JW working the obituaries

by Icansaylucky 46 Replies latest jw experiences

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    "Can't you see this white wreath? Don't you know there was a death in this family?" I said I hadn't realized that was what the wreath was for.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I've never heard of this before! (and I've been around a while LOL) Is this a regional custom, or is it well-known everywhere?

Looking back now, it makes me feel bad for all the hearts we trampled on during our years as slaves for the WTS.

Annie

• unique1
    unique1

Now, that I am older, I know that in the South, the funeral homes give you a White Wreath to put on your door along with a guest book at the home for visitors. They also put up those stupid signs that say "SLOW FUNERAL". I assumed this was custom everywhere, but I have never lived in another state. For whatever reason the signs weren't up for that house that day.

• Icansaylucky
    Icansaylucky

Unique1, that made me sad that you were treated like that for not knowing what a white wreath was for. I would have done the same thing you did. To this day I can not work in a sales position because of the feeling of pushing something on someone or fear of rejection.

• unique1
    unique1

Yeah, I hate salespeople. I never really realized the possible association of that hatred with my being a JW. Huh? Well, I figure something out new about my dislikes and likes and how they relate to my past. Freaky.

I like your name. My mom used to always say "Lucky is an ancient God and we don't call upon the name of false beings only Jehovah" I still have issues saying Good Luck and Bless You.

• Icansaylucky
    Icansaylucky

Unique1, I too have a problem with saying Bless you, but not because of guilt or anything, I just think it's a pointless cliche'. My daughter acts offended if I don't say it when she sneezes. I don't have a problem saying lucky at all. My forum name is representative of being liberated from all the ridiculous restrictions and unjust guilt that I felt as a Witty for so many years. How long have you been an inactive witness or are you still partially in? I've been out for 25 years so I've adjusted, but the first several years was like learing to walk all over again.

• HadEnuf
    HadEnuf

SICK!

My thoughts exactly dragonlady! How low will they stoop? This seems to be about as low as they can go...well almost.

Cathy L.

• desbah
    desbah

yup...here's what happen to my sister and her JW friends, when one of our distance relative passed away...this guy hung himself and his body wasn't found in a month, so it was a big drama about how to plan his funeral. all of his sisters are from different religious backgrounds and they all agree to have a church funeral...Well my sister and i get into a big argument and i told her not to go over to our relatives and interfer on the funeral plans....so what does my sister and her JW friends do. they decided to preach to them and give them some tracts...well on the way over to find the house where the family meeting is located, my sister wasnt wearing her seat belt and the passanger side door open and she fell out and landed on the street. well she was ok and they never make it over to the relatives house to give them the good news.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

I'm with you--Icansaylucky!!! I got a kick when I first saw your s/n because it was so on target! I don't have any problem with saying God Bless You either. It was so liberating when I felt secure enough to say it.

SO many times in 30 years, I was in the company of nonJWs and someone would sneeze, and nothing but dead silence from me. I always felt awkward! I'd fill up the silence with saying something like "I hope you're not coming down with a cold" etc just to make ME feel better!

Annie

• Icansaylucky
    Icansaylucky

Yes Sunspot, I know exactly what you're saying, the silence when someone sneezes. It's almost like they make a point to make sure everyone knows that they're not going to say the horrible God Bless You, they may as well start filing their nails and yawning to show how far they are from saying it. When I first left the Witnesses and was associating with regular people and they would say Bless you, I would feel smile awkwardly and say thanks. Being raised a Witness makes you socially challanged in so many ways. My step mother a non witness told me that she said to my brother who is a 40 year old witness "Happy Thanksgiving" and he just sat there and stared and said "I don't know what to say" How about "Thank you" geezzzzz!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Sunspot and Icansaylucky:

I agree with you both. I say god bless you now whenever I can. I just think it is good manners. They say it is rooted in paganism. Well, so are many things in our culture. I tell you they strain out the gnat and gulp down the camel! All in all, they differ just for the sake of being different.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit