Will reading CoC automatically make me want to leave WTS?

by ljwtiamb 92 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

Reading COC for me didn't make me leave. I had already left the year before. BUT it did help me feel better about my decision.

There are some disturbing things in there. If you are thinking of leaving anyway, well, it may help to push you. But, if you are just curious, it probably won't. Things that happen in that book were quite a while ago. Witnesses that truly believe in the WTS can reason that they governing body is not perfect, and one man's bad experience, and lack of faith, should make you leave. blah blah blah...and make you feel very guilty.

Hey, I say read it either way...you have a right to know the real story behind Franz leaving.

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

by the way...one of the things that disgusted me the most was how Franz had devoted his entire life to the WTS, but then got booted out, and was forced to fend for himself financially.

You know, a lot is said about the Catholic Church, but at least they will take care of thier priests and nuns that serve them.

• avishai
    avishai
    The things you describe exist in every organization that I have associated with religious, educational and secular

Oh reeeaallly? So the other org.s you associate with kill at least as many of their own members per year as Jonestown with a continually changing medical policy? They continue to cover their asses when they KNOW they screwed up in covering for child molesters? (hell, the catholics even fessed up for that)?

Well, Abe lincoln said:

You may deceive all the people part of the time, and part of the people all the time, but not all the people all the time.

If you fall into the second category, no. Your hosed. That's why many folks stay witnesses.

Here's another quote that explains dubs.

Never underestimate the power of the human mind to believe what it wants to believe, no matter the conflicting evidence - Caedmon Erb, Dune, House Harkonnen, Brian Herbert

• JW83
    JW83

It should!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

No - not necessarily. I first read C of C in 1987. I then became an elder shortly after. I re-read a newer version in the 19902 adn in Search of Christian Freedom and The Gentile Times Reconsiddered. I am still a JW in good standing. However, it has had the effect of no longer trusting anything coming out of Brooklyn - but I do still believe in God - I think

• undercover
    undercover

Why do we need to ask ourselves that question? Are we afraid to read a book? If we are, where did that fear come from? It's a book. What sin or crime is it to read a book?

If we feel guilt or fear about reading this book, then maybe the WTS has it's cult control on us and it keeps us from questioning them. Or it could be because we are afraid of the truth about the 'truth' and if the book confirms our fears then our whole world gets turned upside down.

So the question should be, "Do I want to continue to live under someone else's control or do I want to be in control of myself?"

• ljwtiamb
    ljwtiamb

I actually stopped at a 'christian' bookstore last night to see if they had it.

No, but could order it. (Booyah! Nice block by the angels!)

Besides, being nervous that someone might recognize my car outside, (why can't they sell these things in nudie bars, at least I can explain what I was doing in there?!?!?) I felt guilty for attempting to be deceptive. Happily the store clerk did not ask if I was a JW (I was prepared to lie like Peter after the lord's supper!)

Nonetheless, if I get enough nerve (or curiosity) today, I will try a local library or barnes & noble.

• ljwtiamb
    ljwtiamb

eyebrow2:

( u wrote:) by the way...one of the things that disgusted me the most was how Franz had devoted his entire life to the WTS, but then got booted out, and was forced to fend for himself financially.

Although, I can understand your disgust, as an ex-bethelite, we have already gotten over that hurdle.

One of the last things they tell you on the way (honorable or dishonorable discharge) is NOT to use WTS as a reference on your resume.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Reading C of C prompted me to become an active publisher again.

• ljwtiamb
    ljwtiamb

slimboy:

Really? Please explain ...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit