Either Jehovah made a mistake....or Moses did.

by gumby 82 Replies latest watchtower bible

• gumby
    gumby

In Leviticus 11:6, it tells us that the rabbit chews the cud. They don't chew the cud.

In Leviticus 11:20 it tells us that insect walk on four leggs. They don't......they have 6 leggs.

Why the problem?

The footnote commentary for the NIV says the rabbit was probably confused with cud chewing animals "because of the way it chews."

As for the insects, it say that ...."perhaps the Jews didn't count the hind leggs used for jumping".

I can swallow the last one.....but if god really inspired the bible ....or inspired men to write it......then how could Moses be so off base in commanding his people not to eat rabbits because they chew their cud but do not have a split hoof and is therefore unclean to an Israelite? It wasn't a little slip on Moses part was it? Wasn't it was a direct command from god to Moses as to dietary restrictions?

Gumby

• ozziepost
  • AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Don't you hate it when Reverend Gumby gets so smashed on Saturday night that he wakes up on Tuesday and thinks it's time for his Sunday School Class?!?

Dave

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Leave Moses out of it. He's innocent.

Blame the Priestly writer or whoever was responsible.

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

From what I understood rabbits do display some of the qualities of a ruminant (cows, etc.) So they can technically be classified as such. What rabbits do accomplishes the same goal as a cow in that the food is partially digested but instead of being regurgitated they pass it their gastro-intestinal tract and then consume it.

Anyway its really a technicallity isnt it? Whats the big deal to non-jews.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

So one talks shyte and one eats it, is that what you're telling me?

• TheListener
    TheListener

I did some research on this. What rabbits do is called refection. Essentially the first time they eat something they get some vitamins and minerals out of it. They then poop it out. Then they re-eat it and get more vitamins and minerals out.

Not specifically ruminating but still performing the same general function. Eating the same food twice. I'd expect God to have been a bit more specific on this one.

Perhaps God could have said 'Do not eat the hare, for it eats sh^!$#t.'

• Terry
    Terry
    I did some research on this. What rabbits do is called refection. Essentially the first time they eat something they get some vitamins and minerals out of it. They then poop it out. Then they re-eat it and get more vitamins and minerals out.

Just like the JW's who take in propaganda from the Watchtower study, then, go preach it at the door; win a convert and then listen to the convert repeat it on the platform during the Ministry School! Yum!

T.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Q: Why is a rabbit more intelligent than the average JW?

A: Coz he can tell the difference between fresh shyte and recirculated old shyte, and will only eat it once!

• Sith
    Sith

The mistake was made because Moses couldn't do the proper research, because he wouldn't get a library access card to Pharoah's library, because that would be wrong.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit