Help with Kittens

by Purza 53 Replies latest jw friends

• Purza
    Purza
    You've received a lot of good advice; I learned a few things - like how many kind hearts visit this board.

So true! Thanks to everyone for all of your support! You're the best!!!!

Purza

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    All of them had swollen genitals as the big male cat was "nursing" on them. Ewwww. We had to buy this stuff called "Bitter Apple" and spray it on all of the behinds.

• Robdar
    Robdar

It's very kind of you to try to help the kittens. But perhaps you should return them to the mother. You may be contributing to the feral cat colonies when you take the kittens away from the nursing mother and cause her to go into heat sooner.

When the kitties are a few weeks older, you can trap them and bring them home. Or, you can wait until they are a few months older and trap, neuter and release them. You can also do this to the mother cat so that she doesn't reprduce after this batch of wee ones.

I work with feral cat colonies in Kansas City through the Humane Society's trap and release program. For $15 they will de-worm them, give them their shots and spay. If you wish, I will see if I can find somebody in the group who knows what you can do in CA to get assistance. Let me know.

Robyn

• Purza
    Purza
    But perhaps you should return them to the mother. You may be contributing to the feral cat colonies when you take the kittens away from the nursing mother and cause her to go into heat sooner.

Robyn,

I appreciate what you are saying. We are in the process of trying to trap the mother and the father in order to get them "fixed". If I thought it would be helpful I would have returned them, but by now the mother would reject them. They have experienced the human touch for the past week and I believe they will be more "tame" than if we trapped them when they were older. They would have a difficult time adapting. I have been in touch with a feral cat organization and they couldn't help me because of the area where we found the kittens.

Purza

• Purza
    Purza
    If you wish, I will see if I can find somebody in the group who knows what you can do in CA to get assistance. Let me know.

I would be happy to talk with someone who can give me some options. However, I will not return the kittens to the mother at this point.

Purza

• Robdar
    Robdar
    They have experienced the human touch for the past week and I believe they will be more "tame" than if we trapped them when they were older.

If you want a pet, that is the way to go. However, cats, providing that they have had their shots, have some sort of shelter and food can make it fine in the wild and do not need to be pets. When I found the colony that I am managing, I already had 5 cats and could not take in more.

As far as feral cats not responding well to human touch after a certain age, generally that is true. However, one of the 6 month old kittens that I recently trapped to spay, had gotten injured (dog had gotten her a few days before I set the trap) and could not be returned to the wild. She was found a home and has responded well to human touch over the past few weeks. She is doing well. Everybody is amazed that she has been tamed.

Here's a link for you that may be helpful:

http://www.kcpets.org/

These people are well connected and it wouldn't hurt to drop them an email. "No More Homeless Pets" societies are popping up in many states.

Good luck on all that kitten care you and your husband will be giving for the next few weeks.

Ain't too many things cuter than a kitten, eh?

• Robdar
    Robdar

For the those who may want to know more about TNR:

What is TNR?
    Trap, Neuter & Release

TNR is widely recognized as the most humane and effective strategy for reducing feral cat populations. TNR involves humanely trapping feral cats and transporting them to a veterinary clinic where they are spayed or neutered and may receive vaccinations and treatment for routine medical conditions. After surgery, the cat recuperates and is then returned back to its colony habitat where it will live out its natural life. Since the cats are no longer reproducing, the colony will gradually diminish in size, which also reduces or eliminates their natural tendencies of mating, fighting, and wandering. TNR makes the colony more stable, impacts the influx of newcomers, and improves the overall health of the cats.

In California (Sandiego area):

http://www.feralcat.com/

• Purza
    Purza

Thank you Robyn. I will check out those links you sent.

Purza

• Satanus
    Satanus

Well, it's a month now. How was the wedding? How did it turn out w the cats?

S

• Purza
    Purza
    Well, it's a month now. How was the wedding? How did it turn out w the cats?

Hey there Satanus -- I just saw your post today. I am happy to report that all five kitten made it! My husband said he knew none of them would die if I was taking care of them (I have the tendancy to over feed my pets sometimes). Two are finding homes through a friend that runs a cat shelter. They were 8 weeks old yesterday.

I have had three kittens since May 31st. OMG I love these guys. *gush* I have to part with two of them this Sunday -- their new mom is coming to get them. I am keeping Cleo (gray tabby who was the runt). She is the one that still had the umbilical cord attached to her when we got her. Watching them are more entertaining than watching tv. I hope Cleo does well when her brother and sister leave this Sunday. I will miss them.

Wedding was picture perfect -- it could not have been a more perfect day. My "worldly" (tm) friends were so helpful and supportive -- I can never repay them.

Thanks for asking.

Purza

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit