Will reading CoC automatically make me want to leave WTS?

by ljwtiamb 92 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Ticker
    Ticker

I know exactly what you mean phrophecor. I too for along time thought the same, as if believing in some mystical legend that the GB behind a curtain somewhere communicated directly with God. I used to believe every answere was directly handed down from God in some supernatural way. We were all fooled, just like another wizard of Oz that really is only a bunch of old men deriving policies to meet their own ends. Without this book the decision making processes and insight on the GB would never be available, and the humaness of this org would remain shrouded under a cloak of mysticism.

Ticker

• jgnat
    jgnat

Interesting thread. It took me a while to read through all the responses. By simply reading a book can any JW be automatically converted? I hope not! We all have working brains, I hope. I have heard a few cases where loved ones were given the book and there was no discernable effect.

I haven't read CoC, as I was never a JW. But I have heard from non-JW's that it does not have the same impact on them as it apparently does on JW's. Corruption? Scandal? Double-standards? Hypocricy? Yeah, yeah. Any ageing, large organization with an appointed leadership with no accountability will have the same skeletons. So what is the big deal?

The big deal is that this organization claims to be God-appointed. They claim all other organizations are corrupt, and that they are not. Members are told they face certain death if they do not follow every word that comes out of their mouth. Higher claims, higher standard of accountability.

ljwtiamb, if I were to give any advice, I would ask you to help me reconcile these two standards. If the organization is "not that bad" and does a lot of "good", why don't they end the charade, admit they are a publishing empire only, admit themselves in to the human race, and stop claiming inspired leadership? As long as members face certain death for doubting, I have a big problem with this organization's internal problems.

As for slimboyfat, I have not heard a reliable word from his mouth since he came here. I think he spins words like spiderwebs for his personal entertainment. That is too bad, since it is impossible to have a genuine conversation with him any more. Ah, well, if he prefers cardboard people over real, that is his loss.

• M.J.
    M.J.

Will it prove to you that the WTS is NOT God's personal organization?

Imagine trying to prove to someone that firmly believes in leprechauns that they simply don't exist. Where do you start?

An excellent saying I have heard is "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."

So the burden isn't on Ray to prove it isn't God's organization, but merely to debunk the notion that there is anything particularly extraordinary about it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit