What religion have you changed to now that no longer a witness?

by AK - Jeff 56 Replies latest jw friends

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I know many have rejected the idea of organized religion. I teeter on that myself. But I have toyed with hooking to a little country church with some friendly people to associate with. I still consider myself Christian and might do that someday, not sure.

Any done that, what church, how has it gone?

Jeff

• blondie
    blondie

I think that no matter how good their intentions, you get 3 people together for spiritual reasons and it can deteriorate. Why clutter the situation between you and God?

A Question of Conscience by Charles Davis, 1967 would be a good read.

Kokichi Kurosaki, Japanese Christian scholar, (1886-1970), One body in Christ (1954)

The primary cuase of the (denominational) divisions is the institutionalism and organisationalism of the churches, which, without vivifying the life of the believers in them, smothers or drives it out of the ekklesia, and makes (the churches) merely dead institutions. Christians who really have life in Christ cannot exist within such a corpse and will at last have to come out of it. But in almost all cases, those who have come out of dead institutions want to have in their place another institution or other rituals or ceremonies, only repeating the same eror. Instead of turning to Christ Himself as their center, they again seek to find fellowship and spiritual security on the very same basis that failed, not realizing that it is the institution that is killing, instead of producing, life in Christ.
    Just in the same way, dogmas and creeds cannot bring Christian unity, because human minds are not so uniformly created that they can unite in a single dogma or creed.

Blondie, who has looked and found many WTS traits in other religions.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Blondie - I am sure that much of what you quote is true - and I know many experiences have borne the truth of that in general, but didn't Jesus initiate the idea of association with other believers?

I know some bad things can happen - and after 2 years out I have never made a move due to those factors. But just curious if some may have found a good experience in that?

But I do thank you for your insight here. I would not ever see myself cemented into a church of any kind - but don't you miss fellowship with others who share your thinking, morals, ect?

Jeff [of the just looking at the water, but haven't dipped the toes in yet class]

• undercover
    undercover
    but don't you miss fellowship with others who share your thinking, morals, ect?

I find it at the local tavern.

That may sound flip, but I'm serious.

When I started going to the neighborhood tavern, I made friends with other regulars there and found out that most of them were my neighbors. They have the same goals, dreams, problems that most people have. They may have different political leanings and religious affliations, but those things tended to divide us. We learned to have healthy debates on those things but never let it get in the way of everyday things that we agreed on and viewpoints shared and agreed with.

It was there that I learned that the "world" is not the big bad place that the WTS always made it out to be.

As far as religion, I guess I'm agnostic but leaning more and more to being atheist. I am not a "Christian". If Jesus ever existed, he was just a revolutionary thinker and teacher, not the son of God. If there is a God or higher power or being or whatever, I don't think he would need to operate through a religion. You can't get close to "God" sitting inside a building. I feel closer to "God" "nature" or whatever might be the reason for all this to exist when I'm actually out enjoying the beauty of the world around us. I don't need someone else to tell me how to appreciate what we have around us. As for if God created it and is in control, when he personally lets me know, then I'll give him his due. Until then, I'll have to use my own judgement and powers of reason to figure it out and not give any religion the oppurtunity to control my thinking or actions(again).

• blondie
    blondie

Spirituality does not necessarily mean Christian or even God is part of the equation.

I do find individuals on JWD and IRL that I can share parts of my thoughts and beliefs. Do I think I will find one individual that shares all; nope. I love my husband, but our belief system is not identical. I may share an interest in mathematics with one, but not their interest in rock climbing.

As soon as you put 2 or 3 people together and try making them identical in every way, you have the makings of a cult, IMO.

Even Gandhi recognized that the principles of the Sermon on the Mount had value in his non-Christian life but it didn't mean he was going to join a church.

Charles Davis (Britain's leading Catholic theologian who walked away from the Catholic Church) said:

People are afraid of freedom. They soon want to give it up when it becomes demanding. Continued submission to external autority is more comfortable than making personally a radical decision, and obedience can provide a respectable cover for avoidance of personal autonomy.

Blondie

• Satanus
    Satanus

Freedom is scarey, for sure. Belonging to a group helps to remove the fear. We are group animals.

S

• kls
    kls

I went to a church for about a month just to see what it was like . I tried to like it and really tried to open my mind as to what the minister was saying and the peoples reaction . The talks were really good which lasted about 20 min. but the last time i went all i could do was think about getting out of there . I may go once in a while but that will be few and far between.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I have gone to RC Mass from time to time and even joined the rolls and was married by a priest, although I don't consider myself to be RC.

I consider myself an Agnostic/Humanist. These are my beliefs: http://www.spiritualhumanism.org/rituals.htm

There is no physical humanism "church" I attend or rules I have to follow.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Although I have been thrashing in my thoughts as to what t o do with my spritiaulity, I am still not certian what to think.

I have basically sent away for literature. Like the "Plain Truth" it has an interesting magaizine. The other day I recieved in the mail some information about Charles Taze Russells followers called the "Dawn International Bible Association. They are very much like the Jehovah's witnesses. Expect when it comes to the understanding of prophecy, dogma and doctirnes.

I read it with a clear mind and enjoyed the literature very much and I am thinking of finding more about this group.

I am in no hurry I am just feeling things out and if something clicks than I go from that point. When reading about CT Russell and his works in the Studie of the Scriptures I find it interesting how many of the brothers broke away from the IBSA rather than follow Judge Rutherford's stern ways. He was a man with a mission and nobody stepped on his toes or he'd stomp on your toes. He set about changing all the doctrines set out by Russell and the Society even though today they still have copies of the Study in the Scriptures have changed most of the dates when reprinting those six books after Russell's death. But as I was saying I am still searching. And when it hits I will know what to do.

Love Orangefatcat

• jschwehm
    jschwehm

I am a Catholic Christian.

Jeff Schwehm

www.catholicxjw.com

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit