Watchtower study - so long and so boring

by Donkey Lipz 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Balsam
    Balsam

When I was still going to meetings after being disf'ed my (now husband) sweety went with me. He had never been a JW. He said to me these WT studies are real yawners. I had to laugh because yes they were. So I asked why he thought so? He said, "no one give an outside opinion besides just quoting the paragraph which had already been read". He said it was no discussion, it was just a bunch of people parroting what the WTS told them to say. From that moment on I though he is right. I asked him for his other observations. There was a talk on mercy and love that Jesus displayed, one example of Jesus kindness toward the Israelite women with a 20 year flow of blood who touched Jesus but he didn't condemn her. My Sweety said to me, "Why is it that they can speak of such love an mercy but treat you like a dirty smelling dog at the meetings. Not even common politeness to you or even to me who has never been a JW. He had point, we never returned to the meetings ever again. My brain began to wake up, and see it all for what it really was. A man controlled organization that had no love or mercy for its followers or even those who they viewed as unclean.

Yep those WT studies on Sunday could be real snoozers. Some talks on Sunday were just as bad depending on the speaker. I have since heard college professors give lively and interesting discourses on the bible that just left you amazed. Lively discussions and a variety of thoughts shared among students.

• cyborgVision
    cyborgVision

I don't think you're alone in that feeling, i've seen even hardcore JW drowsing through it

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

In the 70's the paragraphs were 30 to 40 paragraphs long, deep studies on the major prophets. Fred Franz loved to go on and on and on, and ssoooo, thereforeeeee, snore, just like the prophets of old, we eee tooo, speakkk, Jehovahh'sss wordsss.snore.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Anyone?........ Anyone?......... Bueller..........Bueller

• blondie
    blondie

Proof that Blueblades was not kidding.

In my grandfather's day, there was no set amount of material to study (much like the book study in the 60's and 70's). So they were argue and discuss only 4 or 5 paragraphs in one Sunday.

Before that in the 20's and earlier, the WT was not even studied, there weren't study articles and questions...they studied the Studies in the Scriptures.

w70 2/15 "With All That You Acquire, Acquire Understanding" ***

50. Besides increasing our Bible knowledge and understanding, what else has this book been designed to accomplish?

• cyborgVision
    cyborgVision

I started doing my reviews over 10 years ago, though they have evolved over time mostly because the meetings were so boring.

Comments consisted of:

One-word answers from children who had no clue what they were saying. (ages 2 to 10)

Answers read word for word from the paragrph by JWs baptized for 10 years or more

Answers with the words from the paragraph rotated to make it appear they weren't reading from the paragraph.

Answers prefaced by

"The pararaph says"

"The article says"

"The slave says"

As the conductor tries to get a scripture read

The same 2 sisters always raise their hand and are called on (not me); read scripture but never make application

Out of 20 paragraphs, and a possible 40 comments, only 2 are from elders or MS.

The conductor takes up 10 minutes trying to coax answers out of the children who like their parents just saw the inside of the magazine that morning.

LOL Blondie, just had a good laugh reading it?. So true, so true

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Sometimes when you have a really good speaker(which is rare) the talk goes fast.

The WT......20 years ago, when people gave comments from the heart and did a little research I enjoyed hearing what they had to say. Now, WT comments are usually repeats from the paragraph....and for me very excruciating to sit through. It felt like doing time.

purps

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Watchtower study - so long and so boring.

It's like sleeping on a bed of nails, or like going to kindergarten, Chinese water torture......the list goes on.

It sucks!

Dismembered

"Don't you go dyin' on me now"

• IT Support
    IT Support

A radio programme recently suggested that cults regularly use long, boring meetings and discussion periods as indoctrination sessions.

Apparently the theory is that it takes a certain period of boring monotony for the brain's critical reasoning faculties to shut down, but once it has, the brain then goes into a kind of trance-like hypnotic state, during which the most ridiculous notions will be accepted as 'truth.'

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

IT support - this makes so much sense! I would love to know why I believed the shit I did and for so long. I constantly ask myself am I really that stupid?!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit