JW working the obituaries

by Icansaylucky 46 Replies latest jw experiences

• tweety
    tweety

I remeber when the WTS suggested to write letters and one way was the obituary's. When they suggested this...I thought to myself, NO WAY would I ever write someone a letter or send a tract by looking through the obituarys.' But, I do know of sisters who had bragged about doing this....just to get a few hours of service. Just had to make those hours when you were pioneering!

Dee

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I can tell you that this DOES happen. When my wife's grandmother died, her mother (who looks after her father's estate) got a stupid letter from a JW and that damn tract. She was absolutely appaled that the JWs do this. I didn't even know they did this until I saw the letter.

Bastards don't put return addresses on them either.

• Icansaylucky
    Icansaylucky

Wow, I guess either I was out of the loop when I was a Witness or this is something that happened after I escaped. I've been out since 1980. I love the Black Sabbath hat story, I would love to have seen that.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    Bastards don't put return addresses on them either.

Nos,

I went one better----I put my phone number on the letters I'd write hoping someone would call me and I could speak directly to them rather than depend on the written word if they had any questions (or interest)! I was really "whole-souled" LOL!

I only got one call in all those years, and the lady was mad! She chewed me out for ten minutes and made me promise never to write to her again!

I thought I was doin' good fer God, dontcha know!

Annie

• OldSoul
    OldSoul
    luna2: I always felt weak and cowardly because I couldn't do it. I didn't think it would comfort someone who'd just lost a loved one to hear that the JW's thought everything they ever believed about heaven and the afterlife was wrong.

Hmm. A conscience that helps guide your actions regardless of what someone else says. Yep, it's no wonder you aren't a JW anymore.

Respectfully,
    OldSoul

• DHL
    DHL

When my best friend died in a car crash while we were aged 15 my mother wrote such a letter to the parents of my dead friend. I had a hot and loud debate about this with her prior to her sending the letter, but she off course sent it anyway. I felt the urge to get over to my dead friends family and make an official excuse for my mother being so rude. And that's what I did. But they told me, they threw the letter in the trashbin as fast as they could have done. I was incredibly embarrassed anyway and had to let them know that this wasn't my way of handling things. They said they knew that I was a normal person (and therefore would never do such a thing) while my parents weren't!

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Yep - several 'sisters' in our hall did that.

Trying to put myself in the mind of one who recieves such a letter is hard - but I would most likely view it as opportunistic recruiting without a doubt. I doubt most people give it another thought on the way to the trash bin, to be honest. I would think that a kind letter/witness would go over better without any literature if I got one. But it is crude for sure.

I think some other very zealous religious people do the same - seems like I heard about that from somewhere long ago and the thought that came to mind was 'why they are copying our witnessing style'.

Jeff

• DHL
    DHL
    I think some other very zealous religious people do the same - seems like I heard about that from somewhere long ago and the thought that came to mind was 'why they are copying our witnessing style'.

Jeff

Freaks never die out! They use peoples temporary weaknesses and emotional turmoils against them. That's the worst attitude I could imagine.

• vitty
    vitty

The WT experiences are crap. At our hall a brother was doing an item on a new brochure or something and asked around for any good experiences, There werent any so a pioneer was asked surely she would have one. "well I dont really " she said " There was one women who took it and said shed read it and that I could go back, I did go back and she was pleasent, but thats all"

So on the platform she went and the brother puffed it out a bit ending with "We might see her at the hall in a few weeks time "

Anyway the CO was on the hunt for good experiences for the assembly and asked our hall did we have any. This sister was mentioned, by this time shed never got the householder in again after the first RV, but that didnt matter. She confessed to me after the assembly how embarrist she was cos the CO had virtually written a fictional experience for her to tell that was nothing like the real one. And that is not the exception either, I know most are exagerated

And as for the last article of Blondies, I wonder of the thousand tracts that were handed out, ended up in the bin? Or how many got ppl baptized?I can guess NONE

• unique1
    unique1

When I was quite young, maybe 12, I was working one side of the street while another sister worked the other side of the street. In my ignorance, I went up to a house with a white wreath thinking it was merely decoration and knocked. I started my presentation and was quickly cut off. The guy said, "Can't you see this white wreath? Don't you know there was a death in this family?" I said I hadn't realized that was what the wreath was for. The guy continued to berate me, so I did what as a 12 year old at the time I thought was best, offer him a tract on dead loved ones. Boy was that the wrong thing to do. He threw it at me and slammed the door. After that I never even thought about approaching someone with the tract. When they urged those to visit cemetaries or write families in obits. I just knew I couldn't.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit