New member, question thats been asked many times, but how do you feel ?

by Greyeyes 64 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Greyeyes
    Greyeyes

Hello all. I came across this site, and while still my upbringing says i should stay away from such site, I had to join. A bit of a background about me. I'm 31, my parents became Witnesses when I was born so they could give me the best upbringing they felt possible. I gave my first talk when i was 5, started setting the goal of Betel Service when I was 6 or so, became a Pioneer at 17, M.S at 17, went to Bethel at 20 for a year, and then I started to loose steam. Now its not that I ever questioned the way I was taught, the things I was taught, or anything along those lines. To this day, I still will give the best Witness possible to anyone who asks what Witnesses believe. It still bothers me that so many people have nooooo clue whatsoever.

About 4 years ago, my now ex wife, who was raised a Witness in Brooklyn all her live, cheated on me, and left me. That final thread I had been hanging on with finally snapped, and I went downhill fast. I had been inactive for probably 7 years or so at this point, so weakness set in, and i started going out to a club down the street, making friends with bartenders, the owners etc. Getting drunk on the weekends, ended up dating an ex witness for a short time I had been friends with growing up, having sex, etc. Then, while I had hated it all my life, I started smoking. I was reproved for it, (since they didint know about the sex part) but I couldnt break the habit, so last January I was DF'd. Of course thats killed my parents, old friends etc, but I havent had a real desire to go back. I dont hate the organisation, I dont blame them or God, or the bible for playing by the rules and still getting screwed in the end either.( The ex and I waited 4 1\2 years before getting married before having any type of sexual contact) I just got tired. Tired of being good. Tired of trying to make everyone happy. Tired of trying to live up to the reputation I had growing up. So I dont hate thme. There are problems, but it's an imperfect organisation, with imperfect members. I still think that the group as a whole try very hard to do whats right, to live by bible standards, and from what I've seen in the "world" very few other religions have come as close. But I dont want to go back. I dont have it in me anymore. Interestingly though, the girl I have been dating for the last 2 1\2 years, raised a Lutheran, started asking me questions about what we believed from the very beginning. She would read different publications I had still, always asking more and more and more. A month ago or so, a Pioneer started coming by her job and leaving magazines. She went to the Memorial. She has been attending the Sunday meetings and even studying the Watchower artcle on her own to prepair. No one has pressured her for a study, no one trying to beat it into her head. I went with her to her first meeting to make her comfortable, and the elders were sooooo warm and accepting. Even to me, who the PO recognized right away as being DF'd. One elder even went so far as to hug me in appreciation for coming, and for trying to help my gf. They know we live together, and they didnt even blink. My gf, is so hungry for answers. Answers she says she has searched for her entire life, from all major religions. Just from what she's seen, heard, and read, she looked at me the other night and said, "If this isnt as close to the truth as possible, then there is no truth." Of course she knows and understands that if she continues, we cant stay together. And as much as that upsets her, she's willing to make that sacrifice. She said she finally feels like life has a purpose, and that she understands why bad things happen.

I miss the old days sometimes, but dont want to go back. I've given up my family, friends, now possibly my gf. And I dont want to go back. Yet I still love everything i was taught. Everything I believed.Everything i did. But I just cant seem to do it.

Thanks for letting me vent

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Damn, you've got a lot of reading and learning to do! Better get busy!

• Dansk
    Dansk

Welcome greyeyes!

Stick around here and read about the souls the organisation has destroyed. Read about the attempted and accomplished suicides. Read about the scandals Watchtower has tried to cover up but which we won't let them. Read it all and then ask yourself if such a lying, cheating, life-destroying, family-wrecking organisation could truly be endorsed by God!

Then, bring your girlfriend to have a look-see! She'll find the organisation isn't even close to the truth!

she finally feels like life has a purpose, and that she understands why bad things happen.

Your girlfriend is searching for truth so is gullible to all the lies, attention and friendliness. Why do you think conmen are so good at what they do?! THINK ABOUT IT!!

Read all you can while you're here. You're in for a real awakening - and, by the way, you've found genuine people!

Best wishes to you,

Ian

Whose rose-tinted glasses were removed over two years ago!

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

Hey bro, welcome to JWD. Umm.. I think you may be surprised when you find out the truth about 'the truth'. For your girlfriends sake and your own.. start researching dude. If I were you I would start with Crisis of Conscience by Ray Franz. Heres a link where you can buy it. Good luck.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0914675230/qid=1113411952/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/102-5838017-4948130

GBL

• lilbit
    lilbit

Welcome Greyeyes, Ive only been on this forum for about a month now. and the wealth of information about the supposed "truth" is overwelming. I had originally been thinking about going back to meetings ( I was a bit nostalgic at memorial time) but the more I learn the farther I want to stay away. Please do research and share with your girlfriend make sure she really knows what the JW's are all about

Liz

• Greyeyes
    Greyeyes

Wow, defiantely not the types of responses I expected, but at least you answered how you feel! hahahahaha

While I have just joined this site today, I've read the information on this site as well as others on such things as the UN, the RC engine, child molestation, etc. for quite some time.I do not want to get into any arguements or anything of that nature either. I know the other side of the coin with some topics, and nothing with the others. I also dont want to bash the JW's in any way. I am more looking to see how others feel about it, both from those who have left, and those who are thinking about it.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Welcome Greyeyes,

Your girlfriend said: "If this isn't as close to the truth as possible, then there is no truth." I seriously doubt she has searched so far and wide to be able to honestly say that; which, sad to say, doesn't leave much hope for her to have the wherewithal to do what needs doing.

Is she really after truth? Are you? Is this honestly her and your main goal in life? I hope she honestly believes her statement to the point that she is willing and open to investigate her new found religion. Because if it really is the "truth", then her diligent research will only confirm and support it as truth. If we are going to dedicate our lives to something, then we are fools to leave stones unturned.

Sorry to sound so blunt. But you guys are fooling around in extremely dangerous territory which could affect the rest of your lives in not very positive ways.

Don't be afraid to honestly, sincerely and earnestly seek out truth.

Good luck,

j

• Greyeyes
    Greyeyes

No, I thank you for your blunt reply. Am I searching? No. I've searched in the past, and dont care to anymore. I just want to live out the rest of my life, to whatever end and outcome there is. Has she? Yes she has. While maybe still young (24) she's studied into 4 major religions before this one, as well as taking religion and theology in college. She has noted, and I saw it a few times myself, that she's gotten answers to things that other religions have glazed over or avoided answers to all together.

• doogie
    doogie
    Answers she says she has searched for her entire life, from all major religions. Just from what she's seen, heard, and read, she looked at me the other night and said, "If this isnt as close to the truth as possible, then there is no truth."

maybe the best place to start a search for god is not with organized religion but with the book of fables that they have been built upon.

• Greyeyes
    Greyeyes

Thanks everyone for your opinions and insights.........

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit