What's Your View of Living Forever?

by Golf 71 Replies latest jw friends

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Hello stevenyc,

It's possible that some people would be slobs, but I don't think that's necessarily true. People get things done for other reasons than that they know they are going to die. People work because they need to make a living. That's the pressing need. People who are independently wealthy have a lot more freedom to pursue personal goals, but I don't know if we can really say that it's because they know they will die.

Most twenty-year-olds don't think too much about death, and yet they actively pursue goals and dreams. Regardless of whether I had 50 years or 500 left, I would certainly work to improve the world and my own personal life.

Just my thoughts.

SNG

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

To live forever would be nice under ideal circumstances. I don't think it's possible, though.

I remember one time in college this teacher of the subject "Death and Dying" explained really well how in order for life to exist there needs to be death. He put it all so clear and reasonable so it made perfect sense. Too bad I've forgotten about it and threw the book away a long time ago.

DY

• Scully
    Scully

Hi Golf:

Scully, does living forever have to be a JW concept? I don't think so, people have dreams. How many have had dreams and through hard work and planning these dreams materialized?

No, of course living forever doesn't have to be a JW concept - but that's the first thing that comes to mind when I think of it... well, that and maniacal comic book characters who want to cheat death.

I've come to terms that while my physical body may not exist forever, I will remain part of "life" long after I'm gone. My children (and future grandchildren) will remember me. My likeness will be preserved in photo albums and video tape. Documentation will remain about me: my birth and marriage certificates, credit history, medical records, death certificate, the deed for my home, my writings on JWD , insurance documents, education records.... you get the idea.

The people who matter to me will know who I was, and what I was all about. That's good enough for me, and whether I survive in anyone's memory beyond that, I'm not going to worry about it.

Love, Scully

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

To me: living forever is an attractive proposition, except for the fact that with the JWs, I'd have to live by THEIR rules, THEIR beliefs, THEIR people, otherwise I simply wouldn't mind. I could find endless things to do and be enamored with, and I'd have all the time in the world to do it. I am a very curious person, and there is NEVER ENOUGH TIME to find out everything about every one, every place, and every time. There are people to visit, places to see, things to do. Just not enough time or money to do that. If I lived in a neverending world, I'd at least have the opportunity to do it all. If I didn't need to sleep I'd be doing it 24/7.

However, I have kind of been thinking that whiltst our physical bodies may not live on, we may live on in a different form, in a different place, and that is intruguing as well. Energy doesn't die, it just transfers to another form. Thank God for physics. I'm also kind of excited about seeing what is on the other side; if anything, I just don't wanna die to get there! That might be somewhat painful or disorienting. But besides that, I am excited about the possibilities! What happens after this?

Of course, I am dedicated to exploring the world, its people, its oddities, and beauty, while I can, and hope I make lots of friends in the process. Learning is what makes this world tolerable for me.. and for the small, brief time I am here, I aim to do just that. I've been blessed with a good life, a good home, a good husband, and what's on the other side will just have to wait until it's my time to check out. But for now.. I'm pretty happy just learning and learning and learning...

CG

• Golf
    Golf

Countrygirl, your my kind of person. Learning is beautiful, Yes, there are endles things to do, endless. What's that saying about, 'If you want to get something done give it to a busy person?' So true.

I'm not one for fishing but I watch these people fish and its a pleasure to see them smile and make a big thing over catching a fish! What the thrill of it is I don't know, but I do know they get excited! Now, can you imagine if they had the opportunity (forever) to fish in all the waters of this planet? Would they ever complete the cycle? I doubt it.

My wife enjoys gardening, to her all the plants are her children and she makes sure that each and everyone of them get attention. Hmmmmm, maybe I should become a plant! At least I'm not a seasonal plant.

Scully, greetings. Its nice to dream isn't it? Even better when the dreams come true, right? Thanks for the reply.

Golf

• Valis
    Valis
    Now, can you imagine if they had the opportunity (forever) to fish in all the waters of this planet?

dude I would go door to door with that kind of good news!

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Jez
    Jez
    I remember one time in college this teacher of the subject "Death and Dying" explained really well how in order for life to exist there needs to be death. He put it all so clear and reasonable so it made perfect sense. Too bad I've forgotten about it and threw the book away a long time ago.

DY

LMAO.....There I was, ready for this enlightening commentary, and all I get is this tiny synopsis, and then, "Too bad I've forgotten about it and threw the book away."

Am I the only one that found that post hilarious. I spit apple all over the computer screen.

Living forever is a fantasy for people that think they are something more than they are not. I think of all of the "coincidences" that had to occur for a little egg/sperm partnership to make ME! Is it chance? I don't know. Does genetic material contain my spirit? Did each of my parents give me 1/2 of my spirit? I don't know, but I doubt it. I don't FEEL connected to my parents, other than loving them for being my parents and for who they are, but I love alot of people. I don't love them because we are physically connected. My spirit does not cry out to them, in fact, I look at them, and see them as so incredibly separate from me that I just KNOW my spirit is something that came TO me, not was threaded in with the genetic material.

Know what I mean Vern? Jez

• Golf
    Golf

Valis, I'm not a fisherman, OK, what's the thrill in fishing? I will fish fish for the sake of food and that's it. I guess its the same about people who have no interest in golf. True to some extent, but fish is food! Maybe I need more BALLS to go fishing?

Golf

• Valis
    Valis

No, you just have to be wading in a cold stream early in the morning when the mist rises off the water and you see several large trout cruising feet from you...you cast out ahead and wait...the bait slowly drifts to the bottom and right in front of the fish...the adrenaline starts and wham!! he bites and the fight is on! Or watching a huge sailfish come coursing through the water after the bait...splashing and diving in the water...just awesome...Or running accross a school of hungry catfish late at night fishing with friends and some beers...or listening to the sound of the ocean while you fish from the beach... mesmerizing...what more could you ask for? BTW I eat the fish I catch...

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• rwagoner
    rwagoner

WOULD love to live forever with my family/friends....doing the things that I enjoy......as wicked and debautched as they may be...

WOULD NOT want to live forever in a world of zombie dubs...........

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit