The dim people

by Norm 65 Replies latest jw friends

• Ustabee
    Ustabee

Kent:

You said...

"Well, I believe you're a real prime example of an idiot. I don't know what you look like, but I believe you're ugly as hell. I also do believe you had a lobothomy a few years back."

Why, thank you, Kent, that's the nicest thing you've ever said to me. I am ugly, no doubt about that. As for the lobotomy(sic), well, I woke up one day and my JW cell had been removed from my brain. I don't know if that would qualify as a lobotomy.

I seem to be getting a lot of flack about not criticizing people as individuals for what they believe. Please know that I certainly didn't mean that all beliefs are worthy of respect. Beliefs are subject to acceptance or rejection. That's our own personal decision.

To win over a person to your point of view requires persuasion, not a frontal assault on their value system. Insult someone and their attitude becomes, 'Don't confuse me with the facts, my mind is made up.' Show them the opposing view and let their own logical thinking process work it out. How many former JW posts on this forum and others reflect this very process? Quite a few, I would guess.

That's all I'm saying... Insult someone they become angry and defensive... reason with them and you have a chance to change their point of view.

• trevor
    trevor

Norm,

Thanks for telling it like it is. You are bound to get a few people
    squawking, cos telling the truth can hurt.

'I was an oak, now I'm a willow I can bend.'

• teejay
    teejay

Ustabee, i see you've met kent. <g>

• Norm
    Norm

Ello TeeJay,

You said:

Many of the bigger problems of life must be solved by using more than one methodology. In other words, perhaps determining the existence of god requires more than just logic.

Just a thought.

peace,
    todd

The existence of God requires faith, pure and simple. You believe that God exist and that's that. If you knew that God existed you could produce observable, testable evidence for it and faith would no longer be neccessary. If God showed up and presented himself to us, no one would BELIEVE in him anymore. Right?

Norm.

• teejay
    teejay

Norm, you said

The existence of God requires faith, pure and simple.

For ME to believe, yes it would, since I have nothing else on which to believe. But there are people who have heard or seen... "things", and these tangible evidences are added to the faith they already have.

You believe that God exist and that's that.

The "you" above means, not "you, teejay" but "when one" ... "when a person", right? I'm presently very doubtful of god's existence having nothing to base it on other than faith, and I'm fresh out of faith at the moment.

If you knew that God existed you could produce observable, testable evidence for it and faith would no longer be neccessary. If God showed up and presented himself to us, no one would BELIEVE in him anymore. Right?

You've lost me. If god showed up I'd think that even more would believe in him rather than the other way around. Unless you mean something like instead of "believe" they would "know" but that's only a play with words, imo. If I didn't believe in the Great Wall of China and someone showed me a picture of it, I'd start to believe. Or know.

peace,
    tj

ps. do you know anything about the science of logic?

• Norm
    Norm

Hi TeeJay,

The ”you” means anyone who believe in God.

You said:

You've lost me. If god showed up I'd think that even more would believe in him rather than the other way around. Unless you mean something like instead of "believe" they would "know" but that's only a play with words, imo. If I didn't believe in the Great Wall of China and someone showed me a picture of it, I'd start to believe. Or know.

You don’t have to believe in something you can observe. When you have seen or touched the great wall of China, you don’t believe in its existence anymore, you know it exist. Faith or belief only comes in when something can’t be observed or documented. You might believe that an athlete will be able to run the 100m in 7 seconds, you might have faith in him. If the athlete indeed run the 100m dash in 7 seconds you don’t have to believe it anymore, you KNOW he did it.

Hope this clears it up.

Do a search on logic on the net and you will find a lot of material.

I think that most universities and other places of learning offer courses and such on logic. Take a look at this:

http://www.kzoo.edu/phil/420.html

Norm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit