JW False Teachings About Roman Catholics

by rebel8 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• rebel8
    rebel8

Apologies if this has been done before....

When I left the troof, I happened to learn many of the things I had been taught about RCs were lies. I thought it would be interesting to see how many JW false teachings about RCs we can list. I'll start with the ones I was taught:

Myth: RCs believe the Pope is infallible in everything. (Fact: RCs believe the Pope is infallible in matters of doctrine, ethics and faith.)

Myth: RCs believe the communion "hosts" magically turn into the literal blood and flesh of Christ before they consume it. Therefore, they are cannibals. (Fact: I've never met any RCs, including priests, who believe it is anything more than a blessed symbol.)

Myth: RCs believe they are the one and only true religion. (Fact: RCs believe they are one of many paths to God.)

Myth: RCs consider you automatically excommunicated if you do not attend Easter Mass. (Fact: Not.)

Myth: RCs widely supported and helped the Nazi movement before and during WW2. (Fact: This is largely exaggerated.)

Myth: RC rituals and ceremonies are evil just because they are ceremonies/rituals. Any repetition of actions that occur in ceremonies are evil in themselves. (Fact: Humans have been participating in ceremonies long before RCs existed and exist in every culture/locale on Earth. Rituals are religious and non-religious. Rituals seem to meet a human need and are not evil unless they do harm.)

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome
    Myth: RCs widely supported and helped the Nazi movement before and during WW2. (Fact: This is largely exaggerated.)

yes, its was only a few who helped the nazis, mainly the vatican.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Yes, I remember hearing all these from the JWs. Funny, but when I was an RC I never heard these myths except the one about the RCs being the only true religion. I have to admit that a nun in my first or second grade class said Catholics were the only true religion. She talked about "pagan babies" and I as a child knew it was unfair that all those pagans would not be saved. It bothered me.

With regard to those rituals - I always loved the smell of that incense!

LHG

• TheListener
    TheListener

Good topic. Do RC believe that the earth will ever be inhabited after the rapture and judgement day? Do any religions? I've wondered about this for some time and have had difficulty finding answers.

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

"Myth: RCs widely supported and helped the Nazi movement before and during WW2. (Fact: This is largely exaggerated.)" Didn't the witnesses support Hitler at one time? I thought I read that somewhere but not sure.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

I was raised as a Roman Catholic and went to a Catholic school as a kid.

Myth: RCs believe the communion "hosts" magically turn into the literal blood and flesh of Christ before they consume it. Therefore, they are cannibals. (Fact: I've never met any RCs, including priests, who believe it is anything more than a blessed symbol.)

When I was Catholic we were taught that the bread actually turned into the body of Christ; that's why we were supposed to let it melt in our mouths rather than biting into it.

You may find this link interesting. I just quickly skimmed over it, but it should explain how they view it.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/05573a.htm

Myth: RCs believe they are the one and only true religion. (Fact: RCs believe they are one of many paths to God.)

In school we were taught that merely setting foot into a non-Catholic church was enough to make us roast in hell forever.

Walter

• ljwtiamb
    ljwtiamb

III. TRANSUBSTANTIATION

Before proving dogmatically the fact of the substantial change here under consideration, we must first outline its history and nature.

(a) The scientific development of the concept of Transubstantiation can hardly be said to be a product of the Greeks, who did not get beyond its more general notes; rather, it is the remarkable contribution of the Latin theologians, who were stimulated to work it out in complete logical form by the three Eucharistic controversies mentioned above, The term transubstantiation seems to have been first used by Hildebert of Tours (about 1079). His encouraging example was soon followed by other theologians, as Stephen of Autun (d. 1139), Gaufred (1188), and Peter of Blois (d. about 1200), whereupon several ecumenical councils also adopted this significant expression, as the Fourth Council of the Lateran (1215), and the Council of Lyons (1274), in the profession of faith of the Greek Emperor Michael Palæologus. The Council of Trent (Sess. XIII, cap. iv; can. ii) not only accepted as an inheritance of faith the truth contained in the idea, but authoritatively confirmed the "aptitude of the term" to express most strikingly the legitimately developed doctrinal concept. In a closer logical analysis of Transubstantiation, we find the first and fundamental notion to be that of conversion, which may be defined as "the transition of one thing into another in some aspect of being". As is immediately evident, conversion (conversio) is something more than mere change (mutatio). Whereas in mere changes one of the two extremes may be expressed negatively, as, e.g., in the change of day and night, conversion requires two positive extremes, which are related to each other as thing to thing, and must have, besides, such an intimate connection with each other, that the last extreme (terminus ad quem) begins to be only as the first (terminus a quo) ceases to be, as, e.g., in the conversion of water into wine at Cana. A third element is usually required, known as the commune tertium, which, even after conversion has taken place, either physically or at least logically unites one extreme to the other; for in every true conversion the following condition must be fulfilled: "What was formerly A, is now B." A very important question suggests itself as to whether the definition should further postulate the previous non-existence of the last extreme, for it seems strange that an existing terminus a quo, A, should be converted into an already existing terminus ad quem, B. If the act of conversion is not to become a mere process of substitution, as in sleight-of-hand performances, the terminus ad quem must unquestionably in some manner newly exist, just as the terminus a quo must in some manner really cease to exist. Yet as the disappearance of the latter is not attributable to annihilation properly so called, so there is no need of postulating creation, strictly so called, to explain the former's coming into existence. The idea of conversion is amply realized if the following condition is fulfilled, viz., that a thing which already existed in substance, acquires an altogether new and previously non-existing mode of being. Thus in the resurrection of the dead, the dust of the human bodies will be truly converted into the bodies of the risen by their previously existing souls, just as at death they had been truly converted into corpses by the departure of the souls. This much as regards the general notion of conversion. Transubstantiation, however, is not a conversion simply so called, but a substantial conversion (conversio substantialis), inasmuch as one thing is substantially or essentially converted into another. Thus from the concept of Transubstantiation is excluded every sort of merely accidental conversion, whether it be purely natural (e.g. the metamorphosis of insects) or supernatural (e.g. the Transfiguration of Christ on Mount Tabor). Finally, Transubstantiation differs from every other substantial conversion in this, that only the substance is converted into another ? the accidents remaining the same ? just as would be the case if wood were miraculously converted into iron, the substance of the iron remaining hidden under the external appearance of the wood.

The application of the foregoing to the Eucharist is an easy matter. First of all the notion of conversion is verified in the Eucharist, not only in general, but in all its essential details. For we have the two extremes of conversion, namely, bread and wine as the terminus a quo, and the Body and Blood of Christ as the terminus ad quem. Furthermore, the intimate connection between the cessation of one extreme and the appearance of the other seems to be preserved by the fact, that both events are the results, not of two independent processes, as, e.g. annihilation and creation, but of one single act, since, according to the purpose of the Almighty, the substance of the bread and wine departs in order to make room for the Body and Blood of Christ. Lastly, we have the commune tertium in the unchanged appearances of bread and wine, under which appearances the pre-existent Christ assumes a new, sacramental mode of being, and without which His Body and Blood could not be partaken of by men. That the consequence of Transubstantiation, as a conversion of the total substance, is the transition of the entire substance of the bread and wine into the Body and Blood of Christ, is the express doctrine of the Church (Council of Trent, Sess. XIII, can. ii). Thus were condemned as contrary to faith the antiquated view of Durandus, that only the substantial form (forma substantialis) of the bread underwent conversion, while the primary matter (materia prima) remained, and, especially, Luther's doctrine of Consubstantiation, i.e. the coexistence of the substance of the bread with the true Body of Christ. Thus, too, the theory of Impanation advocated by Osiander and certain Berengarians, and according to which a hypostatic union is supposed to take place between the substance of the bread and the God-man (impanatio = Deus panis factus), is authoritatively rejected. So the Catholic doctrine of Transubstantiation sets up a mighty bulwark around the dogma of the Real Presence and constitutes in itself a distinct doctrinal article, which is not involved in that of the Real Presence, though the doctrine of the Real Presence is necessarily contained in that of Transubstantiation. It was for this very reason that Pius VI, in his dogmatic Bull "Auctorem fidei" (1794) against the Jansenistic pseudo Synod of Pistoia (1786), protested most vigorously against suppressing this "scholastic question", as the synod had advised pastors to do.

(b) In the mind of the Church, Transubstantiation has been so intimately bound up with the Real Presence, that both dogmas have been handed down together from generation to generation, though we cannot entirely ignore a dogmatico-historical development. The total conversion of the substance of bread is expressed clearly in the words of Institution: "This is my body". These words form, not a theoretical, but a practical proposition, whose essence consists in this, that the objective identity between subject and predicate is effected and verified only after the words have all been uttered, not unlike the pronouncement of a king to a subaltern: "You are a major", or, "You are a captain", which would immediately cause the promotion of the officer to a higher command. When, therefore, He Who is All Truth and All Power said of the bread: "This is my body", the bread became, through the utterance of these words, the Body of Christ; consequently, on the completion of the sentence the substance of bread was no longer present, but the Body of Christ under the outward appearance of bread. Hence the bread must have become the Body of Christ, i.e. the former must have been converted into the latter. The words of Institution were at the same time the words of Transubstantiation. Indeed the actual manner in which the absence of the bread and the presence of the Body of Christ is effected, is not read into the words of Institution but strictly and exegetically deduced from them. The Calvinists, therefore, are perfectly right when they reject the Lutheran doctrine of Consubstantiation as a fiction, with no foundation in Scripture. For had Christ intended to assert the coexistence of His Body with the Substance of the bread, He would have expressed a simple identity between hoc and corpus by means of the copula est, but would have resorted to some such expression as: "This bread contains my body", or, "In this bread is my Body." Had He desired to constitute bread the sacramental receptacle of His Body, He would have had to state this expressly, for neither from the nature of the case nor according to common parlance can a piece of bread be made to signify the receptacle of a human body. On the other hand, the synecdoche is plain in the case of the Chalice: "This is my blood", i.e. the contents of the Chalice are my blood, and hence no longer wine.

Regarding tradition, the earliest witnesses, as Tertullian and Cyprian, could hardly have given any particular consideration to the genetic relation of the natural elements of bread and wine to the Body and Blood of Christ, or to the manner in which the former were converted into the latter; for even Augustine was deprived of a clear conception of Transubstantiation, so long as he was held in the bonds of Platonism. On the other hand, complete clearness on the subject had been attained by writers as early as Cyril of Jerusalem, Theodoret of Cyrrhus, Gregory of Nyssa, Chrysostom, and Cyril of Alexandria in the East, and by Ambrose and the later Latin writers in the West. Eventually the West became the classic home of scientific perfection in the difficult doctrine of Transubstantiation. The claims of the learned work of the Anglican Dr. Pusey (The Doctrine of the Real Presence as contained in the Fathers, Oxford, 1855), who denied the cogency of the patristic argument for Transubstantiation, have been met and thoroughly answered by Cardinal Franzelin (De Euchar., Rome, 1887, xiv). The argument from tradition is strikingly confirmed by the ancient liturgies, whose beautiful prayers express the idea of conversion in the clearest manner. Many examples may be found in Renaudot, "Liturgiæ orient." (2nd ed., 1847); Assemani, "Codex liturg." (13 vols., Rome 1749-66); Denzinger, "Ritus Orientalium" (2 vols., Würzburg, 1864), Concerning the Adduction Theory of the Scotists and the Production Theory of the Thomists, see Pohle, "Dogmatik" (3rd ed., Paderborn, 1908), III, 237 sqq.

• blondie
    blondie

For a good source to confirm official Catholic teachings try this site, the Catholic Encyclopedia.

http://www.newadvent.org/

• upside/down
    upside/down
    RCs widely supported and helped the Nazi movement before and during WW2.

And the WTS supported and helped the UN from 1992- 2002... so they're even.

u/d (of the religion is a snare and a racket class)

• Satanus
    Satanus

Myth: that the catholic church believes in 3 gods in one.

Fact: the catholic definition of trinity is 3 persons in one god.

When a speaker repeated the myth in a talk, i approached him afterwards to explain it. He could not grasp it. It ended up w him walking away in a huff.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit