How do you think you will handle your own death? . . . . . [language alert]

by nicolaou 56 Replies latest social physical

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

This was one of the topics I talked with my Jo Ho parents about a few months ago. When I told them that I have lived an incredible live beyond what anyone deserves they said I was lying to myself. I have seen more places and things than most people. I have loved 3 times.... the first 2 times were excruitiating when they ended. This third person I love is now my partner / husband. He loves me unconditionally. I have had a chance to help a lot of people in the past 15 years. My friends that I have made into my own family... that care about me and love me. I have been very, very lucky. I am only 37 years old and if my life ended tomorrow I could not complain that I didn't get a fair chance at life. Now, don't get me wrong, I am not trying to "cut in line" to get to the front to die, I'll fight to continue my life as anyone would. It's just I am so blessed for everything in my life, I cannot complain.

My parents are 62 years old now. And they scoffed at my idea of my idea of dying. They said I wasn't being truthful with myself. I told them I thought the "Witnesses" had done them a huge disservice for not preparing them for their own mortality very well. In fact commited an unforgivable sin by consistently leaving them unprepeared for retirement and death. I was born in 1967 and I was never supposed to go to kindergarten before the "end of the system of things". Then it was 1975.... then I wouldn't be out of jr. high....then high school...yadda, yadda.

I think my experiences and understanding now with Eastern religion have helped me in this regard. Western Christianity does a lousy job of having people live their lives.

One of my favorite lines from a movie is "Get busy livin or get busy dying." - Shawshank Redemption

This is a fundamental truth. We cannot say for sure what awaits our soul or spirit on the other side of death. So we should live our lives as fully and richly as we possibly can RIGHT NOW. It has made me a happier, calmer, more appreciative human being.

Many rich blessings have been rained down on me :)

• glenwoodswoman
    glenwoodswoman

" I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberatly,

to front only the essential facts of life and to see if I could learn what it had to teach,

and not, when I had come to die,

discover that I had not lived"

Henry David Thoreau

• glenwoodswoman
    glenwoodswoman

I still do not believe that I will die, I still think about paradise earth, only it is populated by people I like and that speak to me....not the holier that thou bunch

Glenwoodswoman

• tyydyy
    tyydyy

I've been near death before and my only thought was living. The only thought I've given to death was when I was well removed from it personally. I watched my mother die a couple of months ago and talked with her about continuing without her. It seemed that her thoughts were focused on her family and trying to make sure they would be ok. I honestly think that's what my death will be like. Oh yeah, I also think that I'll be telling stories to my grandchildren as much as possible too.

TimB

• freedom96
    freedom96

Of course I am not looking forward to dying.

I want so much to live long and old, and spend time with my family, and get to know my great-grand kids. I want to live to be at least 85, in good health.

I do believe in heaven, and though I will be nervous, I imagine it will be a great place.

• talesin
    talesin

glenwoodswoman

Thank you for that beautiful quote ... it has always been a dream of mine ...

JamesThomas

Thank you.

tal

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

I'll probably ham it up... Sick I know but it will be my last chance!

• prophecor
    prophecor

I've at least put myself in the position of being insured once that eventuality presents itself. I've also made arrangements for my mom a few years in advance. Her entire funeral is already paid for. This was done over the course of some five years. I now want to buy my own.

I don't see the New World showing up on my time card, it looks like it could be years in the future. Yes, I still believe in the New Heavens and the New Earth that God has promised. I just don't see it happening within my lifetime.

• Thegoodgirl
    Thegoodgirl

I totally agree that it messed us up being told we will never die. When I first got out, I was frantic that any day wasted or bad decision was just burning up time in this suddenly very short lifespan of mine. (And I was right.) But you just can't think about it.

I work in an ICU and see quite a few people die. Usually they aren't aware of what's going on by that point. But if they are, it's just their family and friends they care/talk about, never money, etc. My grandfather died last week, and Grandma said the nurses rushed her into the room because he was going, and she squeezed his hand, and he squeezed back. Then he died. I just think that is the sweetest thing, and I hope that's the way I die.

• Dansk
    Dansk

Thegoodgirl,

Sorry about your grandfather - but a lovely way to die, squeezing the hand of the one you love.

I've been told I don't have long to live now - but then they've said that twice before and I'm still here!

It isn't death I'm afraid of - but I don't want to leave my wife and two sons behind. I also have much to complete in the garden as it's been a passion of mine turning it into a wildlife haven. I also want to help as many people as possible before I die - and THAT will take at least another 30 years!!

Really, when we think about it, we die every night. We go to sleep and (providing we don't remember our dreams) seem to wake up again in an instant. While we were asleep we were oblivious to the world. That's like death - no thoughts, no pain, no anguish. As has been said already, it is life that is our greatest challenge, which is why it is so important to live well. By that I mean being completely altruistic and doing our utmost to live in the moment. If we think about the past or worry about the future we miss the moment - which then becomes the past and our pent up lives are continually perpetuated.

I believe in karma. I accept my condition but I also believe it can be defeated. Keeping on a high spiritual level enables us to regain our health; ill health cannot then touch us.

We all know we are going to die. It is inevitable and, strangely, once I recognised my own mortality compared to the lies Watchtower was filling our heads with about living forever in Paradise and not having to die at all here (before they changed the generation meaning) was actually an immense relief. One doesn't have to believe in God to be spiritual. We can learn so much from nature, which is as much a part of the Self as we are!

I've mentioned this before, I know, but for anyone wishing to know more about who we really are and what death is - and how we can alleviate our fears of it - I heartily recommend the book Ramana Maharshi and the Path of Self-Knowledge by Arthur Osborne. After reading this book my fears of death evaporated in an instant. Some wonderful things have happened since. It is a blessing to be able to walk about without fear. Once the fear of death is banished only THEN can we really begin to live.

If I have a "fear" it is that my karma will bring me back into Samsara - the wheel of rebirth. If I am to return to earth I should like to come back in a position to help mankind. Being human we have the ability to achieve Nirvana in this very lifetime. Unfortunately, our tendency to cling to what we think is real, but which is born out of ignorance, perpetuates the cycle of rebirth. However, once this is realised this in itself means we have an awareness and we can start to work towards our own enlightenment. This brings joy into one's heart and one can start to really live - completely unafraid of death and seeing things in perfect clarity!

Good thread. It needed saying.

Love,

Ian

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit