Help with Kittens

by Purza 53 Replies latest jw friends

• Purza
    Purza
    Please look into getting them all spade and neutered.

Absolutely!! The reason he didn't leave them there was that he didn't want to add to the ferral cat population. I am a big believer in "fixing" animals. And I am going to call the vet on my way home in a few minutes.

Cow's milk is very bad for them it messes up their digestion and will give them the runs.

I feel very bad that I did not know this last night. I now have the right formula and that is all they will get.

Thanks so much for all of your responses -- it is really helpful.

Purza

PS Did I mention that I am in the process of planning a wedding? Didn't need this extra stress.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

LOL I had to laugh at this:

Do not use a heating pad as it can get too hot for them.

Correction we actually used a warming rock from our reptile aquarium, it seemed to be okay at least all the kittens thrived and survived. If only the reptiles did as well........

• Purza
    Purza
    This will probably screw up their digestion for a few days

I read somewhere that if they get "the runs" that I should only give them Pedialyte. Maybe I should check with the vet?

Purza

• Purza
    Purza

Help! They have fleas -- what can you do?

Purza

• talesin
    talesin

Oh no! Kittens with fleas, they are so young. I'm not sure. bttt

I was going to suggest that you check with local vets. All the local vets here have adopt-a-kitten programs, where the person adopting can get a super deal on shots and neutering/spaying. You may get some assistance there.

You are doing a really great thing! Congrats on the upcoming celebration.

tal

• Shania
    Shania

Being that they were in the wild fleas are very common in kittens they get them from their mother, don't panic, but I think you have a full time job caring for them. I just checked my kitten health book, it says to use a flee comb on kittens under 12 weeks old ,avoid insecticides, wash bedding in very hot water and vaccum out bed.............and flee comb them every day. I wish I could be there to help you.

• Purza
    Purza
    I wish I could be there to help you

I wish you could too. I feel like I am in over my head. That is until I go home and these five sleeping kitties are so helpless and then my motherly instinct kicks in and I do what I have to do. I will go buy a flea comb after work. It looks like I will be keeping these guys until they get adopted.

Purza

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Odds are they also have worms too. If I remember correctly they get them from the mother's blood while still in the uterus.

Talk to the vet and ask him what a safe poison is for the fleas. This needs attention quickly because little kittens can become anemic from the fleas sucking out their blood. (One flea will not do this... but a bunch of fleas working together can)

• loosie
    loosie

try this link

http://www.thepetprofessor.com/secArticles/cat/Bottle_Feeding_Orphaned_Kittens.asp

You can wet a cotton ball with warm water from the tap and rub them to get them to pee. That's what the mom does but with her tongue.

• lilbit

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit