Is "unconditional love" a myth??

by Brummie 171 Replies latest jw friends

• mouthy
    mouthy

Hmmm! Thomas !!! Good looker! The kind I like ( next to Tom Jones of course

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Ahhh, my little pussycat, only a few miles and a little water divide us.

j

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

I thought you were in England! Have you been in Canada all this time?

• mouthy
    mouthy

I was born & raised in England ( Dagenham) but married a Canuck so as a war bride came here in 1946 been here ever since . Best country in the World ( Running for the pelting I will get LOL

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Terry / Hilary:I'm still waiting, boys:
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/88921/1487465/post.ashx#1487465

What, no witty rejoiners?
    Did we make a faux pas in our petty attempt to point score?
    Whatever happened to the art of debate?

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

LT,

As usual, I think your viewpoint comes across as a little jaded, but that's ok, I love ya anyway.

I think that it all has to do with your defence of the principle of unconditional love and then suggesting to Terry that there might be circumstances where you might not want to. It was a mere pleasentry, but one I think that you took seriously.

Best regards - HS

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Here's a theoretical proposal for you "scientific" types, to pull apart and attempt to modify in the face of the "evidence":

(Love = Attachment + Constant - (Deplorability / "Unconditional Love")) Where (Deplorability

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

HS:Maybe you should revisit your comments about misunderstanding the posts of others.

My acceptance of Terry is genuine, even though I quite often disagree with his viewpoint, and will happily highlight where I feel he is coming across as "jaded".

Surely the point of unconditional love is that you may demonstrate "love" even though you might not want to or it might be wholly undeserved? Sometimes you might even show "said love" to someone who has just thrown a welcome back in your face.

Besides I never declared whether I do or don't feel that I have "unconditional love" towards him, so I fail to see how that would affect my argument one iota, hence your replies were surely impolite at best?

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

LT,

My acceptance of Terry is genuine, even though I quite often disagree with his viewpoint, and will happily highlight where I feel he is coming across as "jaded".

This is not so much to do with Terry as to whether your 'acceptance' of him has *any* conditions at all attached. If love is unconditional it does not depend on the person or the position of that person, but the principle. It is as its term implies 'unconditional'. I agree your description of Terry as' jaded' need in no way interfere with this principle and that is not what I was pointing out at all. This is :

Surely the point of unconditional love is that you may demonstrate "love" even though you might not want to or it might be wholly undeserved? Sometimes you might even show "said love" to someone who has just thrown a welcome back in your face.

But surely you must see that in the use of the words 'even show' and 'may demonstrate' in the above statement indicate that a measurement self-imposed conditions have already been implied. This is the definition of unconditional love from which I am working and it is a dictionary definition, as any other definition becomes emotionally confused.

Main Entry: unconditional love
    Part of Speech: noun
    Definition: affection with no limits or conditions; complete love

The furthest that I can see love extending is the Christian principle, which seems to be a unique teaching among religions, to 'agape' ones enemies. But even this beautiful teaching has its conditions attached.

Besides I never declared whether I do or don't feel that I have "unconditional love" towards him, so I fail to see how that would affect my argument one iota,

If your love is dependent on a declaration, it is also conditional.

hence your replies were surely impolite at best?

As a general comment LT, I cannot speak for Terry but my comment was in no way intended to insult you. It was a friends way of jokingly saying 'he got you there Ross'. I apologize if it came over in a way that it was not intended.

Best regards - HS

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Hilary:Apology accepted. No crime, and nothing further to be said on that score - thanks.

Back to the topic:

But surely you must see that in the use of the words 'even show' and 'may demonstrate' in the above statement indicate that a measurement self-imposed conditions have already been implied.

I guess I'm struggling to understand what you think I've impled by my comments.
    I've not imposed limits or conditions on my "love" of Terry.

Further, I'd like to elaborate on "agape". In some cases (and I cite the current one as an example) it is spontaneous. I "love" Terry not because I have to or because I force myself to, but because I just do.

There are things about Terry's manners and verbal conduct that I personally find border on offensive. Nonetheless, whilst I don't particularly enjoy those aspects of the persona we see (or that I subjectively interpret) as Terry, I still "love" him.

Hence, whilst I accept that "unconditional love" may be shown in an "exclusive" manner to those to whom we have it, I believe there are occasions wherein it is seen outwith extreme familial bonds.

Would you like to have a crack at helping me refine the equation above - it's nowhere near perfect, but it's a starter for ten.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit