The dim people

by Norm 65 Replies latest jw friends

• Francois
    Francois

Grand post that, Norm.

Good writing. Nice parallism in your sentence construction. Great use of action verbs. Perfect use of active voice. And you wove in the always tricky use of a speaker in the first person refering to themselves in the third person. You're good. Very good indeed. Do that some more.

Francois

Where it is a duty to worship the Sun you can be sure that a study of the laws of heat is a crime.

• Englishman
    Englishman

..... fanaticism masquerading beneath a cloak of reasoned logic.

• voltaire
    voltaire

Norm, I prefer to call dubs naive as opposed to idiots.(Actually, I suppose there are plenty of both).

Really, why does anyone belong to any religion? For most, I suppose it makes them feel better. It provides structure to their lives. It gives them a group to which to belong. Even after I came to an intellectual acceptance of the fact that this isn't the "truth", I found myself analyzing the whole thing trying to find some proof, any proof, that could serve as a logical basis for belief. I have only recently finally accepted that I am not really a witness. I don't think like a witness. I can't understand them anymore. Or perhaps, it would be more accurate to say that I have finally lost the emotional connection I had with JWs(I am still a witness). I accept the premise of your poem(is that what it is? I'm not a great lover of literature or poetry so I'm not sure how to classify it. Maybe it's a satirical tirade). Witnesses are obviously performing some incredible mental gymnastics in order to support an organization like the one they do. On the other hand it obviously provides some benefits or it wouldn't exist. Richard Dawkins has coined the term "meme" to refer to any idea that exists and which competes with other ideas for survival. This one has survived and flourishes. I understand why you feel the need to let off some steam, though.

Again, I agree with your premise. The value of this board is that it allows JWs like me to be exposed to the whole truth about the "truth". I have had an outlet for my own expression and have derived great benefit from the experiences and comments of others. That includes you. Thank you.

• Kent
    Kent
    I'm out and I'm glad I'm out. I wasn't brain dead or stupid when I was in, either. No one should criticize anyone for what they believe.

Well, I believe you're a real prime example of an idiot. I don't know what you look like, but I believe you're ugly as hell. I also do believe you had a lobothomy a few years back.

And don't criticize my beliefs, please!

Yakki Da

Kent

"The only difference between God and Adolf Hitler is that God is more proficient at genocide."

Daily News On The Watchtower and the Jehovah's Witnesses:
    http://watchtower.observer.org

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Kent,

Welcome back. Seems your vaction relaxed you a little - tad more polite than usual, eh?

waiting

• Kent
    Kent

Well, it did relax me a little. The problem was a stupid Dane that crashed into my car from behind when I should turn! The Danes shouldn't sleep while driving - and the left side of my car were smashed real good.

So, I needed new doors, and other parts - and to get the car on the road again took nearly a week.

So - my holidays were amputated a bit. I wanted to visit Germany and a few friends in Denmark - but I just had to drop that because of this idiot.

Except from that, I did have a good vacation - and we brought some new friends back to Norway for a few days holidays here. :)

Yakki Da

Kent

"The only difference between God and Adolf Hitler is that God is more proficient at genocide."

Daily News On The Watchtower and the Jehovah's Witnesses:
    http://watchtower.observer.org

• AMOS
    AMOS

Norm,
    Phew, that was a bit rough. That's the problem with brainwashing - you can't see, hear, feel or touch it. But mind you, it's no different for the rest of the world, once a certain mindset is accepted it's just as hard to shift anyone from their position, whether they be RC, or a cultist, or a political party follower or just have a mindset about social issues. That's why it's so hard to communicate with someone who is brainwashed - as soon as a button (trigger word, such as cross, Xmas ) the tape turns on. Unfortunately, logic, facts, reason does not work - anymore it does with most people. I suppose the bottom line is it doesn't matter whether you are a JW, a Mormon, SDA or some other cult, or just a plain atheist - except for the misery it causes to so many. Just Satan at work blinding the minds of people - not about the borg but the good news about Jesus.

• Tina
    Tina

Hi Amos,
    'or just a plain atheist...."care to elaborate on that? Atheists aren't brainwashed.....regards,Tina

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Now Tina, don't be so sensitive! Amos was making a general point about belief systems. The trigger for a JW is the cross, Xmas etc. What's the trigger for other belief systems? What's the trigger for an atheist? Maybe Amos has pulled your trigger!

BTW welcome aboard Amos. Hope ya like it here!

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"You can know the law by heart, without knowing the heart of it"
    Philip Yancey, What's So Amazing About Grace?

• Tina
    Tina

Hi ozzie,
    Im not being sensitive. Atheism is NOT a belief system. No trigger being pulled here. Uh,I don't need you to translate what he wrote. I understand it perfectly. Amos doesnt realize atheism is not a system of belief,its more of a logical conclusion.
    And I cant ask him why he lumped it in with religious beliefs? Tina
    BTW Welcome to the board Amos.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit