GIVE AN EXAMPLE of the best writing you've ever read

by Terry 68 Replies latest social entertainment

• blondie
    blondie

"The game's isn't over until it's over."--Yogi Berra

" It's only too late when you're dead."--Malcolm Forbes

When I was at a crossroads in my life as a JW wondering what life still held for me if I left the organization, these quotes motivated me to realize my life was not over, that I had many things still open to me in life.

To Kill a Mockingbird had a profound effect on my life too. I re-read it about every 2 years.

They're certainly entitled to think that, and they're entitled to full respect for their opinions... but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience. ~Atticus, Chapter 11

When a child asks you something, answer him, for goodness' sake. But don't make a production of it. Children are children, but they can spot an evasion quicker than adults, and evasion simply muddles 'em. ~Atticus, Chapter 9

Blondie

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

The Last Question... Isaac Asimov

Man's last mind paused before fusion, looking over a space that included nothing but the dregs of one last dark star and nothing besides but incredibly thin matter, agitated randomly by the tag ends of heat wearing out, asymptotically, to the absolute zero.

Man said, "AC, is this the end? Can this chaos not be reversed into the Universe once more? Can that not be done?"

AC said, "THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER."

Man's last mind fused and only AC existed -- and that in hyperspace.

Matter and energy had ended and with it space and time. Even AC existed only for the sake of the one last question that it had never answered from the time a half-drunken computer technician ten trillion years before had asked the question of a computer that was to AC far less than was a man to Man.

All other questions had been answered, and until this last question was answered also, AC might not release his consciousness.

All collected data had come to a final end. Nothing was left to be collected.

But all collected data had yet to be completely correlated and put together in all possible relationships.

A timeless interval was spent in doing that.

And it came to pass that AC learned how to reverse the direction of entropy.

But there was now no man to whom AC might give the answer of the last question. No matter. The answer -- by demonstration -- would take care of that, too.

For another timeless interval, AC thought how best to do this. Carefully, AC organized the program.

The consciousness of AC encompassed all of what had once been a Universe and brooded over what was now Chaos. Step by step, it must be done.

And AC said, "LET THERE BE LIGHT!"

And there was light --

• donald
    donald

this is a wedding poem

On this day to be standing here with you

Theres no doubt i know this love is true

see my tears only you can understand

a state of grace , i feel blessed to hold your hand

from the first day i envisoned myself with you

when i look into your eyes i see a lifetime of dreams come true

with your love im not alone

in your arms im never far from home

on my own ive searched for something more

yours is the kiss ive waited for

theres a room in my heart that youve unlocked the door

that no ones ever opened before

ive walked amoung the lonely watching lovers come and go

it takes years to get it right but weve got time to let it grow

reaching for places in time to remember

safe in the innocent arms of surrender

i lived touched by your state of grace

to be by your side in time and space

deep in each others arms we lie

somewhere in the night well try

if lying in your arms is the last thing ill ever do

at least ill know i was loved by you.................................

...donald

• adelmaal
    adelmaal

WHERE CREDIT IS DUE

It is not the critic who counts; not the one who points out how the strong person stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the person who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, and comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself or herself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he or she fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his or her place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. ~Theodore Roosevelt

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

I have this plaque over my computer.

The Light of Integrity

"The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the full light of day. The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, what you choose, what you think, and what you do is who you become. Your integrity is your destiny....it is the light that guides your way."

Heraclitus (Greek poet and philosopher)

• zanex
    zanex

I am always a sucker for invictus... the last stanza I think means the most to me..

It matters not how strait the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll,

I am the master of my fate:

I am the captain of my ship...

-Z-

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

The best writing that Iv'e ever read comes down to Mark Twain. I think he was the most smart observer of human life that ever lived.

CG

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Methought I heard a voice cry sleep no more, macbeth shakespeare

• tweety
    tweety

This story is so profound to me, because the words that we speak or the words of others can be harmful.

'Words Spoken are like Feathers in the Wind

You can never get them back'

There is a 19th century folktale about a man who went about town slandering the town's wise man. One day, he went to the wise man's home and asked for forgiveness. The wise man, realizing that this man had not internalized the gravity of his transgressions, told him that he would forgive him on one condition: that he go home, take a feather pillow from his house, cut it up, and scatter the feathers to the wind. After he had done so, he should then return to the wise man's house.

Though puzzled by this strange request, the man was happy to be let off with so easy a penance. He quickly cut up the pillow, scattered the feathers, and returned to the house.

"Am I now forgiven?" he asked.

"Just one more thing," the wise man said. "Go now and gather up all the feathers."

"But that's impossible. The wind has already scattered them."

"Precisely," he answered. "And though you may truly wish to correct the evil you have done, it is as impossible to repair the damage done by your words as it is to recover the feathers. Your words are out there in the marketplace, spreading hate, even as we speak."

Dee

• TooOpinionated
    TooOpinionated

As I was exiting the cult, I still was plagued with doubts, foreboding, fear, etc. Then I came upon this quote by Aldous Huxley that made me stop cold-"Facts do not cease to be because they are ignored." It strengthened my resolve, since I was facing (and not wanting to believe) for the first time the true facts of the cult.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit