Watchtower study - so long and so boring

by Donkey Lipz 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Donkey Lipz
    Donkey Lipz

i remember going to sunday meetings...the public talks went by fast (sometimes). But the watchtower study to me was so boring and not interesting at all. It felt longer than the public talk. Does any1 agree with me???

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

When the topic of the WT study is not of interest to me, I have a hard time staying awake during it. This last WT study, and the one coming up also, is about marriage and I really enjoy that topic.

I'm with you, though, most of the WT studies are very long and boring.

DY

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

you were obviously not at any study i took...but you are right about the rest

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

yeah, boring. I try not to stay for it if I go on a Sunday.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Even when I was true believer, the Watchtower was grueling. I often drew a little matrix and randomly wrote the paragraph numbers in the boxes. Then when a paragraph was finally over, I colored in the box. It kept me partially entertained. If it was a particularly boring one, I copied the matrix onto each page.

The killer is when all the paragraphs are over, and you still have the summary box to go over! Will it EVER end?!?

Mercifully, it did. Until Tuesday, when the book study was only a little better... Then Sunday again...

Thursdays weren't so bad, the talks are mostly short. For some reason, that seemed to make the whole thing go faster.

Thanks for reminding me how glad I am that I am not subjected to that anymore!!!

Dave

• JH
    JH

What I hate, is when the meetings exceed 2 hours. Most of the times I went, the meetings never finished on time.

• zaphod
    zaphod

i must have been a total geek. i loved the watchtower study and always prepared deep and thoughtful answers to all of the questions. it also interested me to listen to others comments and get a different perspective that i had never thought of.

the only thing that did perturb me about this and other participatory meetings was that it was always the same people that studied up and answered and that is maybe where the boredom issue comes into it.

i suppose that you get out of a thing what you're prepared to put into it.

zaphod

• Mary
    Mary

Yes the Botchtower studies were and still are boring as hell.........the only thing more boring was listening to Al Gore or studying Babylon the Great Has Fallen with a Bookstudy conductor who was in a semi-coma and would go off on tangents about tool and die stuff that no one had a clue what he was talking about.......I learned to sleep with my eyes open on Tuesday nights..........

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    the only thing that did perturb me about this and other participatory meetings was that it was always the same people that studied up and answered and that is maybe where the boredom issue comes into it.

i suppose that you get out of a thing what you're prepared to put into it.

You aren't wrong here, it DID go faster for me if I was prepared and ready to comment. One congregation I was in, it seemed like everybody read it thoroughly beforehand and thought about it, so there was a real dialogue. The conductor was also brilliant, so those studies were the easiest ones to get through.

I soon found that wasn't the norm, though. In most congregations I've attended, people just parroted the answers from the 'tower. That was extremely boring.

Dave

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I thought of Thursday nights as the worst. It wiped out the whole night (at the end of a long day) and the Service Meeting was as boring if not more than the Watchtower Study (at least the Watchtower magazine had pictures to look at when I was bored).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit