When sorrow walked with me.

-Robert Browning Hamilton

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

The Lord is my Shepherd....

You know the rest.

• titch
    titch

The words of the late Carl Sagan, as he was displaying photos of The Pale Blue Dot---Planet Earth---as taken by one of the Voyager spacecraft, back in 1990.. Best Regard.....Titch.

• Judgerussellford
    Judgerussellford

The wizards rules from the sword of truth series (the books).

1. "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."
      • Wizard's First Rule, page 560[1]
    2. "The greatest harm can result from the best intentions."
      • Stone of Tears, Chapter 63, page 886
    3. "Passion rules reason."
      • Blood of the Fold, Chapter 43, page 360
    4. "There is magic in sincere forgiveness. Magic to heal. In forgiveness you grant, but more so in forgiveness you receive."
      • Temple of the Winds, Chapter 41, page 318
    5. "Mind what people do, not only what they say, for deeds will betray a lie."
      • Soul of the Fire, Chapter 28, page 205
    6. "The most important rule there is, the Wizard's Sixth Rule: the only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason. The first law of reason is this: what exists, exists, what is, is and from this irreducible bedrock principle, all knowledge is built. It is the foundation from which life is embraced." — Richard
      • Faith of the Fallen, Chapter 41, pages 459-60
    7. "Life is the future, not the past. The past can teach us, through experience, how to accomplish things in the future, comfort us with cherished memories, and provide the foundation of what has already been accomplished. But only the future holds life. To live in the past is to embrace what is dead. To live life to its fullest, each day must be created anew. As rational, thinking beings, we must use our intellect, not a blind devotion to what has come before, to make rational choices."
      • The Pillars of Creation, Chapter 60, page 549
    8. "Talga Vassternich. Deserve Victory."
      • Naked Empire, Chapter 61, page 626
    9. A contradiction cannot exist in reality. Not in part, nor in whole.
      • Chainfire, Chapter 48, page 489
    10. "Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self."
      • Phantom, Chapter 12, page 127
    11. "The rule of all rules. The rule unwritten." The Unwritten rule. Knowledge is earned not given.
      • Confessor, Chapter 65, page 592
    12. You can destroy those who speak the truth, but you cannot destroy the truth itself.
      • The Omen Machine, Chapter 70, page 446
    13. Life gives dimension to time.
      • The Third Kingdom, Chapter 26, page 175.
    14. “There have always been those who hate, and there always will be.”
      • Severed Souls, Chapter 47, page 306
    15. “In this world, everyone must die. None of us has any choice in that. Our choice is how we wish to live.”
      • Warheart, Chapter 52, page 389 wizards first rule being my favorite
  • littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

"It is not possible for us to know each other except as we manifest ourselves in distorted shadows to the eyes of others. We do not even know ourselves; therefore, why should we judge a neighbor? Who knows what pain is behind virtue and what fear behind vice? No one, in short, knows what makes a man,and only God knows his thoughts, his joys, his bitternesses, his agony, the injustices committed against him and the injustices he commits.
    God is too inscrutable for our little understanding. After sad meditation it comes to me that all our lives, whether good or in error, mournful or joyous, obscure or of gilded reputation, painful or happy, is only a prologue to love beyond the grave, where all is understood and almost all forgiven.

Seneca

Came across the above quote reading A Prologue to Love by Taylor Caldwell

• riblah
    riblah

She had the face of an angel

Smiling with sin

A body of Venus with arms

- Angus Young Malcolm Young Bon Scott

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

This is from a man approaching 80

1. After loving my parents, my siblings, my spouse, my children and my friends, I have now started loving myself.

2. I have realized that I am not “Atlas”. The world does not rest on my shoulders.

3. I have stopped bargaining with vegetable & fruit vendors. A few pennies more is not going to break me, but it might help the poor fellow save for his daughter’s school fees.

4. I leave my waitress a big tip. The extra money might bring a smile to her face. She is toiling much harder for a living than I am.

5. I stopped telling the elderly that they've already told that story many times. The story makes them walk down memory lane & relive their past.

6. I have learned not to correct people even when I know they are wrong. The onus of making everyone perfect is not on me. Peace is more precious than perfection.

7. I give compliments freely & generously. Compliments are a mood enhancer not only for the recipient, but also for me. And a small tip for the recipient of a compliment, never, NEVER turn it down, just say "Thank You.”

8. I have learned not to bother about a crease or a spot on my shirt. Personality speaks louder than appearances.

9. I walk away from people who don't value me. They might not know my worth, but I do.

10. I remain cool when someone plays dirty to outrun me in the rat race. I am not a rat & neither am I in any race.

11. I am learning not to be embarrassed by my emotions. It’s my emotions that make me human.

12. I have learned that it's better to drop the ego than to break a relationship. My ego will keep me aloof, whereas with relationships, I will never be alone.

13. I have learned to live each day as if it's the last. After all, it might be the last.

14. I am doing what makes me happy. I am responsible for my happiness, and I owe it to myself. Happiness is a choice. You can be happy at any time, just choose to be!

I decided to share this for all my friends. Why do we have to wait to be 60 or 70 or 80, why can't we practice this at any stage and age?

• GabeAthouse
    GabeAthouse

"..a large crowd were following a man with a talking serpent. The serpent gave greetings and spoke in foreign tongues. A brother went to the house and as soon as he entered the serpent went silent. The man yelled "a magician has entered the room!" The brother replied: "Is that a serpent or demon that is talking to you? Since God created man not one serpent has talked except one in the garden of Eden....his serpent remained silent and the man left...later he was eager to get some literature..."

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

I love Earnest Hemingway. If Shakespeare is an artist, Hemingway is a craftsman. A draughtsman with words.

This always touches me with its truth:

"If people bring so much courage to this world the world has to kill them to break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.”

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit