The dim people

by Norm 65 Replies latest jw friends

• Norm
    Norm

Hi Amos,

You said:

Norm,
    Phew, that was a bit rough. That's the problem with brainwashing - you can't see, hear, feel or touch it. But mind you, it's no different for the rest of the world, once a certain mindset is accepted it's just as hard to shift anyone from their position, whether they be RC, or a cultist, or a political party follower or just have a mindset about social issues. That's why it's so hard to communicate with someone who is brainwashed - as soon as a button (trigger word, such as cross, Xmas ) the tape turns on. Unfortunately, logic, facts, reason does not work - anymore it does with most people. I suppose the bottom line is it doesn't matter whether you are a JW, a Mormon, SDA or some other cult, or just a plain atheist - except for the misery it causes to so many. Just Satan at work blinding the minds of people - not about the borg but the good news about Jesus.

Well, rough or not, that is how I saw it 9 years ago, and still see it. I agree with you that “logic, facts, reason does not work” on religious people. All kinds of superstitious ideas about God, Satan, angels, demons, pregnant virgins, etc doesn’t belong in the realm of the sane. As long as you are willing to accept such superstition there simply isn’t much chance of having any meaningful communication. How you got to mix atheists who reject all such superstition into that company is beyond me.

Norm

• AMOS
    AMOS

Hi Tina & Ozzie
    Logic is shaped by experience, education and belief. For some people logic tells them there is no god but for the vast majority of the human race logic tells them there is a god or gods. Whose logic is the most logical? Logic is as subjective as belief. If by logic you are referring to scientific discovery as the criterion the most you can say is that with the instrumentation available at the moment scientists have not been able to measure the existence of god. Two hundred years ago, scientists were not able to measure the existence of viruses and hence did not believe in their existence. The inadequancy of scientific measuring systems does not prove the non-existence of anything. The most you can say is that "at the moment science has been unable to determine whether god exists". No true scientist is ever able to say more than that. To state categorically there is no god is another way of saying that you know all things about everything, past present and future and that you have been in the whole universe to know there isn't a god. If you don't know everything then one can't logically say that there is no god, only that there possibly isn't a god, in which case it is equally possible that there is one.
    My point was simply that when we have mindsets - these must have had input from the outside then until we examine our mindsets, religious or otherwise, we can be manipulated by those mindsets. The question really then is, what's your poison? Cheers

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Tina and Amos,
    I must agree with Amos in saying that atheism takes as much 'believing' as any other belief system.

Voltaire:

Really, why does anyone belong to any religion? For most, I suppose it makes them feel better
    This seems a variation on the claim that people invent God in their image. Christians believe (and have faith) that God has revealed himself in Jesus Christ, not vice versa.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"You can know the law by heart, without knowing the heart of it"
    Philip Yancey, What's So Amazing About Grace?

• waiting
    waiting

A good point made here:

If you don't know everything then one can't logically say that there is no god, only that there possibly isn't a god, in which case it is equally possible that there is one. - Amos

She believed in nothing; only her scepticism kept her from being an atheist. Jean-Paul Satre

I think I prefer to just coast for the time being - not taking in a particular "poison" as a part of my mindset. I don't know everything, nor do I believe any other person does either.

I do know I'll never be in another formal religious group. But as to the existence of anything supernatural, including God? I think I'll stay away from "hardlining" on either side. Too many things unknown.

I don't know if God exists, but it would be better for His reputation if He didn't. Jules Renard

waiting

• JanH
    JanH

Amos,

For some people logic tells them there is no god but for the vast majority of the human race logic tells them there is a god or gods. Whose logic is the most logical? Logic is as subjective as belief.

Sorry, but that is an utterly meaningless claim. Logic is distinguished from opinion by not being arbitrary and subjective.

If you want your beliefs to correspond to he real world as closely as possible, and there is no real evidence for a God, then it is irrational to believe in one.

That is what follows from pure, simple, undefyable logic.

If you want to delude yourself, however such a thing is accomplished, go ahead.

You do, like many people, confuse logic and what can vaguely be called intuition. Since you, like everybody else, have no personal experience about the origins of the universe or life, your intiution (and mine) is useless. Once you learn what logic is, you may realize that facts and logic makes belief in gods obsolete.

- Jan
    --
    Faith, n. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel. [Ambrose Bierce, The Devil´s Dictionary, 1911]

• Helen
    Helen

Norm well said!!

and TR I wonder if I will ever become totally "undead"

• teejay
    teejay

Logic is as subjective as belief. Two hundred years ago, scientists were not able to measure the existence of viruses and hence did not believe in their existence. The inadequacy of scientific measuring systems does not prove the non-existence of anything. The most you can say is that "at the moment science has been unable to determine whether god exists".

Hello, AMOS, and welcome to the board!

Beautiful! I really like what you said here, as it accurately describes my current religious status. As far as I can understand the meaning of what "logic" is, it's no different than a religion, of sorts. It's a science, a system of beliefs based on an initial assumption, where nearly all scientific studies originate. Personally, based on what I know now it would be impossible for me to say that I was an atheist or was absolutely convinced that there is no god. It seems to me that atheists are as convinced of the unseen as Christians, making the two groups oddly similar, imo.

I thought your analogy of viruses (and what little was once known of them) is very appropriate. Anymore I try to base my beliefs on tangible evidence (maybe you'd like to see a thread where I discussed my views last week http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=8379&site=3). But still, no human or group of humans have all of the answers, so making the leap to "there is not and could not possibly be a god" isn't reasonable to me. As with Christians, so it is with atheists--I think people should be free to believe whatever they want, but dogmatism either way isn't... er... logical.

peace,
    todd

• patio34
    patio34

Atheism is not a belief system. It takes no faith. The following info is from 'Atheism--The Case Against God' by George H. Smith.

Theism is the belief in a god or gods. The prefix 'a' means 'without,' so the term 'a-theism' literally means 'without theism.' It is the absence of theistic belief. Atheism in its basic form is not a belief; it is the absence of belief. An atheist is not primarily a person who believes that a god does not exist; rather, (s)he does not believe in the existence of a god.

If one presents a positive belief, one has the obligation to present evidence in its favor. The burden of proof lies with the person who asserts the truth of a posposition. If the evidence is not forthcoming, if there are not sufficient grounds for accepting the proposition, it should not be believed.
    The theist who asserts the existence of a god assumes the responsibility of demonstrating the truth of this assertion; if he fails in this task, theism should not be accepted as true.
    Some believers attempt to escape the responsibility of providing evidence by shifting this responsibility onto atheism. Atheism, which is represented as a rival belief to theism, allegedly cannot demonstrte the nonexistence of a god, so it is claimed that the atheist is no better off than the theist.

When atheism is recognized as the absence of theism, the preceding maneuver falls to the ground. Proof is applicable only in the case of a positive belief. To demand proof of the atheist, the religionist must represent atheism as a positive belief requiring substantiation.

The atheist is not obligated to 'prove' anything. Ther designation of 'atheist' tells us, not what he believes to be true, but what he does not believe to be true.

There's much more in this vein, but the point is atheism is not a belief system. Children, the author argues, are born atheists and remain so until taught differently.

TTFN,
    Pat

• teejay
    teejay

Hello, Jan,

I hope you will take the time to explain something to me. You seemed to take issue with AMOS when, among other things, he said, "Logic is as subjective as belief." Based on my experience, I have no problem with this. To me it means (among other things) that in the matter of the existence of god logicians seem to omit from the equation what possibly exists but is as yet unknown.

Based on your comments here and several others of yours I've read, you seem to have much more training in the study of logic than I, so please explain:
    From a logical perspective, does such an omission (omitting the possibility of something beyond measurable limits) offend "logical" thought? In other words, does logic merely concern itself with what can be tangibly measured? And are all forms of logic the same, leading to the same conclusion with the same evidence, or can separate trained logicians, working with the same evidence, logically come to different conclusions? Is "logic" a perfect science?

To Amos you said, "Logic is distinguished from opinion by not being arbitrary and subjective," that since "there is no real evidence for a God, then it is irrational to believe in one." Again, you may be speaking words with their own particular application in the science of logic, but according to definitions of the word that I've seen, "logic" IS, as Amos said earlier, "shaped by experience, education and belief."

Logic is variously described as a "study"or "art" ( http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=logic); a "science", "branch" or "mode of reasoning" ( http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=logic); a "study of principles", a "system of reasoning" ( http://www.bartleby.com/61/5/L0230500.html). All of these expressions seem to require subjective biases, but I could be wrong.

I don't agree that arguing with the absolute truthfulness of a logical point of view is a matter of "deluding" oneself anymore than logicians are delusional. It's simply a different way of looking at the same thing. You said that, "since you (AMOS) have no personal experience about the origins of the universe or life, your intiution (and mine) is useless." Common sense leads one to do nothing more than agree with your statement. Since no one alive was witness to the universe's origins, what's left is for us to guess, whether we base our guess using what tangible evidence exists or base our hypothesis on the same coupled with personal experience, whatever that is.

Finally, you said, "Once you learn what logic is, you may realize that facts and logic makes belief in gods obsolete." That may be true for many who strictly adhere to logical thought, but even for them, there may, I say MAY exist evidence beyond puny man's ability to register at this point in time. Who is to say what presently existing evidence that is beyond our scope, may one day become measurable, making present "logical" viewpoints of god obsolete.

peace,
    todd

• bigboi
    bigboi

Teejay:

You make some interesting points there. I would also like some info on logic. Well, I was reallly hoping for any answers to this question: Is it possible to use logical form to answer a question, yet still come up with an illogical answer?

ONE....

bigboi

"it ain't what ya do. it's how you do it" quote from the song "True Honeybunz" by Bahamadia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit