Watchtower study - so long and so boring

by Donkey Lipz 43 Replies latest jw friends

• upside/down
    upside/down

Yes, some people actually enjoy a good flogging.

Not me.

u/d

• Undecided
    Undecided

It has been so long since I attended a meeting I have forgotten what it was like. Maybe I should go back to a few to remind me. When I was active I was the WT study conductor and the ministry school servant, but I still can't remember what it was like. I'm good at putting things out of my mind that I don't like.

Ken P.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I hated it and always felt like the teaching was too slow for my brain!

• Honesty
    Honesty

Hmmm... the WTS writes both the paragraphs and the questions.

How can it be boring when everyone participating answer the questions which are prepared for the paragraph which are written for the questions which are prepared for the paragraph which are written for the questions which are prepared for the paragraph which are written for the questions.... ?

Circular reasoning at its finest with a Kingdumb Hall half full of squawking parrots and mynah birds who are begging for another cracker from Satan the Master..

• blondie
    blondie

I started doing my reviews over 10 years ago, though they have evolved over time mostly because the meetings were so boring.

Comments consisted of:

One-word answers from children who had no clue what they were saying. (ages 2 to 10)

Answers read word for word from the paragrph by JWs baptized for 10 years or more

Answers with the words from the paragraph rotated to make it appear they weren't reading from the paragraph.

Answers prefaced by

"The pararaph says"

"The article says"

"The slave says"

As the conductor tries to get a scripture read

The same 2 sisters always raise their hand and are called on (not me); read scripture but never make application

Out of 20 paragraphs, and a possible 40 comments, only 2 are from elders or MS.

The conductor takes up 10 minutes trying to coax answers out of the children who like their parents just saw the inside of the magazine that morning.

Blondie

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    Answers with the words from the paragraph rotated to make it appear they weren't reading from the paragraph.

My favorite variety of this was when the paragraph used a word the commentor was not familiar with, but they would go ahead and say it anyway. But in their reworded version, it didn't make sense.

Paragraph: "It behooves us, therefore, to act in accord with Jehovah's organization."

Parrot: "Acting in accord with Jehovah's organization is certainly behooving to us all." (Followed by nodding heads of agreement from the rest of the sheeple that also have no clue what was just said, and a few chuckles from those that do!)

Dave

• evita
    evita

I just remember those loooong, waaarm, laaazzzy, Sunday afternoon meetings. Oh boy, I'm dozing off just thinkin' about it.
    Evi

• bennyk
    bennyk

Sphere said: "the extra effort to add a new thought that was not clearly printed in the paragraph doesn't go over too big".

Lads, isn't that the truth! I once had a Brother tell me he feared mine was the only Bible with James 1:27 or 1 Tim 5:8 in it. Not infrequently these scriptures were featured in answers prefaced with: "Although it is not cited in the paragraph...". Eventually, my unwelcome comments ceased (along with any other comments, as well).

• tweety
    tweety

I was well prepared for the Watchtower Study...ready to be called on. Both of my children had to have 2 paragraphs ready to comment on. (which my son wasn't to thrilled about) So for me, the WS went by pretty fast.

I seemed to like it best when we had a Watchtower Study conductor who was funny or made comments which made the time go by fast.

But

Dee

• tweety
    tweety

I was well prepared for the Watchtower Study...ready to be called on. Both of my children had to have 2 paragraphs ready to comment on. (which my son wasn't to thrilled about) So for me, the WS went by pretty fast.

I seemed to like it best when we had a Watchtower Study conductor who was funny or made comments which made the time go by fast.

But the

Dee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit