• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Jesus is a God, not the Almighty God.

DY

• upside/down
    upside/down
    Jesus is a God, not the Almighty God.

Yes according to the Bible...

Like I used to say to my "born again" friends....OK so Jeus is Lord-- NOW WHAT?.... They never know what to say after that....

Agreed

• greendawn
    greendawn

Like Fairchild I could never accept that Jesus was God in the mysterious Trinitarian concept but I could see why it was formulated, because they could not accept that there are two Gods (God the Father and God the Son) and desperately seeking to resolve this apparent polytheism they came up with the non sensical two in one idea a strange sort of alchemy based on neo platonic philosophy rather than on anything biblical. Mind you they didn't do it out of a pagan babylonish attitute as the JWs claim, and it was just a coincidence that some pagans had trinities. Their motive was genuine but misguided, they just couldn't stomach the idea of two Gods.

The whole drift of the new testament is not pro trinitarian Jesus himself or the apostles never formulated such a concept, very strange since this should be the most central one in christianity defining the relationship of the Father and the Son. If it was real they would certainly have expressed it clearly and unambigiously back then.

Then we see the Son had to suffer and be disciplined, before receiving the supreme status he had to pay a heavy price for it and I can't see how this could apply to God, why should God have to pay to aqcuire a status that belongs to him anyway, it makes no sense.

But God the Father being the master of everything can whenever He so wishes give divine status to another person and He made Christ a second God to sit on His throne and be worshipped like Him, the two of course being in perfect harmony and unity of mind, heart and purpose, Jesus did not have a grabbing selfish mentality in receiving his godship.

So the JWs are doing well to accept this fact and stop expelling those who say that Christ is one to be worshipped as Lord or God, and stop thinking of him as being a mere king or high priest of Jehovah.
    If they are not Christ's people/church if they do not invoke him and pray to him and even worse if they can't have a personal relationship with him then there is something very seriously wrong with them.

• homme perdu
    homme perdu

Has anyone notice that no one identifies God as the Holy Spirit even though it is one of the person in the Trinity

• upside/down
    upside/down
    Has anyone notice that no one identifies God as the Holy Spirit even though it is one of the person in the Trinity

Only an "apostate" would come up with such a silly question... Guards sieze him! u/d (of the don't try and use logic on me class) LoL!

• louieb78
    louieb78

I agree with Doubtfully Yours.

• AlanF
    AlanF

By appropriate (or inapparopriate) translation, one can make the Bible appear to be consistent with either position. If you set aside all of the passages that have this translational ambiguity, there are only a tiny number of passages that bear on the subject. Unfortunately, these are contradictory.

Also, if you consider how various Bible books treat the nature of Jesus as a function of the generally accepted dates of their writing, there is a clear evolution of that nature. The earlier gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke) treat Jesus as a man, whereas John treats Jesus as a mystical "Word of God" that seems to be as much "god" or "God" (theos in Greek) as man. After John was written, this evolution continued.

AlanF

• Oxnard Hamster
    Oxnard Hamster

I always wondered why Christians make a big deal about this issue. Shouldn't it be more important to do what's right and love your neighbor?

However, that's assuming Christianity is the true religion. Personally, I don't think the founders of Christianity intended the whole "Is Jesus God?" debate to be this big of a deal.

• mnb77
    mnb77

In discussion of John 14:28 "... If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: For my Father is greater than I." (KJV) I have been able to conclude that this is supporting the trinity idea because in Philippians 2:6-7 "Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men" (KJV). Naturally, then, Christ could speak of the Father as being "greater than I." The Son had even become "lower than the angels," in order to act as the Savior of mankind (Heb. 2:9).

Exodus 3:14 ---the "I am" arguement-- In the JW 1984 Large print New World Translation of the Holy Scripture with References has a foot note on Ex. 3:14, admitting that the Hebrew would be rendered in to Greek as "Ego eimi"--"I am". And the 1985 Kingdom Interlinear Translation of the Greek Scriptures reveals that Jesus' words at John 8:58 are the same: "ego eimi" (footnote), "I am" (interlinear text).

The whole thing about God cant be 3 in one well lets look at Genesis chapters 18 and 19. In the Watchtower Society's own NWT at Genesis 18:1-2, God appears to Abraham as three men (or angels). Abraham addresses the trhee as "Jehovah" (v.3). When the three men respond, the episode is described interchangabley as "they" speaking (v9) and "Jehovah" speaking (v13). When two of the three men depart to visit Lot in Sodom, Abraham continues to cvall the remaining one "Jehovah" but Lot addresses the other two as "Jehovah" (Gen 18:22,30 and 19:1,18) This may not prove the trinity out right, but it least demonstrates that it is possible for God to manifest himself as three-in-one.

Jesus described as Mighty God in Isaiah 9:6 and Jehovah described as Mighty God in Isaiah 10:20-21 then look at Jeremiah 32:18 in the NWT, it all connects just read the New World Translation (JW -bible)

gotta go for class mnb77

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

It's your personal position / relation

Good for you, Simon Bar-Jona! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you,....

For some He is, for others not

God is the God of the Living, not the dead

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit