JW False Teachings About Roman Catholics

by rebel8 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• rebel8
    rebel8

1 and only true religion: http://www.beliefnet.com/story/39/story_3960_1.html

Now the dubs have a rehearsed comeback?if they needed to change that proves they weren?t inspired by God in the 1 st place. OK, but what about their new light doctrine then? Honestly saying we made a mistake or we need to change is ok. Dishonestly blaming members for misinterpreting teachings or claiming teachings were not taught at all is not ok.

My other comebacks to that is all religions are created by humans and are hence fallible; religions are a cultural convention and therefore are as changeable as culture itself.

Nazis: The idea that RC leadership supported persecution of Jews and the Nazi movement appears to be well known. However, I find it hard to believe that RCs themselves all supported and agreed with it, and I believe others dispute that claim as well. I believe it is highly disputed that all of the RC leadership participated too. I watched a documentary about it once?wish I could remember more. There is some info here http://www.religioustolerance.org/vat_hol12.htm that seems to be legit (contains both positive and negative info). I think the past RC leadership is rightly criticized for taking a stance of neutrality out of fear of retribution, and for their negative teachings about Jews.

Communion/cannibalism: I do understand there is some literature supporting the contention that the hosts are transformed into the literal body/blood of Christ. I am just saying that I?ve read other places and have been told by 2 priests and other RCs that they do not believe that. I guess they?re engaging in ?independent thinking? or are "apostates", LOL.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    Communion/cannibalism: I do understand there is some literature supporting the contention that the hosts are transformed into the literal body/blood of Christ. I am just saying that I?ve read other places and have been told by 2 priests and other RCs that they do not believe that. I guess they?re engaging in ?independent thinking? or are "apostates", LOL.

If JW's believed that Watchtower magazines turned into Smurfs and danced in people's houses at night, you'd be DF'd if you said you didn't buy it.

Catholics officially teach that bread/flesh thing, but if you don't buy it, do they shun you into compliance?

Pretty wacky belief, but if they don't force you to buy it, it's ok with me!

(I was pretty shocked to learn how thoroughly the Watchtower and rank-and-file dubs mislead people about other churches. They don't know the first thing about what goes on in most churches.)

Dave

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool
    I?ve read other places and have been told by 2 priests and other RCs that they do not believe that. I guess they?re engaging in ?independent thinking? or are "apostates", LOL.

The Catholics definitely have more freedom of thought. I've never heard of a Catholic throwing their kids out into the street because they refuse to believe some doctrine. I don't think the Catholic church is officially in favor of birth control, but I'd guess that most have practised it.

Walter

• franklin J
    franklin J

I attend the family mass with my wife kids. My wife grew up a very liberal Catholic; from experience I can say the the Catholic faith is a very caring community. Although I do not believe any of its doctrines; I can see that they have done some good in my community and the world.

They have their problems; especially the pedophile issues which everyone is repulsed by and is demanding the REMOVAL and outcasting of the convicted priests; bishops; anyone who contributed or conspired.

But by and large they have accepted me ( an unbeliever) as a non Catholic. I am not shunned or excluded. They think it is fine that I accompany my family to services, without partaking.

They have Catholic charities which helps homless and those less fortunate irregardless of religion.

No one I know in this community accepts any church teaching as infalible; much less the Pope. The religion is more of a social order than a religious one.

The Catholic church encourages secular education and the Jesuit order of priests has one of the finest secular educational facilties in the American Culture.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Walter,

In the 1960s my mother went to confession and the priest asked her if she was using birth control. She said that she was and he told her he could not absolve her sins.

That did it for her!

LHG

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

LongHairGal, I believe it. My mom was a German living in Serbia during WW2. When the Russian army came through her family was separated ind placed into different concentration camps. When she was released in 1947 she found that her husband, thinking she was dead, remarried and had kids with his new wife. So my mom got a divorce. A catholic priest told her she could never receive "absolution" because she was divorced. A few years later a different priest contradicted the first one and gave her absolution. Because of the inconsistancy she ended up becoming a JW.

Personally, I think all religions are full of crap.

Walter

• Honesty
    Honesty
    "Myth: RCs widely supported and helped the Nazi movement before and during WW2. (Fact: This is largely exaggerated.)" Didn't the witnesses support Hitler at one time? I thought I read that somewhere but not sure.

1934 Yearbook of Jehovah's Witnesses.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

On Catholics and the Nazis:

Many people today criticize Pope Pius XII for not speaking out openly against Nazism and the genocide of Jews. But how wise would that have been? Sometimes it is better to remain silent than to speak out. It would have meant recriminations against Catholics like what took place in Poland where hundreds of priests and nuns were sent to concentration camps by the Nazis. But if we are to be fair the finger should be pointed at others as well. Where was the rest of mankind during the Holocaust? What did the Jews of this country (USA) do in behalf of their fellow Jews in Europe? What did President Roosevelt or British Prime Minister Churchill do to help the Jews during the war years? Most took an active part only when the war came to an end, whereas Pius XII was working all those years, through the clergy and the Catholic laity, hiding hundreds of thousands of Jews--in monasteries, convents, schools, homes, and even in the Vatican itself. It has been estimated that as many as 850,000 Jews were saved through this pope's efforts. Does anyone else match that record?

In defense of Pius XII, I say that he did what he could. And actions speak louder than words.

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

I did know more than one Catholic growing up that did believe that the wine turned to blood, and bread to flesh. I think that was one of the reasons for the group that split the RC and became Episcopalians?...sorry for the spelling...very late night.

• upside/down
    upside/down
    the priest asked her if she was using birth control

Never had a priest EVER ask me about a specific sin, merely for me to confess what was on my mind and heart.

And the Catholic Church DOES teach that if you do not avail yourself of all their "spiritual" provisions, Mass, holy days of obligation, etc and deliberately do not take care of it at Confession... you can burn in Hell or at the minimum do a goodly stint in Purgatory. But you are not Excommunicated. Even Hitler was never Excommunicated. You gotta be a real dirty bastard to push that button.

Anyway, when I was as down as a human can go and about in the street with my kids... The Church that I had abanconed to become a JW was the only one besides The Governmnet welfare agency to help me... My "brothers" were no where to be found.. to this day I've become invisible to them.

Isn't that the "sh*t"? Babylon and the Beast helped and J's celestial chariot couldn't do crap... Whatever, so much for looking after orphans and widows in their tribulations.

u/d (of the will never "bag" on the Church again class)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit