Help with Kittens

by Purza 53 Replies latest jw friends

• Purza
    Purza
    We also wrapped a watch that ticked in a towel to mimic a heart beat.

Unique,

Did that help?

Purza

• unique1
    unique1

It did when they started walking around. They will probably be ok, because there is so many of them huddled together and they can hear each others heart beat, but when it is just one or two and they get seperated they will cry and cry until they hear that comforting sound. It is just pitiful. The watch helped when that happed. It still took him a minute or two to calm down. If you can't get one to stop crying, (denying you of sleep) try picking him up and holding him to your heart with something furry or soft around him. That will put them to sleep usually.

• love11
    love11

Well, it sounds like you're a good mama. I caught this thread too late and everyone already gave the advice I was going to give. Pretty soon start showing them soft can food. They won't eat the hard stuff till later and even then some will not like it as an adult either. But it's too hard for them now. Just try it, even if they only eat one bite it will start to fill their bellies up more than milk will. But then again, don't listen to me, I started my human babies with rice cereal at a month old just to start sleeping through the night. It didn't kill them and it gave me much needed rest. Also, a word for the wise- almost all kittens have worms. If their belly is bloated- they have worms. Get a de- wormer and then give it to them again. It takes about 2-3 times with the de-wormer to get them. Outdoor cats seem to get everything- worms, fleas, mites, diseases. But it sounds like you have it under control- you're doing a great job! Kudos to you!

• Shania
    Shania

We are so proud of you for doing this. We got our 1lb kitten--she was the runt at 5-weeks, first I fell in love with how tiny she was, then I said I can fatten her up and took her home. (she is now 9lbs at 3years old) We bought a very soft baby blanket and put a soft stuffed bear in her bed at night and she did well. Lots of cuddeling in my hubby's neck---she felt secure there--------guess who her favorite person is? Yep, it is hubby and he loves her, every night at 6pm he is in his chair for the news she runs and lays right on him the whole night. She is his little buddy...............Any way, the point about soft food, get the canned food that has a lot of gravy, that way they will lick the juice which is very good for them even if they don't eat the food right away. And the point about worms is very common, when you bring them to the vet, he will check that and give some medicine right there that will take care of it...........I'm sorry you are a momma before you are married----------------can you wait till kitties are bigger before the wedding? (just kidding, if you lived close I could kitten sit while you are on your honeymoon.)...........Keep us posted sweetie, you are doing good and we are all thinking about you.

• Satanus
    Satanus

How are they doing? How are you doing?

S

• fairchild
    fairchild

Sorry I don't have time to read the whole thread, I'm on my way out the door, off to work. I stopped reading where you said that they have fleas. Don't know if other people have suggested this, but rub a bit of nutritional yeast on them. It will take care of the fleas in a hurry and you won't have to use any chemical products. You can buy nutritional yeast in any health food store. Make sure to buy it in bulk if they have it, otherwise they will sell you the brewers yeast in a can which is about 10 times more expensive.

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs

here's another no chemical flea remedy that works really good...although it might be kinda messy w/ that many kittens. run them a nice warm bath and get them moistened. then take a liberal amount of liquid Dawn dish detergent and lather 'em up! be sure not to get any in their lil' eyes...let it sit for about 10 minutes (be sure to keep them warm during this time) and rinse them off....the detergent is so thick that if u leave it on long enough it will smother the fleas and then u can go through with a flea comb and rinse them all out.

good luck with your little babies!!!

luv, kitty

• lilbit
    lilbit

How are the babies doing????

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I just saw this thread. You have my best wishes, Purrrr-za!

You've received a lot of good advice; I learned a few things - like how many kind hearts visit this board.

• Purza
    Purza

Okay everyone here is an update. All the kitties are doing well. I have pictures, but no clue how to upload the pictures. I have the pictures on my yahoo account so pm me with your address if you want to see them and I will try to send it out.

I think all of the fleas are gone, but we were just told to keep combing them with a flea comb. I may be tempted to try that nutritional yeast stuff.

One of the runts (there are two) had some really loose stool. Then this morning his left eye was glued stuff with some yucky stuff. So I jumped in the car and took all five of them to the Humane Society hospital. They looked at the kittens and said that they were all doing fine that that "goopies" in the eye is quite normal. By lunch time two other kitties had "goopie" eyes. Go figure. The HS said they all looked great and will take them from me next week. I am sad to let them go, but I am getting married a week from this Saturday and then heading to Hawaii -- I really can't care for them any longer.

Oh yeah, one more fun thing. All of them had swollen genitals as the big male cat was "nursing" on them. Ewwww. We had to buy this stuff called "Bitter Apple" and spray it on all of the behinds. LOL I hope it works!

Its not easy being a "foster parent", but in the future when I have a bit more time (and less work), I think I may volunteer with the HS. It is a rewarding experience.

Thanks everyone for caring!!! They are sweet little kittens.

Purza

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit