Is Jesus God?

by Honesty 63 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mary
    Mary

I thought Gumby was God........or is he just "a god"?

Seriously though, I do not believe that Jesus was God or part of a trinity. I think he was a man.....I'm not even sure anymore if I believe he was the Messiah. As we well know today, when a charismatic figure dies a tragic death at an early age (example: Elvis), it doesn't take much before their followers elevate the decease's status to sainthood or beyond. I believe that someone named Jesus did exist and I believe he was a good person who really did care for the undergod and was appalled at the way the rank and file Jew was being treated by the leaders of the day. I believe he was put to death for sedition against the Roman Empire, probably at the instigation of a few powerful Jewish leaders who wanted him out of the way, but most likely not by the bloodthirsty "crowds" that the New Testament indicates was responsible.

Seeing as Jesus died a tragic death at an early age, his followers----after their initial shock and grief----began to make him out as something more than what he was. We all still tend to do that today. It was at least 20 years after he died that his followers began writing about his life and I believe that somewhere in those 20 or 30 years, he began to be seen as something more than just a man by those that survived him. Plus, many of the gospels and letters that make up the New Testament were edited and re-written before becoming "officially" canonized. I think some scriptures were altered by those who wanted to elevate Jesus' status and to make it appear that he was God himself.

• zion
    zion

Hi people im new here... this question doesn raise much of a doubt really... Jesus can't be God, because by the time he was here among us, when he died and was ressurrected (not sure if this is how you write it, but then again im not english so :P), if he and God were the same person, then either he ressurrected himself or he didnt even died in the first place, which is ridiculous... There is God Jehovah, there is Jesus His son, and then there is the holy ghost, that is His power... Cheers :)

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Boa noite zion, seja bemvindo!

Part of the issue is, what does "Son of God" mean?

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/66342/1.ashx

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

aren't you glad somebody pointed out to you you were being lied to when you were a witness? It's no different now. You believers are very similar to the dubs. When someone points out the bibles lunacy and fallacies......you take it as an attack on you personally. Frankly......it gripes me arse that ex-witnesses are devoted to the bible as gods word to the point of feeling it's blasphamious to research it's authenticity.

Gumby absolutely. I am open to reviewing the bible, but one step at a time.

Thanks

• Honesty
    Honesty
    I've never felt you could ask a person who has never read the bible before to come to the conclusion ......Jesus is god if they DID read it. People are TAUGHT the trinity.

Gumby

That's another reason I disfellowshipped the Governing Body of JW's for apostasy because they deny the diety of Christ. I read the bible and let the WatchTower magazines collect dust while learning real bible truths.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Gumby:I'm with Honesty on this one. I thought we'd discussed this in the past?
    This was my breakpoint, with the WTS, too.

I can genuinely say that it was through bible reading alone, that I arrived at that conclusion - despite what I wanted to believe.

• gumby
    gumby

LT and Honesty........so your saying had you ONLY read the bible alone.......you would have come to the conclusion that Jesus is god?

Gumby

• Honesty
    Honesty
    LT and Honesty........so your saying had you ONLY read the bible alone.......you would have come to the conclusion that Jesus is god?

Gumby

That's exactly how I figured it all out, Gumby. Tossing the WT and reading the bible like a book.

For instance:

God = Isa. 9:6, John 1:1, John 20:28 Jer 32:18, Isa 43:10, 45:22

2 Peter 1:1, Titus 2:13, Jer. 23:6 Heb. 1:8, 1 John 5:20

Light = John 8:12, 1:9 Micah 7:8, Isa. 60:20 Luke 2:32 Ps. 27:1

The 1st & the Last = Rev, 1:17, 2:8, 22:13 Isa. 44:6, 48:12, 41:4

Creator = John 1:3, Col 1:15-17, Heb 1:10 Job 33:44 Isa 40:28

Gen 1:1

Judge = 2 Tim 4:1 2 Co 5:10 Rom 14:10 Gen 18:25 Joel 3:12

• gumby
    gumby

Hi Honesty....and thanks for the reply. You DO KNOW.....that most of the scriptures you used can be debated by non-trinitarians, correct?

What stikes me as odd.....is that if you took 50 people who read ONLY the bible, and then asked them who Jesus was....god or his son, that you would get two different conclusions. Why?

According to those who subscribe to Jesus diety as god....it's sacriledge to deny his diety....and to those opposed, it's sacriledge to elevate him to god. I'd think god would have made it clear who He and his SON were.... had he truly inspired the bible.

Gumby

• Satanus
    Satanus

Shortly after leaving the wt, i too concluded that the bible's overall idea was that jesus was god incranate. It's funny how people put so many limitations on the bible god. Even that god could be both the 'father' and the 'son' on the earth at the same time, and for all that, he could be the three angels walking around to visit uncle abe as well, all the time remaining wherever was his abode. Antitrinitarians like the dubs like these restrictions on their god. It keeps him controled and predictable. The wt god is a midget god compared to the christian god. I guess all that was a slippery slope for me as i slid into the cesspool of pantheism.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit