What religion have you changed to now that no longer a witness?

by AK - Jeff 56 Replies latest jw friends

• lilbit
    lilbit

Right now Im studying religion in general and Ive come to the conclusion that none of them have it exactly right. The closest thing Ive found that hit home for me is Neo-Paganism no specific path though the Celtic Path is what most interests me at the moment

• ValiantBoy
    ValiantBoy

Am associated with the UCC--United Church of Christ... this is the liberal off shoot of the Congregationalist Family..not the conservative Church of Christ that is active throughout the south

I more closely identify with Taoism tho

• Motema Bolingo
    Motema Bolingo

We were both Jehovah's Witnesses from 1956 till 1997 (41 years ...)

In 1998, we joigned the Roman Catholic Church.

In 1956, we married in the kingdom hall ... and in 1999, we married in the catholic church.

We are very active in our community, being responsible for the Liturgy and belonging to the pastoral team.

Jacques and Jacqueline

My experience as a kid raised in the JW cult taught me that I don't need organized religion. I subscribe to Thoreau's view, "deity comes from within."

• claytoncapeletti
    claytoncapeletti

I have found myself drifting towards Buddhism. It's a wonderful way to live yourself without the relying on a "church" to tell me how to live my live. Zen Buddhism has helped me calm my inner voice and become at peace with myself. Most importantly it opened my eyes to see how closed off my life was while I was in the borg. Anyone who hasnt tried mediation should give it a shot itsgreat.

• kilroy2
    kilroy2

Atheist and proud of it.

I have read much on the bible, and how it came to be the book that Christians believe that god gave man, That it was a bunch of pampas old ass holes that got together and decided to make this writing part of the bible and not others.

That the bible has so many contradictions in it, it is a joke to believe it is any thing more than an old group of books that man has written to try to explain what science had not been able to at the time, we now have science to show us how things work, that natural disasters are not god punishing us for being "bad",that sickness is not from god, but from other explainable and many times treatable causes.

That when you talk to god, any god you talk to yourself.

That the bible is a book of insignificant stories, most stolen from older religions,

That by believing in the bible or any other religion is to give up your individual thought process, religion, all religion is the process of control of the people.

I have come to hate all religion, no mater what it professes to believe, I cant stand the Christians yelping to keep Terri schiavo alive, or the Moslems telling some ass hold to fly a plane into a building so he can get 72 never before screwed burkas, they are all mind numb idiots.

The only other group besides atheists I have any respect for are agnostics, at least they admit they don't know.

• louieb78
    louieb78

What religion have you changed to now that no longer a witness? I feel that the only real way is to study it out in your mind and do as the Bible states: James 1:5 ---- If any of you lack wisdom ask god! At the end of the day if he does exsist surely he would want us to attend the church and may, just may have a preference as to which one.

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Kilroy,

Not so sure its good to group all christians, moslems, agnostics etc into headings like the Watchtower does. Aren't they individual people just like atheists?

Yes, some Moslems flew planes into buildings. Some christians did whatever... But some atheists did some bad things too, but I don't judge you based on what some people did. I thought it was just the Watchtower & other similar non-Christian organisations that were so judgmental, and treated people according to a given label rather than who they are as individuals.

You are one of the fortunate ones, in that you've found something to believe in with such certainty.

Peace.

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

Yeah, I totally get what Kilroy is saying.

Not so sure its good to group all christians, moslems, agnostics etc into headings like the Watchtower does. Aren't they individual people just like atheists?

No, it's not PC to say all muslims will fly a plane into a building upon command, and it doesn't make sense. I think Kilroy was saying, these people didn't act alone, as individuals. They did what they were told. They are controlled by religion. Not all religion is that radical these days, but I completely agree with Kilroy's general idea. Religion is not for me!

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Honesty:

The WWC of Christ as you mentioned was originally established by Herbert Armstrong. At some point in his life he was associated wth the Jehovah's Witnesses and broke away and established his own Church, I believe it was his son that broke away from his fathers beliefs and founded his own religious order, as you said more bible oreinted. But I do find their magizine quite broadminded as they have many writers that contribute to the magizine.

But as I also mentioned about the Dawn magazine and the Hearald of Chirst's Kindom also are very interesting. I see some will have absouletly nothing to do with a religion, maybe that is good to. I also feel a part of myself wanting something spritual. What that may be I am not sure yet. I may never find the niche I am searching for. But whatever happens I am sure of one thing that it is only by the grace of God and Jesus' sacrifice that we gain salvation. It' s not a whole lot of rules made up by men.

I enjoyed this post very much.

Love Orangefatcat.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit