Will reading CoC automatically make me want to leave WTS?

by ljwtiamb 92 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

When I read CoC, I was pretty much where it sounds like you are right now: I believed that the WTS was one religion among many, each with their good and bad points, but I was prepared to stick with it and try to promote reform from within.

Reading CoC freed me from the subconscious emotional dependency that I still had on the org, and didn't even realize that I had until I read it.

I don't know what effect--if any--CoC will have on you. But Ray has a unique perspective, and I think that you owe it to yourself to at least give it a read.

• cyberguy
    cyberguy

ljwtiamb,

Why not read Ray's books and find out? Ray was privy to a lot more inside information than you were while in the "happy place!" I'm an x-Bethelite too, but I learned a ton of stuff from his books, although having been exposed to a ton of realities from my own involvement/experience with the Publishing Department. Anyway, why are you asking this question? If you're fearful of mamma-ORG, then why are you here on this board in the first place? I don't get it, unless you have doubts. If this is the case, then you've come to the right place. And I might add, don't take criticism too seriously here, since most of the folks care about your beliefs and you personally, more here than mamma-ORG ever could!

I wish you the best in your search! Take care!

Cyber

• Ticker
    Ticker

Just to clarify one point, yes their are good people in the org. but they are captives of that manmade concept. Would you rather be captivated by a myth or enjoy freedom in truth. When I look at the org. I see a corporation wearing the mask of a religion. Very similar to Jesus illustration of wolves in sheeps clothing, appearing outwardly kind but inside ravenous wolves ready to devour. The choice is yours but I see no profit in keeping ties with a corrupt religious system, unless family members are involved, that can create a whole new understandable scenario. Also both books are a great read and well worth having, their not demeaning but only proclamate truth about the org.

Ticker

• ljwtiamb
    ljwtiamb

These comments have given me one HECK of a lot to think about.

Not just, WHAT has been stated, but even more importantly the manner in which they have been said.

Also, your wide range of experience within the WTS org speaks volumes.

Thanks! It's gonna take me a few days to prayerfully go over all of this.

Thanks again!

• garybuss
    garybuss

If I wanted to stay a Witness I wouldn't read Crisis Of Conscience, any Watch Tower publication before 2001, nor would I read posts on this site.

• logansrun
    logansrun

I read Crisis of Conscience at a Starbucks one day near a library about an hour and a half away from my congregation's territory. (I wanted to stay far enough away, you know).

I still remember the nervous feeling I had handing over my library card to check it out. Would Jehovah strike me down right there? Would his spirit cause an elder to just "happen" upon me in my initial act of outward faithlessness?

Well, I read that book in one day -- 9 o'clock in the morning became 5'o'clock in the afternoon in what seemed like a matter of moments. It's amazing how fast one can read when issues of such personal and universal importance are at stake. The emotions I felt were mixed. One part of me -- which already was seriously doubting the JWs and the Bible -- felt a sense of insight into matters I had only very vague notions of, such as what the GB meetings are like. Another part of me, though, thought "Well, that's not that bad." Honestly, I don't see how CoC is that incredibly shocking -- at least from a moral standpoint -- in comparison to the "skeletons in the closet" of other religions. Franz did not talk much about any personal failings of members of the GB (I felt he could have, but it was wise on his part not to get personal), and I got the impression that the GB members were almost lost in a sea of eschatelogical expectation and beaurocratic inertia. I didn't feel -- and don't feel to this day -- that the GB members are "heartless", only very, very misled.

All in all CoC is a fascinating inside look into the tragic politics of a minor religious sect. There's no sex in it so it won't be made into a movie any time soon.

Bradley

PS....Biblical criticism and evolution did much more for curing me of my Watchtower beliefs than did Ray Franz, btw.

• Quotes
    Quotes

Why NOT read it? Why are you hesitating?

Consider: if it is full of lies and slander, you will recognize it as such, dismiss it, and be able to honestly say you tried to learn about JWs from an 'outsiders' perspective, but found the result lacking.

On the other hand, if you find it (as did I, and many many others) full of documented facts, then you should have nothing to fear from such an open and honest consideration of the facts. You can then decide, for yourself, how the newfound facts will affect your actions.

You say you have had positions & responsibilities in Bethel (Bethel == a Hebrew word meaning "printing factory") and have seen the problems & secrets that the rank & file have been exposed to. Just the same, even if some of CoC is a review, it could be informative to see it all together at once. Sometimes we don't realize how big a problem is until we get the big picture.

I know of one (former) Bethelite (Bethelite == a Hebrew word meaning "printing factory indentured servant") who claims that he read CoC while in Bethel, and he says he was not alone in doing so, and that it was not a secret. He says it had little effect on him at the time because, like you, he already knew how pathetically "God's Channel of Communication" was actually run.

In some ways, you are correct: JWs are just like many other clubs, groups, societies, parties, organizations: there are many good people, a few jerks, and a lot of human mistakes made. The difference is that precious few other groups claim to be solely chosen by god to be his messengers; few other groups are pious or crazy enough to draw organizational charts with Jah and Jesus just above the Board of Directors (i.e. Governing Body). A group making that claim should live up to a MUCH HIGHER standard, not be simply "as good as the others". If you really are just happy with the "good people" and "good acts" you see in the world of Watchtower, then you might consider switching to the Rotary Club or perhaps Habitat for Humanity. I promise you, you will feel a lot better doing a volunteer work which actually helps those in need. (WT claims to be a "charitable religious organization", but I see very littly charity and very much book & magazine selling).

Please spend some time considering that the Watch Tower Society expects others to verify THEIR religion; why not turn the focus onto yourself and see what happens: http://quotes.watchtower.ca/verify.htm .

~Quotes, of the "no longer judges a book by its cover" class

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

i was already inactive for years before i read it.

i knew about a lot of the dirt talked about in the book.

i'd been a witness since birth but attributed all the negative shocking things i knew of to individual spiritual weakness that would be " taken care of by Jehovah " all i had to do was wait..

BUT what the book did was expose how systemic the problems are and that its not just individual spiritual weakness..... the top of the food chain in the wtbs has seriously got doctrinal, organizational and judicial weakness along with just a lack of human compassion. the rank and file are disposable statistic and money gatherers to the upper echelon.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

ljwtiamb will reading CoC automatically make you want to leave the WTS?

"A man convienced against his will is of the same opinion still."

So no it won't automatically make you want to leave, only you have the power to do that.

I've seen the failings, flaws and weaknesses of this org, personally and in detail. Still, I see lots of good within.

If that did not send me running, I don't THINK that anything will.

Keep in mind that if you do decide that you no longer want to be part of the WTS the good you now see will quickly turn to a very bad experience check out this thread:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/9/88460/1.ashx

What names would you be adding to the list? That is the bad part of the WTS what it does to families.

Will Crisis of Conscience surely send me into a tailspin? I haven't had the guts to read it yet.

So do you have the guts to read CoC? It's just a book ya know what you do with the information is totally up to you and your guts.

For me it just confirmed my reasons for leaving the cult.

Kate

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

I've only read a few responses to your questions so please forgive me if this has already been posted:

I'm curious why you are so reluctant to at least scan the book yourself and decide if you want to read more. Why not borrow a copy and spend 30-60 minutes reading.

I'm not sure I understand why you are not open to making your own decision as to whether or not its of value to you.

-Aude.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit