recommend some new music

by tijkmo 66 Replies latest jw friends

• franklin J
    franklin J

try listening to Phillip Glass, some say he is classical; some say new age.

I think his music is mesmerizing.....but you either love it or hate it.

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

The new album by Queens Of The Stone Age is excellent if you like good slightly heavy rock. Anything by the Drive-By-Truckers is worth a listen. Ween has come out with some phenominal music with their last few records. TOOL, TOOL, and more TOOL.

• The Leological One
    The Leological One
    Old school metal and anything RUSH

Yeah -- same here~! If you're a musician (or even non-musician), feel free to visit a really cool and good-sized musician's forum: www.harmony-central.com (may have to copy and paste the link). My moniker there is rushtallica.

I liked the new Slipknot to some degree but will stick with older Slayer for really intense heavy stuff, and I was heavily into older Metallica. Also, I'd add for people into Christian hardcore stuff, Extol and Living Sacrifice are coming out with new discs, I hear, and Deliverance's What a Joke CD rivaled the intensity of anything Metallica put out, IMO, though they were obviously heavily influenced by Metallica.

For music not quite so intense but still somewhat heavy/more alternative, I really like Hum and am still looking into the Mars Volta (a heavily experimental band that even Alex Lifeson of Rush mentioned is on his good-list these days).

I like shred and blues guitar music, such as Steve Vai, Satriani, Hendrix, Yngwie Malmsteen, Cacophony, etc., and also like some jazz guitarists a lot like Al DiMeola and Michael Hedges.

[edit:] Oh, yeah; Anthrax just remixed some of their best older material and made it sound heavier; I got to hear a few songs at a recent guitarist competition, and it was awesome~!

• The Leological One
    The Leological One

hmmm...well I have been listenin to a band called crossfade...just some good ol rock. Am always in the mood for pink floyd tho...and when I am just bein good ol zan I break out the Korn...sigh...some things just cant change..

-Z-

Yeah; Crossfade reminds me a bit of Disturbed, though they still have something of their own going on. I bought their disc and really like the 3rd song on the disc (the "other" song they play on the radio) and was going to learn it but never got the much heavier guage set of strings needed on one of my guitars to learn it. Oh; Head from Korn got saved and quit Korn: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=869844&highlight=Korn (may have to copy and paste the link to make in work in the web address bar).

I used to love Pink Floyd but got burned out on them when I was stuck with only 3 8-track tapes for about a year at about 12 or 13 yoa = Pink Floyd's the Wall, the Police's Zenyatta Mandata, and Rush's Permanent Waves.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

tijkmo....I'm really into Canadian indie bands, especially:

Broken Social Scene

Metric

Feist

P: Ano

Hayden

Really great stuff in the Great White North.

Also check out this unsigned band that already has some great demos on their website:

http://www.letsgosailingmusic.com/music.html

• The Leological One
    The Leological One
    TOOL, TOOL, and more TOOL

Some musicians over at the forum I linked that are totally into Tool are also heavily into the Mars Volta. I haven't listened to a whole lot of either band but take it there must be at least some things in common between the two.

• Preston
    Preston

I'm a huge fan of M. Ward. I heard his new album is brill...

- Preston

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

I too like the Mars Volta, Leo, but I wouldn't say there were any similarities between the two bands. The Mars Volta is a spin-off band from At The Drive-In. The other spin-off band called Sparta is also very good.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Ay caramba, there are two Leo's around here...

• talesin
    talesin

Local boys, The Trews, check out their site ..

http://www.thetrewsmusic.com/index2.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit