Help with Kittens

by Purza 53 Replies latest jw friends

• Purza
    Purza

Thank you for the links. I printed out all the info. I also called the vet and asked about the fleas. As someone mentioned earlier -- a flea comb ONLY can be used. They are too young for anything else. Based upon my description to the vet, she said it sounded like they were less than 2 weeks old. She also said that I should "expect at least 2 of them to die". I will try my darndest to save all of them!

Purza

• lilbit
    lilbit

Unfortunatly your doc is probably right. If you can take them to work with you they do stand a better chance and just like with a human baby plan on being up most of the night too, hopefully you can get your hubby to help you out with that

• rebel8
    rebel8

I took care of 1 orphan kitty once. I didn't have to do anything to make him pee/poop, but I did have to burp after feeding. His belly would swell and I'd have to tap it with my fingers until he burped. I couldn't find anywhere to buy the appropriate nipple to minimize air ingestion.

Mine came from a home without cats, and it was following around people and imitating everything they did (hence "copy cat"). In fact, he would put his paws up on the side of the toilet, lean against it, and pee standing up....on the side of the toilet, yuck. Had to make sure the kitten was not in the bathroom before any guys used it, because they'd look down and he'd be imitating them! (I swear--saw it with my own 2 eyes!)

Anyway....I had an adult cat and took the kitten in so it would have a cat to copy. It worked well. He began imitating the cat instead.

• Purza
    Purza
    but I did have to burp after feeding. His belly would swell and I'd have to tap it with my fingers until he burped.

Rebel:

I told this to my fiancee and he laughed at me. He said a "mother cat doesn't burp the kittens". LOL Guess formula is a different matter than mommy kitty milk.

Purza

• bikerchic
    bikerchic
    I told this to my fiancee and he laughed at me. He said a "mother cat doesn't burp the kittens". LOL Guess formula is a different matter than mommy kitty milk.

No we had to burp our kittens too, something about the bottle feeding and air getting into their tummies. We just gently folded them half way between feeding and again after they were done. That brought the burp up every time. You can tell when they need to burp they act uncomfortable and as they get more active you won't have to do it cuz their own movement and playfulness will take care of it, but while they are so young and don't move around much you will need to help them release the bubbles.

Kate

• PurpleV
    PurpleV

How to get rid of fleas:

At night, place a low bowl of dish-soapy water on the floor next to a lamp not too far from the kittens. Fleas will be attracted to the light and jump in the water and get caught in the soap and drown.

Worked for me!

• Satanus
    Satanus

How are the kitties today?

S

• unique1
    unique1

My cat tried to kill her kittens once. We found them severely dehydrated and COVERED in fleas. I called the emergency vet and she said give them pedialyte. I ran to get that and an eye dropper while mom ran a kitchen sink full of luke warm water. Then we soaked the poor little things to get the fleas to let go. One died later that night, but we managed to save the other two. Good Luck, sounds like you are doing everything else right. We also wrapped a watch that ticked in a towel to mimic a heart beat.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Well I don't have any advice to offer you Purza but I just wanted to give you a big hug for what you are doing. Kudos to you

• Purza
    Purza
    How are the kitties today?

Thank you asking Satanus. They are fine and they are all still alive. They have started to purr and it is the most precious thing I have heard in a long time. They haven't been pooping so my fiancee ran home after I had fed them at lunch to help stimulte them. There is so much to know in taking care of these little guys.

I decided to keep one of them (the one that is the most mellow) and I am trying to find homes for the other four, as I am getting married in three weeks and won't be around.

Well I don't have any advice to offer you Purza but I just wanted to give you a big hug for what you are doing. Kudos to you

Thank you xjw. I am exhausted, but I feel I have a responsibility to them.

Purza (which just happens to be my kitty's name)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit