Is "unconditional love" a myth??

by Brummie 171 Replies latest jw friends

• Brummie
    Brummie

You cite your own cases to prove your own agenda. There is a family in England who did just as you mentioned, the father killed some of the siblings. The surviving siblings still speak of their bond to the father and the need to know him more.

Anyway, some people are so valuable to us that we cant stop loving them regardless..

• eyegirl
    eyegirl

i believe unconditional love is possible. my sister and i definitely share it with each other. i know that no matter what i say, what i do, how i act--she will always be there and vice versa. that doesn't mean, however, that we don't feel free to speak our minds and tell the other what we're thinking. we just know that no matter what, nothing and no one will ever seperate us again.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

:It didn't matter if someone became a prostitute or drug dealer, they were still family and would be treated as such.

I'd guess that the prostitutes and drug dealing members of the family are treated quite differently than the rest. Of course, for some families, a culture of sleaze is the norm, and it is the goody two shoes who is treated differently; the sleazy family members are the ones shown the most affection.

• Brummie
    Brummie
    Hillary, which part of "I can only relate it to my family" dont you understand?

Can you answer my question now >wink<

eyegirl, thats what I mean. x x x

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Brummie,

By "unconditional love" don't you mean "morally unconditional love"?

In that case I'd tend to agree with you, just adding that "love" then is the most amazingly unfair, partial, amoral and lawless "value" you can think of.

But the more morally unconditional it gets the more personally conditional it is.

Reminds me of Montaigne's famous definition of friendship: "Because it was him, because it was me."

• Brummie
    Brummie

Good thoughts Narkissos.

I guess I am not addressing "morally unconditional" but just love that you still have for the person regardless of the crime. Its not based on the condition that "if you do this ..then I will still love you" Or, if "if you be good, then I will still love you". I think there are people in this world that we will love regardless.

Brummie

• Brummie
    Brummie
    Do you think the readers of this board are as daft as you?

Only those who argue with me over "daft things", or say, those who condemn everyone that doesnt "fit into their mould", like those on "the worldly boards" for instance.. Yep, they are as daft as me or, to be more specific, even dafter.

Cheers

Brummie

• hillary_step
    hillary_step
    Only those who argue with me over "daft things", or say, those who condemn everyone that doesnt "fit into their mould", like those on "the worldly boards" for instance.. Yep, they are as daft as me or, to be more specific, even dafter.

So speaks the champion of his own lost causes.

HS

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

:but just love that you still have for the person regardless of the crime.

So, morally unconditional then?

• Brummie
    Brummie

From a humanistic viewpoint, morally unconditional sounds right. lol

So speaks the champion of his own lost causes.

Not arguing with me again are you HS? Or attempting too?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit