What religion have you changed to now that no longer a witness?

by AK - Jeff 56 Replies latest jw friends

• doogie
    doogie

i attended a catholic church with my girlfriend for awhile (not out of interest, but just so she wouldn't have to sit by herself). i now find it nauseating. literally nausous. it's the weirdest thing. i still try to go with her on easter and christmas but i probably won't be doing that anymore. last time i went they tried to sprinkle holy water on me. i ducked.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

CICHISH

Church of IPsecs Consciousness and the Holy Internal Self-deism for Humanity.

Organized religion blows chunks as far as I'm concerned.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

I'm going to be hitting a Unitarian church this Sunday to check it out. They have no real doctrines and are mostly interested in humanitarian concerns so it should be interesting.

GBL

• Preston
    Preston

Creedish

- Preston (of the "Chuck Pahlaniuk" class)

• doogie
    doogie
    Creedish

i thouht they were all dead. (god, i'm such a dork)

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Is creedish anything like the Brethern of Tremoni?

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

Nice call Preston, I love that book man.

GBL

• avishai
    avishai

Discordian subgenius. Wait, no i'm not. Well, maybe. I guess you'll just have to figger that one out.

alt

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Jeff

I'm feel a like you do, even though my religion wasn't JW. I was a Catholic then Adventist, then agnostic for many years. Ironically, due to my friend becoming a JW recently, and me seeing the harm it is doing, I have studied WTS & Bible for 6 months, to warn him - its a losing battle for me. In doing so, I have started to understand what was right and wrong with my former religions, both of which were much closer to Christianity than WTS, without any doubt whatsoever. I have also discovered there are many religions that are indeed Christianity, who tolerate many views but share essential truths. Like others here, I am afraid to take a plunge but feel that I am leaning towards Christianity, perhaps I never lost it from my teen years when I was at peace when I believed the following promise:

John 5:24 (NWT) Most truly I say to you, he that hears my word and believes in him that sent me has everlasting life, and he does not come into judgement but has passed over from death to life.

I wonder how the Watchtower explains the above which I believe was addressed to all. Or some of my other favourites as follows:

John 3:16

For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.

Romans 10:9

If you confess with your mouth Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

1 John 2:27

But the anointing which you have received of Him abides in you, and you need not that any man teach you; but as the same anointing teaches you of all things, and is no lie, and even as it has taught you, you shall abide in Him.

• upside/down
    upside/down
    Just don't know!

"It doesn't matter..."- Rafikki (Lion King)

I'm gonna have to speak for our resident mystik JamesThomas... I think you're trying to reinvent the wheel. Do a paradigm shift and get outside the box... way outside. Try and see the real reason you try fit a "religion" into your life... there really is no need.

I certainly don't have the answers... but I'm slowly coming to learn that all of my questions appear pointless as ultimately they only pertain to me. I'm concentrating on actually living life now... instead of intellectualizing and dogmatizing it. Once you throw off the weight of "religion", why would I go back.

u/d (of the not too mystical class)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit