by Terry 68 Replies latest social entertainment

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

"Call me MegaDude."

from

"Moby Dude"

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Every word Douglas Adams ever wrote. From a short article about work in his home:

Things are rather complicated by the fact that one of them is an electrician called Frank the Vandal. That is, his friends, if he has any that aren't in hospital, call him Frank, and I call him Frank the Vandal because every time he needs to get at any bit of wiring he tends to hack his way through anything else that's in the way to get at it plasterwork, woodwork, plumbing, telephone lines, furniture, even other bits of wiring that he's put in himself on previous raids. He is, I am assured, very good as an electrician, though I think he is maybe not very good as a human being. But I'm digressing here from the point I was trying to make, and have rather lost the thread because Frank just cut the power off since I did the last save. So, where was I? Ah yes.

http://www.douglasadams.com/dna/980707-00-a.html

Author of the five books of Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy trilogy. ;-)

Why'd he have to die? :-(

Dave

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

Tweety/Dee--

Feathers in the wind ~ I think that is such an important story and important lesson to learn and to teach proactively!!! So much hurt has been done thru slander/gossip/rumour its horrendous and can't be undone! Thank you for sharing that!

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Tweety/Dee--

Feathers in the wind ~ I think that is such an important story and important lesson to learn and to teach proactively!!! So much hurt has been done thru slander/gossip/rumour its horrendous and can't be indone! Thank you for sharing that!

Yes, thanks for sharing that with me, I really thought about that.

CG

• pseudoxristos
    pseudoxristos

This excerpt from one of Voltaire's poems:

Man is a stranger to his own research;

He knows not whence he comes, nor whither goes.

Tormented atoms in a bed of mud,

Devoured by death, a mockery of fate.

But thinking atoms, whose far-seeing eyes,

Guided by thought, have measured the faint stars,

Our being mingles with the infinite;

Ourselves we never see, or come to know.

pseudo

• fairchild
    fairchild
    Why'd he have to die? :-(

I feel the same way about Roald Dahl. His adult books as well as his kid books were brilliant. Every single one of them.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

The last two paragraphs from White Nights by Fyodor Dostoevsky

But that I should feel any resentment against you, Nastenka! That I should cast a dark shadow over your bright, serene happiness! That I should chill and darken your heart with bitter reproaches, wound it with secret remorse, cause it to beat anxiously at the moment of bliss! That I should crush a single one of those delicate blooms which you will wear in your dark hair when you walk up the aisle to the altar with him! On no-never, never! May your sky be always clear, may your dear smile be always bright and happy, and may you be for ever blessed for that moment of bliss and happiness which you gave to another lonely and grateful heart!

Good Lord, only a moment of bliss? Isn't such a moment sufficient for the whole of a man's life?

• seesthesky
  • seesthesky
    seesthesky

i tried to post a poem from a writer i know - he gave me permission when i asked him - then a few minutes later he called back and said he changed his mind but said i could share it by giving a link to it - so here it is

http://enfusemagazine.com/literature/content.cfm?article_id=306

• seesthesky
    seesthesky

two of his other poems at that site are pretty risque imho

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit