Either Jehovah made a mistake....or Moses did.

by gumby 82 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Satanus
    Satanus

I hear that some dogs chew their cud, or another dog's cud. Hey, it's all jehovah's wonderful and fear inspiring creation. His qualities are clearly seen in them.

S

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

I never have to clean the kitty litter box -- the dog does it for me. <shivers> Does that count?

CG

• gumby
    gumby
    Anyway its really a technicallity isnt it? Whats the big deal to non-jews.

That's the whole point of this thread Xphere. This particular passage was a direct quote from god as to what the Israelites could eat and could not eat. God doesn't make "technicalities does" he? God knows if a rabbit chews it's cud or not....he created the rabbit. Why would he be so specific to Moses to have his people abstain from eating it...........only for us to find out it doesn't chew the cud.

Leolaia.....I'm stickin with keeping Moses as a culprit even if it wasn't him cuz I'm still mad at the little bastard for taking glory for himself on the water fountain thingy.

AlmostAtheist.......bite me! Yer just jealous cuz I can outdrink ya.

Ozmeister......good to see you buddy! Now that I know your watching....do I hafta be nicer?

Gumby

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

~sniffs~
    ~feeling ignored by his old buddy~

• gumby
    gumby

If you wouldn't post 2 minutes before I post....maybe I wouldn't forget ya. Ya always post while I'm typing my post .....then bitch at me seconds later. Yer just like my wife.....never give me a dang second.....do ya?

*stomps outta the room scratchin nutsack*

Gumby

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

You need to get something for that jock itch.
    Have you tried rubbing in some rabbit doodoo?

• upside/down
    upside/down

cud?.... that's just gross

u/d (of the got cud? class)

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

A casual observer would notice that rabbits appear to be chewing, even when no food was present. So, a poor scientist (and Jehovah is surely a poor scientist - just look at the order of creation) would assume that rabbits chew their cud, when they are really just shit-eaters (like JWs, as has already been pointed out).

• TheListener
    TheListener

Are there any other poop eating animals? I am finding myself leaning to the fact that God probably was over simplyifing the situation. The rabbit eats its food twice, like cud chewers. Therefore it's unclean; I mean come on - it eats poo poo! I'll never eat hosenfepper(sp?) again.

I have a hard time saying the bible is wrong on this one. It just seems like our definition of cud chewer is too stringent.

Some birds are unclean? is it becausebaby birds eat mom's regurgitated food or do they chew cud too? or do they eat people?

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

yeah this is wts official answer and it goes along with what many have said re the hare looking and behaving like a cud chewer and moses not having access to that info...however gumbys point acknowledges this and moses knowing or not knowing is irrelevant since one of the arguments used to back up biblical inspiration is that it reveals things that couldnt possibly have been known..like quarantine, covering over excrement, world being round, water cycle, skin on teeth (hmm suspect) and in many cases the jews were not given the reasons why they were to obey ..they were just given the command..so this is an anomaly for sure

Why

does the Bible classify the hare as a cud chewer?

The Scriptural reference to the hare as a cud chewer has frequently been doubted by some critics of the Bible. (Le 11:4, 6; De 14:7) It should not be overlooked, however, that the modern, scientific classification of what constitutes chewing of the cud provides no basis for judging what the Bible says, as such classification did not exist in the time of Moses. Even in the 18th century, English poet William Cowper, who had at length observed his domestic rabbits, commented that they "chewed the cud all day till evening." Linnaeus, famed naturalist of the same century, believed that rabbits chewed the cud. But it remained for others to supply more scientific data. Frenchman Morot discovered in 1882 that rabbits reingest up to 90 percent of their daily intake. Concerning the hare, Ivan T. Sanderson in a recent publication remarks: "One of the most extraordinary [habits], to our way of thinking, is their method of digestion. This is not unique to Leporids [hares, rabbits] and is now known to occur in many Rodents. When fresh green food, as opposed to desiccated [dried] winter forage, is available, the animals gobble it up voraciously and then excrete it around their home lairs in a semi-digested form. After some time this is then re-eaten, and the process may be repeated more than once. In the Common Rabbit, it appears that only the fully grown adults indulge this practice."?Living Mammals of the World, 1955, p. 114.

Certain British scientists of this century made close observations of the rabbits? habits under careful controls, and the results they obtained were published in the Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London, 1940, Vol. 110, pp. 159-163. Briefly this is the way the hare reingests its food: If a rabbit eats a breakfast of fresh food, it passes through the stomach into the small intestine, leaving behind in the cardiac end of the stomach some 40 or 50 grams of pellets that were already present when the fresh food was eaten. From the small intestine the morning meal enters the caecum or blind end of the large intestine and there remains for a period of time. During the day the pellets descend, and in the intestines the bacterial protein in them is digested. When they reach the large intestine they bypass the material in the caecum and go on into the colon where the excess moisture is absorbed to produce the familiar dry beans or droppings that are cast away. This phase of the cycle completed, the material stored in the dead end of the caecum next enters the colon, but instead of having all the moisture absorbed it reaches the anus in a rather soft condition. It is in pellet form with each coated with a tough layer of mucus to prevent them from sticking together. Now when these pellets reach the anus, instead of being cast away, the rabbit doubles up and takes them into the mouth and stores them away in the cardiac end of the stomach until another meal has been eaten. In this way the special rhythmic cycle is completed and most of the food has passed a second time through the digestive tract.

Dr. Waldo L. Schmitt, Head Curator, Department of Zoology of the Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C., in commenting on these findings, wrote: "There seems to be no reason to doubt the authenticity of the reports of various workers that rabbits customarily store semi-digested food in the caecum and that this is later reingested and passes a second time through the digestive tract." He also observed that here is an explanation for "the phenomenally large caecum of rabbits as compared with most other mammals."?Awake!, April 22, 1951, pp. 27, 28.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit