Will reading CoC automatically make me want to leave WTS?

by ljwtiamb 92 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Misspent Youth
    Misspent Youth

I read CoC last year for the first time. I left the Org 7 years ago. Having read all the rave reviews on this site, I thought it was going to be stellar in content, but I was rather disappointed as it?s pretty obvious that JW?s are ?manmade? just like everything else on this planet.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Because it made me think that perhaps the Witnesses had the truth after all.

Ray Franz is surely a nice man, but there is no substance to his book.

Jehovah's Witnesses offer a totality.

• Satanus
    Satanus
    One of the last things they tell you on the way (honorable or dishonorable discharge) is NOT to use WTS as a reference on your resume.

That is interesting. I worked in a trade at the canadian bethel for almost a yr. I had previously been a contractor in that trade for several yrs, although not certified. Upon leaving bethel, in order to get that certification in another province, the home overseer wrote me a letter on wt stationary, giving me credit for the time that i worked there.

S

• Quotes
    Quotes

=====================
    Ray Franz is surely a nice man, but there is no substance to his book.
    =====================

Funny, that's how I feel about all the books coming from Brooklyn.

SBF, what do you call substance? Proof in the form of photocopies of letters to elders, internal memos, etc? First hand account recollections written a few years after the events occurred? All that is in there. Is that not substantive?

Consider, OTOH, any typical WT book/mag, which uses as its "proof" phrases like:

• "one newspaper reported..."

• "a Scientific Journal claims that..."

• "a noted scholar has stated that..."

• "many scientists agree that..."

• and the best yet: the anonymity of the author of the book or article

Statements like the above are regulary present in WT literature. They are hollow attempts to provide substance, as they appeal to authority, while simultaneoulsy making it impossible to verify both the accuracy and the context of the statement. That is why I say that WT lit. has "no substance".

ljwtiamb, you can always find CoC online at amazon.com; or you can order it directly from the publisher: http://www.commentarypress.com/ Either way, you can order it without worrying about who will see you parked where.
  • logansrun
    logansrun

Basically, the substance of CoC can be summed up (in my lowly opinion) in two sentences:

1) There is no reason to believe that 607BCE is the date for Jerusalem's first destruction.

2) The GB vote (or at least used to vote) on matters of great importance that affect millions of lives and cannot agree amongst themselves.

That's not a lot of information, but it is rather damning. With a house of cards it is only necessary to remove one for the whole thing to come tumbling down.

B.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Not sure how to pronounce your name, but to your question...Reading CoC had almost no affect on me as I had seen so much hypocracy at the local level, and by the "mid management" I knew the corporate culture had to run through the entire organization. I read it long after I left the Publishing Company. It did confirm what I had guessed to be the situation.. probably understated at that.

Wish you well

carmel

• Satanus
    Satanus

One heavey point in it is the story around the making of the aid book. Ray was in charge of that. It prompted him to try to get to the bottom of the 607 thing. He was unable to get proof for it, in spite of traversing the globe. Other repercusions followed from that. Eventually, the wt jettisoned the book, replacing it w the insight books.

S

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy
    No, but could order it. (Booyah! Nice block by the angels!)

Besides, being nervous that someone might recognize my car outside, (why can't they sell these things in nudie bars, at least I can explain what I was doing in there?!?!?) I felt guilty for attempting to be deceptive. Happily the store clerk did not ask if I was a JW (I was prepared to lie like Peter after the lord's supper!)

LOL...Let's not be superstitious here. I don't think you're going to find a bookstore that has it in stock because it simply is not a big mover. There is only one audience for this book, and it's very small. So I think you're going to have to order it somewhere.

And anyway, why would the angels care about your access to information? Are they so afraid that exposure to information might send you running that they have to actually block you from seeing it? Is the "Truth" so weak that any kid on the street can blow it over by quoting a few incantations from Ray's magic book? Are you going to run around with your ears covered for fear of hearing something that might challenge your faith?

Always avail yourself of information. What you do with it is up to you.

SNG

• ljwtiamb
    ljwtiamb

(with hands over ears and eyes tightly closed shut!)

La, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, ...

I'm not listening!

• bikerchic
    bikerchic
    with hands over ears and eyes tightly closed shut!)

I'm not listening!

Shit or get off the pot..............

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit