I miss having friends. I became so suspicious and distrustful after the JWs. I am thinking seriously of therapy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit